Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights from UK, how far in advance?

Flights from UK, how far in advance?

Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights from UK, how far in advance?

Hi there,

my friend would like to come and visit me next Easter, but at the moment return flights from Manchester to Adelaide are around £1000. This seems to be a fair bit more than normal. Is there a time when the prices start dropping? Is it always going to be expensive because it is over Easter?

If we can't find anything cheaper then she will not be able to come.

Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:02 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from UK, how far in advance?

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Hi there,

my friend would like to come and visit me next Easter, but at the moment return flights from Manchester to Adelaide are around £1000. This seems to be a fair bit more than normal. Is there a time when the prices start dropping? Is it always going to be expensive because it is over Easter?

Thanks
Flights to Oz are usually cheapest the longer in advance you can book. So, they aren't going to get cheaper .

But your friend might consider coming a longer, less direct route which could work out cheaper. People here have previously posted that it can work out cheaper if you fly from the UK to somewhere in Asia, say Thailand and then fly to Oz from there with a budget airline like Tiger.

I'd look at the web site for Adelaide airport and see what airlines fly into it. Then work backwards from there.

Gina
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

altyfc is an unknown quantity at this point

As a general rule, flight prices tend to go up with time (ie. the longer you leave it), particularly at peak times.

I would think Easter is one of those times. Certainly worth shopping around but I wouldn't deliberate too long if I was you...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Hi there,

Thanks
I wouldn't expect airline prices to drop in the intervening time. If anything I'd expect them to rise due to a) being closer to the date and b) the price of fuel pretty much constantly increasing.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
To be honest I think the defintion of 'normal' has maybe changed.

There was another recent thread where someone said that flights anytime in Jan/Feb/Mar were around GBP950.....although Feb/Mar is Oz Summer it's not a traditional peak period. I looked for myself and GBP960 was the cheapest I saw that whole period.

I think the days of the GBP600/700 return may be gone - the airlines are coming into a period where they need to price their tickets according to the oil price....and that is sky high.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger. Chopping through all the cheap airlines wouldn't be an option as she was planning on bringing her baby (and maybe not hubbie). Ohh well.