Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First day in Australia and do not know where to start - help please

First day in Australia and do not know where to start - help please

Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:45 am
Just Joined

romukmelau is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First day in Australia and do not know where to start - help please

Yes I know exactly how you must feel! We moved to Melbourne in August - we have four children ages 9, 7, 5, and 15 months!
within 10 days we;
1. opened bank acct
2. bought 2 cars (www.carsales.com.au)
3. found and rented a house for a year
4. Got the children into School
5. Got visas, Phones etc etc
6. I started work 7 days after getting here!
This was all possible with 4 jet-lagged children and not knowing where to live!

We have however now realised that Oz is not for us and will do this for a year maximum. Coming here we realise how great the UK is - especially Hampshire where we lived and still own our house.

Its been a great adventure - no regrets at all - Good luck with the move!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Your doing all the right things, get your bank account first, we used the National because it was all set up by the time you leave the bank, get them to send a statement to your address in Oz. Then visit Medicare, this and the bank were the easiest and it will give you a couple of bits of vital stuff for getting the harder things.

Then get you TFN number, look on the web for addresses of the ATO offices, there is one smack bang in the middle of Sydney walkable from the ferries.

Phone the bank and give them you TFN number, this will stop them deducting 50% tax at source.

Get a cheap pay as you go phone asap, vodaphone were cheap and coverage in Sydney was OK.

Then off to the dreaded RTA office, pick one in a smaller away from town place, definately avoid the one in Sydney center, The Hornsby one was quite good in the end. Here youy get your RTA customer number which you need to buy a new car, not sure if you need it to buy secondhand but it can't hurt to get it.

That will do for your first week I think. There after have a holiday to get over the trauma of the whole process.

I would recomend you rent for a few years in different areas and cities before comiting to buying like I did.

Great Thread good info for newbies.

A big thanks to Arkon, thats the most positve and informative thread of yours I have read. Are you feeling ill!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by romukmelau
Yes I know exactly how you must feel! We moved to Melbourne in August - we have four children ages 9, 7, 5, and 15 months!
within 10 days we;
1. opened bank acct
2. bought 2 cars (www.carsales.com.au)
3. found and rented a house for a year
4. Got the children into School
5. Got visas, Phones etc etc
6. I started work 7 days after getting here!
This was all possible with 4 jet-lagged children and not knowing where to live!

We have however now realised that Oz is not for us and will do this for a year maximum. Coming here we realise how great the UK is - especially Hampshire where we lived and still own our house.

Its been a great adventure - no regrets at all - Good luck with the move!
Good luck, but what a shame you can make a judgment after only 3 months! I I thought I didn't like this part of the country for a few months after moving here, but have now been here 31 years! Moving now mainly because grand chidren are all in Oz and fancied a fresh start.Have you considered a different part of Oz? Just a thought!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:10 pm

peppa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we have been here 3 weeks now, and managed to:

open a bank account before we left the UK, and had our 'handycards' sent to us there, so all ready to withdraw cash. however they wont give us a credit card until we are working, so keep your UK one handy.

applied for a TFN online, no problem, arrived in the post within 1-2 weeks.

applied for a medicare number in a medicare office - get your number straightaway, just take in your passport and UK drivers licence.
the problem for us is renting. the mad Saturday open inspections! we had one lined up and were told that no-one else was in for it, then a week later just as we were about to move out of our holiday rental, it apparently went to someone else - reason was we didnt have references as having just arrived we hadn't rented here before! we have spent the last week trailing round every day (with a small very bored child) to find somewhere else, and some we have viewed are in shocking condition, so this has had to be our first priority.

it is difficult to guess where to stay if you dont know where you are working though, but didnt think it would take so long/be that difficult to find somewhere.

oh well, we move in somewhere tomorrow, just waiting for our stuff to get through customs today!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:14 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi all
after a rollercoaster couple of weeks we are now in Sydney.

Our plans for today are to go to Parramatta to look for a car.
To open a bank account
Get our tax code sorted
and perhaps to sort Medicare

What should we do this week?

Feeling in need of a bit of advice. Plus did not get time to unlock UK phones.

Thanks
Tara
Print this off
http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/bookle...ts/nsw/eng.pdf
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:15 pm
Tell it like it is'er

Scorpio1 will become famous soon enough

My best advice would be 'turn around & go back before it's too late' !
Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Perthforme
THANKS EVERYONE
Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

Hope you settle in quickly, don't try and do everything at once, it'll all work out eventually, we only been here less than 4 weeks and rushed around doing everything we haven't had time to enjoy ourselves and now we have started work,
Nicola
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:47 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

One tip I have is that if you need to go to Centrelink to register for child benefit (ie family assistance) try using the Medicare place instead. They provide the same service buts its much quicker.
We spent 2 hours in Centrelink only to discover we were missing a few bits, took the forms back to Medicare, took 20 mins.
This is in Joondalup but I'm sure its the same everywhere.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
As someone who got around to getting a medicare card after being here for 9 months and only getting a TFN after having a job for a couple of weeks, the first thing you should do is enjoy yourself. You're here, take it in and have a laugh.

Paul.

Agree 100%

Hiya Tara just chill and enjoy, yes that all needs to get sorted but try to enjoy and explore your new home you'll get it all done soon enough.

How long have you got where you staying?

All the best hun and keep us posted on how you get on.....YOUR OUT OF SIDCUP!!!!!!WHOOOOOOO

Sue x

Last edited by Sue2; Nov 1st 2005 at 6:32 am.