Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

fish, chips and mushy peas

fish, chips and mushy peas

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:14 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fish, chips and mushy peas

Originally Posted by travelbug
Have to agree. I dont know anyone that would really miss mushy pea's around here.... and the only place i've ever known to get curry sauce with chips is from the chinese takeaway in a silver foil tray!
remember being in a chippy in Cornwall they had mushy peas on the menu but refused to put them on my chips, said it was disgusting, instead I had to have them seperate in a cup
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:05 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Possums
remember being in a chippy in Cornwall they had mushy peas on the menu but refused to put them on my chips, said it was disgusting, instead I had to have them seperate in a cup
Nothing disgusting about mushy peas on chips

What happened to the 'customer is always right'!!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

Indeed.

At the moment i'm having to satisfy my mushy pea craving with buying tins of Batchelors from the 'Treats from home' shop in the centrepoint building in Sydney CBD. At least I can have them at home if i can get the fish and chips there in time without going cold....!!!

It's difficult to get fish and chips where I live anyway as it's a fair drive from the coast (45 - 50 mins) - all i get are pizza places, kebab joints and McD's.

On a side issue, why can't you get 'proper' fishcake butties south of Sheffield???? If you ask for a fishcake down south or in the midlands you just get a little poxy rissole thing!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:08 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

We buy Batchelors Mushy Pies from the English shop in Capalabar, and have found that Red Rooster have got the best fish on offer here in Forest Lake, so whilst OH goes to collect the fish & chips i stick on the mushy pies..yum yum
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
Quite right as well ! only joking....never come across staff in a chip shop refusing to do what the customer asks! Maybe they were worried that the soggy mess would make the paper rip and they'd have a splat of green mush on their shop floor!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TrentEnd
Indeed.

At the moment i'm having to satisfy my mushy pea craving with buying tins of Batchelors from the 'Treats from home' shop in the centrepoint building in Sydney CBD. At least I can have them at home if i can get the fish and chips there in time without going cold....!!!

It's difficult to get fish and chips where I live anyway as it's a fair drive from the coast (45 - 50 mins) - all i get are pizza places, kebab joints and McD's.

On a side issue, why can't you get 'proper' fishcake butties south of Sheffield???? If you ask for a fishcake down south or in the midlands you just get a little poxy rissole thing!

Now coming from someone who has never had mushy pea's and is from the South (so doesnt see what all the fuss is about!) - this may seem a strange question - but cant people just mush up normal cooked pea's - or is there something other than just pea's in the mushy pea's tin! (oh, just realised you would have a problem with the skins!)
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

Here’s my recipe for great Mushy Peas that has been passed down to me from my Mam and Granma in South Wales

225g/8oz dried marrowfat peas
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
35g/1¼oz butter
freshly ground black pepper salt

Soak the peas in a large bowl, in three times their volume of water with the bicarbonate of soda for at least four hours or, if you have the time, overnight. Drain the peas, rinse under the tap, and place on the stove in a large pan and cover with the water. Cover and bring to the boil and once boiled, reduce the heat and simmer the peas for 1½-2 hours, stirring from time to time. (If you can’t get dried use canned marrowfat peas and skip this part)

The peas should be soft and mushy in texture but not too dry. If they are wet, continue cooking over the heat with the lid off to dry out a little. Beat in the butter and season.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:32 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

One of these fish n chip shops (Duncraig - Marmion Ave or Marmion shops can't remember now) used to do mushy peas. I never managed to find decent chips over there though, they were more like deep fried oven chips. Must admit now I'm back in UK the fish and chips around here are fantastic, much yummier than the ones in Perth.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:52 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
What happened to the 'customer is always right'!!
LOL I don't know, they're Cornish

Originally Posted by TrentEnd
Indeed.

cos what you are talking about is a Yorkshire fish cake

Originally Posted by travelbug
Quite right as well !
a lovely lady I know has sent me Jamie Olivers recipe for mushys

Originally Posted by mydearboy1
Here’s my recipe for great Mushy Peas that has been passed down to me from my Mam and Granma in South Wales

35g/1¼oz butter

Fab, actually my mum always made her own like this but I have never seen marrowfat peas in Oz?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:56 pm
(^v^)

Originally Posted by JRB
One of these fish n chip shops (Duncraig - Marmion Ave or Marmion shops can't remember now) used to do mushy peas. I never managed to find decent chips over there though, they were more like deep fried oven chips. Must admit now I'm back in UK the fish and chips around here are fantastic, much yummier than the ones in Perth.
Its funny cos when we are asked what fish we have in the UK and I say its mainly Cod or Haddock at the chippy, they tell me Cod is vile and if its caught here its thrown back in Its it a different Cod to ours? cos I dont reckon you can beat a nice bit o cod
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

So where can you get a nice bit of chip shop roe. not the fresh muck, the nice tinned roe, sliced into rounds and fried in batter. mmmmmmm
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

martynbaker will become famous soon enough

Coles supermarket at Kings Cross (under the coke sign) sells a selection of british goods probably due to the number of backpackers in the area and I've found they sell tinned mushy peas
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

Some of the british shops sell the Bisto chip shop mushy peas and curry sauce...not bad but nothing like what you get from the chippy. i miss the chips too
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:07 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

We found a lovely F &C shop in woodvale were we live lol trappers fish beautiful fis and crispy chip and curry sauce (even though im irish ) and we r supposed to eat nothing but boiled potatoes lol not muchy peas lmao try it
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

VanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mydearboy1

35g/1¼oz butter

Soak the peas in a large bowl, in three times their volume of water with the bicarbonate of soda for at least four hours or, if you have the time, overnight. Drain the peas, rinse under the tap, and place on the stove in a large pan and cover with the water. Cover and bring to the boil and once boiled, reduce the heat and simmer the peas for 1½-2 hours, stirring from time to time. (If you can’t get dried use canned marrowfat peas and skip this part)

The peas should be soft and mushy in texture but not too dry. If they are wet, continue cooking over the heat with the lid off to dry out a little. Beat in the butter and season.
The recipe is good the one point is WHERE CAN I BUY THE DRIED PEAS IN OZ i have looked but never see any only split peas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.