Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To fly or not to fly? Help!!

To fly or not to fly? Help!!

Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:29 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Question To fly or not to fly? Help!!

Hi all,

the problem is my wife is 31 weeks pregnant, she is due on 6th May & we have just recieved the yellow envelope requesting her UK Police clerance. (Medicals & police clerances submitted with the forms last year.)

We have 2 posibilities, which one is better;

1, If everything is quick, we will fly out to Oz before my wife is 36 weeks.

2, Wait untill the baby is born & then fly out to Oz to validate the visa's by 19th May& take the baby on a toruist visa.

Is it safe to fly with a new born baby:scared: & has anyone done this?

How long does it take for a new baby to get a British passport?

Please help

Thanks
Mark
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:52 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

If you have support network (family, friends etc...) already out there then option 1 is a possible, BUT if you dont then I would suggest option 2 is more practical, although admittedly not as exciting and adventurous, but with new baby I think you have enough excitement and adventure
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to check with the airline.
They can refuse to allow anyone to fly after so many weeks(not sure how many).
They can also refuse to fly a baby under a certain age.

Contact the Airline.There may be some dangers to flying a baby who is too young.

Good luck

G
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression very few airlines let you fly after about 28 weeks. What airline are you planning on going with?

Your wife is also very brave to consider flying at 36 weeks - I don't think I could do a long haul flight in that condition...but I wish you well nonetheless!!

Good luck with it all, sorry cant offer any real help!
HP
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again
Just remebered something important...start looking now for a travel insurance policy that will cover you for travel at 36 weeks. When I flew back to UK at 25 weeks, 25 weeks was the latest that the policy would cover me for. So your issue might be getting insurance cover for medical expenses so late in the pregnancy should your wife require medical attention en route.
Good luck
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:18 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not advisable to take a newborn baby on such a long flight, there wee lungs are not mature enough to cope with it!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Leonella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oops

Originally posted by biggy
Its not advisable to take a newborn baby on such a long flight, there wee lungs are not mature enough to cope with it!!!!

I also think so.That is why I do advising him to put on hold all our applications - untill our baby due.

We may loose some money bacause of new madicals- but it will be more vise. We will be able to enjoy our trip - rather then rush into big stress!!!

Markeh's wife
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: oops

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leonella
I also think so.That is why I do advising him to put on hold all our applications - untill our baby due.

I'd agree - thats a really tight time span - what if the baby is 2 weeks overdue for starters?

I believe that most airlines will let you fly up to the end of the 35th week with a medical letter stating fit to fly, but won't let you fly from 36 weeks on.

There are loads of ickle germs on board in the circulating air - personally wouldn't risk taking a really new baby.

Good luck with the birth and hope it's not long before you're all en route!

HB x
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:09 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

I guess the boss has spoken!

Markeh
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by HugoB
[

HB x

Thanks alot!!!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HugoB
Originally posted by Leonella

I'd agree - thats a really tight time span - what if the baby is 2 weeks overdue for starters?

I believe that most airlines will let you fly up to the end of the 35th week with a medical letter stating fit to fly, but won't let you fly from 36 weeks on.

There are loads of ickle germs on board in the circulating air - personally wouldn't risk taking a really new baby.

HB x
I believe there is a problem with pressure on aircraft.
You really should take some advice on this as very young babies may not be allowed to fly at all!
Never mind the insurance angle.

G

Last edited by Grayling; Mar 5th 2004 at 8:36 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by markeh
I guess the boss has spoken!

Markeh

Not yet!!!

:PARTY:
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by Grayling

You really should take some advice on this as very young babies may not be allowed to fly at all!
Never mind the insurance angle.

G
Just did a check on Google.There are several sites that give advice.It seems there is an increased risk on infection and most seem to suggest the Baby should be 6 weeks old (or 3 months on some sites) before they can fly.
28 weeks seems to be the consensus on pregnancy.
I suggest expert advice would be advisable.

Good luck

G
Old Mar 5th 2004, 9:25 pm
Happy Daddy

Hiya Grayling,

after the boss's cold feet on the subject I did a little checking, BA will fly up to the end of the 36th week, with a medical note saying all is ok.

BA will fly an infant from 48 hours old, but I think a couple of weeks would be better.

I had a look at the post office & there wasn't any mention of pregnancy. I would only need the cover if anything happened during the flight, Medicare covering the time in Oz.

I plan on it being a long holiday, 6 or 8 weeks If we do fly out, but then again the plans of mice & men & all that.

Bye all and thanks for the advice.
Mark H
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:02 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya Grayling,

after the boss's cold feet on the subject I did a little checking, BA will fly up to the end of the 36th week, with a medical note saying all is ok.

BA will fly an infant from 48 hours old, but I think a couple of weeks would be better.

I had a look at the post office & there wasn't any mention of pregnancy. I would only need the cover if anything happened during the flight, Medicare covering the time in Oz.

I plan on it being a long holiday, 6 or 8 weeks If we do fly out, but then again the plans of mice & men & all that.

Bye all and thanks for the advice.
Mark H
If at all possible it is better to wait until baby is 6 weeks and mum has had her post natal check....when it comes down to it...having to wait a bit longer and incurring some extra charges.............is nothing compared to risking mum and babies health, you could not put a price on that!!! ........hope all goes well with the birth and let us know how it all goes and remember the piccies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.