Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it fine to go with third party

Is it fine to go with third party

Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Is it fine to go with third party

I've got a used car for around $3K and I don't care if it gets stolen or damaged. So I've planned to do third party insurance which is costing me around $250 per year as compared to full insurance which costs around $800 per year.

Just wanted to check few things on third party option
1. Will Vicroads gladly accept it while registering car on my name.
2. Will my insurer pay for any damage caused to other's cars, houses, etc in case of accident. I understand during accident I need to pay for my own and my car's damages.
3. Any other caveat in third party?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is it fine to go with third party

Firstly, who has quoted that much for a $3,000 car? Our car fully comp is only around $350.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice

In answer to Q1 -when you pay your rego in Victoria, a portion of the premium goes to the TAC. This is the Compulsory Third Party Insurance and the only insurance you HAVE to pay. It only covers medical costs etc in case of accident and not vehicles. VicRoads won't care what private insurance you have taken out (third party or comprehensive) as you are not legally required to have either.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Firstly, who has quoted that much for a $3,000 car? Our car fully comp is only around $350.
$3k is the used's car price. Whereas $250 (third party) and $800 (comp.) are two options for me. Just wanted to check that if lot of people generally go with 'third party property damage' insurance.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ExSmoggie
In answer to Q1 -when you pay your rego in Victoria, a portion of the premium goes to the TAC. This is the Compulsory Third Party Insurance and the only insurance you HAVE to pay. It only covers medical costs etc in case of accident and not vehicles. VicRoads won't care what private insurance you have taken out (third party or comprehensive) as you are not legally required to have either.
Got it! But I think having a 'third party property damage insurance ' is good otherwise I may have to pay for other's vehicle damages too. So I'll go with it, seems safe
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice

Totaly agree!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Mine is about the same on my Excel. $800 is a rip-off.