Which Flight

Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:36 pm

katie fagan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Flight

Hi Guys, did any one choose the longer flight option of flying directly to sydney (just stopping for fuel and not getting off) as apposed to flying via Syngapore. I have just read a few threads on the airport in singapore being really good (for an airport) but did you have to transfer your luggage to another flight or was this all done for you? and when you get off the flight do you have to clear customs and begin all over again to re check in?? Did any one manage to loose their luggage?? Just weighing it all up against staying on one plane and no hassles until sydney where you have to get a domestic flight to Brisbane and I guess all the juggage is transfered for you.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Flight

Originally Posted by katie fagan
Hi Guys, did any one choose the longer flight option of flying directly to sydney (just stopping for fuel and not getting off) as apposed to flying via Syngapore. I have just read a few threads on the airport in singapore being really good (for an airport) but did you have to transfer your luggage to another flight or was this all done for you? and when you get off the flight do you have to clear customs and begin all over again to re check in?? Did any one manage to loose their luggage?? Just weighing it all up against staying on one plane and no hassles until sydney where you have to get a domestic flight to Brisbane and I guess all the juggage is transfered for you.
It's no big deal to get off the aircraft whilst in transit, and more often than not these days, its actually encouraged, so the cleaners can get on board and do their job without any passengers on board. Yes singapore is a lovely airport, but wherever your transit stop is, its really straightforward. First of all, (assuming its the same airline), your luggage is checked right through, so you won't see it until you get to sydney. When you get off the aircraft you will be ushed into the transit area, so no customs, immigration to go through. The first thing i usually do locate where the gate is for the onward flight, as some of the airports are huge,and can take a while to walk to the gates.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:21 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore airport is a very nice airport as airports go! If you have your luggage checked right through to your destination (which you almost certainly will) then you don't have to collect your luggage or re-check in at Singapore, you just have to keep an eye on the screens for your gate number and enjoy pottering about the shops!

However,my understanding is that if you do the direct flight to Sydney and then an internal flight up to Brisbane (which I'm guessing is your ultimate destination) then you WILL have to get your luggage at Sydney as you have to go through Customs and Immigration at your first point of entry to Australia and then your luggage gets handed back in at a bag drop. Personally, I would go with the Singapore option - but its horses for courses!

Good luck with your trip anyway!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
However,my understanding is that if you do the direct flight to Sydney and then an internal flight up to Brisbane (which I'm guessing is your ultimate destination) then you WILL have to get your luggage at Sydney as you have to go through Customs and Immigration at your first point of entry to Australia and then your luggage gets handed back in at a bag drop.
Yes that's correct....right pain in the @rse it is too when you arrive at 6am with a few thousand others!

To the OP....why not get a flight direct to Brisbane?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If you fly to BNE via SYD then you must disembark the aircraft and clear immigration ay SYD. If you change carrier there, prepare for more pain since the international terminal and domestic are separate and you have to bus or cab it onward. If its the same carrier then you will re-board at the international terminal again (usually the same plane) but you must clear immigration.

Your luggage will be transferred on at whatever stop provided there is no change in terminal at SYD from International to domestic.

Many airlines are flying a triangular route now rather than operate separate flights. Such as malaysian will fly KL > SYD > BNE > KL etc
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I just transited through T3 at Singapore airport. It's a pretty new terminal and very nice. I stayed at the transit hotel for 8 hours for about SGD60. There are some good eating and drinking options and the shopping is first-rate.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Another thing also.

If your transit in Singapore Airport is for more than 5 hours, you can have a free tour around the city (it’s done by the airport) they take you out in a tour group and show you around, you get to see a bit of the city, some quick shopping, a little boat ride and a cable car ride – all free.

The information is available on the airport website, but also you can just go to the information section when you arrive they will put you on the tour.

Also, if you just want to stay in the airport, there are showers, a gym and a swimming pool on the roof – the pool is great with the humid weather. The airport also has a lot of food places and shops, it can really break up the long trip for you.

Otherwise you can just take the option of sitting on the plane, which is very boring, you just sit there for about 2 hours (cant watch tv or anything) and they clean the plane.

Here is more info on the tour: http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...ml?__locale=en and also http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis...__transit.html

Mikey
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I just flew on SIA to San Francisco. The plane stopped in both directions for refuelling for about 1.5 hours each time. Staying on the plane was not an option, and we had to get off with our handluggage and wait on the terminal to re-board.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:26 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Another thing also.

If your transit in Singapore Airport is for more than 5 hours, you can have a free tour around the city (it’s done by the airport) they take you out in a tour group and show you around, you get to see a bit of the city, some quick shopping, a little boat ride and a cable car ride – all free.

Mikey
Will they do red-light-districts as a chargeable extra?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I just flew on SIA to San Francisco. The plane stopped in both directions for refuelling for about 1.5 hours each time. Staying on the plane was not an option, and we had to get off with our handluggage and wait on the terminal to re-board.
I don't think its been allowed for some time. Everyone has to get off, with their hand luggage and be re-screened by security.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Will they do red-light-districts as a chargeable extra?
Just slip the tour guide an extra fiver, I’m sure she’ll sort you out . lol

Mikey
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie fagan
The easiest way is to change planes in Singapore and get a flight direct Singapore-Brisbane. Singapore airport staff are very helpful and will soon show you where to board the new flight.
Brisbane is a much smaller airport and arriving there is less horrific than arriving in Sydney. You won't have to collect your luggage and re-check it for a domestic flight either. The only luggage you need to worry about in Singapore is your hand luggage, the rest goes straight through.