Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding meat free products in Brisbane?

Finding meat free products in Brisbane?

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:28 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding meat free products in Brisbane?

Does it have to be made with Sri Lankan goats?

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Made a Sri Lankan Goat Curry this afternoon, loaded with ghee and serve with plain rice and a couple of nice Chappatis.

Doesn't seem to do the locals much harm, in fact they would be the same build as we were in the 1950s on a diet of bacon, eggs, hovis with dripping, fish and chips.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:44 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

An old uni friend used to make very tasty lentil burgers. I can't remember how, but will look up a recipe on the net now I've thought about them.

I also developed a nice butter bean and veg pasta bolognese type dish recently. (Did add chopped anchovies for flavour though.)

I do enjoy meat but am quite open to flavoursome non-meat meals.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Yup they were all blue eyed blondes this morning.

I'm not sure if the Sri Lankan goats are the same breed as the local ones here.

I'll do some research

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Sep 3rd 2013 at 8:58 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

NATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the rough

@Roaringmouse: In answer to your questions (which I was waiting for - surprised it took you so long):-

* I don't want to source 'kindly-killed' meat, thanks. I'm quite happy with my dietary decisions and, as previously mentioned, eating dead animals doesn't please my taste-buds.

* I don't get squeamish about eating veg, fruit, etc. I don't care if it was living and squealed when pulled out of the ground. My morals are my own and have their own boundaries, which I don't need to explain to you or anyone else.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NATIONAL-VELVET
@Roaringmouse: In answer to your questions (which I was waiting for - surprised it took you so long):-
Not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here. One question was posted within minutes of your related post, the other less than 4 hours after. You've taken almost 24 hours to reply. Not exactly sure what you're expecting on a forum, as that's the way they operate
* I don't want to source 'kindly-killed' meat, thanks. I'm quite happy with my dietary decisions and, as previously mentioned, eating dead animals doesn't please my taste-buds.
Interesting... you're now saying that eating meat doesn't please your tastebuds, however in Post 11 you said "I love the taste of meat". Which is it, as you seem a bit confused whether or not you like meat?
* I don't get squeamish about eating veg, fruit, etc. I don't care if it was living and squealed when pulled out of the ground. My morals are my own and have their own boundaries, which I don't need to explain to you or anyone else.
It's called a discussion, trying to get to what you're viewing as cruel. Again in Post 11, you stated that you're a vegetarian because of the cruelty aspect - I gave you the suggestion of sourcing meat from somewhere that satisfies your requirements but now you've dismissed that and also backpedalled on saying that you like the taste of meat.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

NATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here. One question was posted within minutes of your related post, the other less than 4 hours after. You've taken almost 24 hours to reply. Not exactly sure what you're expecting on a forum, as that's the way they operate Interesting... you're now saying that eating meat doesn't please your tastebuds, however in Post 11 you said "I love the taste of meat". Which is it, as you seem a bit confused whether or not you like meat?It's called a discussion, trying to get to what you're viewing as cruel. Again in Post 11, you stated that you're a vegetarian because of the cruelty aspect - I gave you the suggestion of sourcing meat from somewhere that satisfies your requirements but now you've dismissed that and also backpedalled on saying that you like the taste of meat.
I'm sorry - did I have to keep checking the forum every 5 minutes incase someone posted a reply?! I do have a life, thank you, so I check the forum at my own leisure. What I was insinuating was that, all my life, whenever people find out I'm a vegetarian, they inevitably ask the same questions you do, some in a genuinely-interested way, others in a nit-picking, pedantic way (other questioons might include whether or not I wear leather or drink beer, and I've even been called a hypocrite before - which I find utterly bemusing).

The thought of putting dead flesh in my mouth revolts my taste buds, but I genuinely enjoy the taste of meat (when I was little I used to eat it as I wasn't brought up veggy, but the cruelty aspect swung me and then I became repulsed by the thought of eating something that had been slaughtered, and by the ways in which they were slaughtered). For example, I love nothing more than a pack of smoky bacon-FLAVOURED crisps, etc. So, just to reassure you (as you do seem rather intrigued by my morals and tastes for some reason), I am not confused, but thank you for your concerns.

To conclude your little interview of me, I have not backpedalled at all. You are simply misinterpreting what I have said (or perhaps I haven't explained myself very well - if that's the case then I apologise - but it's difficult to give a short reply to your questions and I'm sure the other readers of this thread are getting bored of this discussion about what goes into mouth - and why - so let's just accept that I'm a veggy for my own reasons (which concern nobody else other than my husband - whose salary pays for my food and who eats and enjoys my cooking, by the way), I'm not bothering you or anyone else, and I personally would vote for this thread to return to its original topic.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:00 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry - did I have to keep checking the forum every 5 minutes incase someone posted a reply?! I do have a life, thank you, so I check the forum at my own leisure. What I was insinuating was that, all my life, whenever people find out I'm a vegetarian, they inevitably ask the same questions you do, some in a genuinely-interested way, others in a nit-picking, pedantic way (other questioons might include whether or not I wear leather or drink beer, and I've even been called a hypocrite before - which I find utterly bemusing).

The thought of putting dead flesh in my mouth revolts my taste buds, but I genuinely enjoy the taste of meat (when I was little I used to eat it as I wasn't brought up veggy, but the cruelty aspect swung me and then I became repulsed by the thought of eating something that had been slaughtered, and by the ways in which they were slaughtered). For example, I love nothing more than a pack of smoky bacon-FLAVOURED crisps, etc. So, just to reassure you (as you do seem rather intrigued by my morals and tastes for some reason), I am not confused, but thank you for your concerns.

To conclude your little interview of me, I have not backpedalled at all. You are simply misinterpreting what I have said (or perhaps I haven't explained myself very well - if that's the case then I apologise - but it's difficult to give a short reply to your questions and I'm sure the other readers of this thread are getting bored of this discussion about what goes into mouth - and why - so let's just accept that I'm a veggy for my own reasons (which concern nobody else other than my husband - whose salary pays for my food and who eats and enjoys my cooking, by the way), I'm not bothering you or anyone else, and I personally would vote for this thread to return to its original topic.
Good on ya. As long as you afford me the same rights to eat meat I will respect your decision not to.

It's amazing how many vegetarians get on their high horse and ram their own views down other folk's necks.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:00 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya. As long as you afford me the same rights to eat meat I will respect your decision not to.

It's amazing how many vegetarians get on their high horse and ram their own views down other folk's necks.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Northern Bird. I don't have a problem with other people eating meat and I'm certainly not one of these "holier-than-thou" sanctimonious veggies who trying to convert everyone else, so your Sunday roast is safe ;-)
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry - did I have to keep checking the forum every 5 minutes incase someone posted a reply?! I do have a life, thank you, so I check the forum at my own leisure.
That is what I was effectively asking you.
What I was insinuating was that, all my life, whenever people find out I'm a vegetarian, they inevitably ask the same questions you do, some in a genuinely-interested way, others in a nit-picking, pedantic way (other questioons might include whether or not I wear leather or drink beer, and I've even been called a hypocrite before - which I find utterly bemusing).
I was asking in a genuinely interested way, asking you "cruelty aspect meaning what exactly?" in Post 12. That was the only reason you gave for not eating meat at that point, but you also said you love the taste of meat.
To conclude your little interview of me,
Not an interview, genuine questions. You seemed to contradict yourself by saying you love meat, then saying it doesn't please your tastebuds.
or perhaps I haven't explained myself very well
That seems to be the case.
so let's just accept that I'm a veggy
I accepted that you're a vegetarian from the point of your first post, my questions had nothing to do with accepting it or not.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
That is what I was effectively asking you.I was asking in a genuinely interested way, asking you "cruelty aspect meaning what exactly?" in Post 12. That was the only reason you gave for not eating meat at that point, but you also said you love the taste of meat.Not an interview, genuine questions. You seemed to contradict yourself by saying you love meat, then saying it doesn't please your tastebuds. That seems to be the case.I accepted that you're a vegetarian from the point of your first post, my questions had nothing to do with accepting it or not.
Oh good grief, are we still talking about this? I've explained the difference between liking the taste of meat but not wanting it in my mouth (my tastebuds don't like the thought of eating dead flesh but the flavour is, however, lovely).

We could go back and forth over this ad infinitum, as you seem to be looking for ways in which I may have (inadvertently) contradicted myself.

I'm sure our paths will cross again in other threads, and I'd rather not have my opinion of you from this thread taint how I read your subsequent posts. I'm sure you're actually quite nice and don't realise how you're coming across. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and maybe we can have a civilized discussion about something else sometime.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it isn't the tastebuds that don't like the thought of dead flesh- it is your conscious brain, the bit that thinks about how the dead flesh was slaughtered etc. Your tastebuds DO like the flavour.

(Just trying to clear up the confusion that others seem to have.)
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nm1005
Hi there,
I have just moved to Brisbane and I'm struggling to find quorn and Fry's meat free products. This was the staple of my diet in the UK so I'm a bit worried! Coles in New Farm has a tiny selection.

Can anyone recommend anywhere else please?

Any help would me much appreciated!
Back to the original topic - as well as Quorn, Woolworths stock some of the Linda McCartney meat free range in their freezer section.

Coles and Woolworths stock the Vegie Delight range which has some interesting options. The whole range of products can be viewed here:

http://www.vegiedelights.com.au/

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Get your self a good veggie book.Find your self a decent market and have fun discovering new vegetables that you haven't tried before.
I would agree with this!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I rarely use any quorn products.Get your self a good veggie book.Find your self a decent market and have fun discovering new vegetables that you haven't tried before.You wont starve.Good luck.
Originally Posted by Famous 5
....... I would agree with this!
If you are not sure on who's cookbook, or just want to try without the expense, there's always the local library - good range of cookbooks in our local library

And online too - I have a couple of really nice recipes that I found online
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you are not sure on who's cookbook, or just want to try without the expense, there's always the local library - good range of cookbooks in our local library
I still use my ancient copies of Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Kitchen and New Vegetarian Kitchen, although I think she has some more recent publications. Also Rose Elliot's vegetarian cookbooks are always a good bet.

And online too - I have a couple of really nice recipes that I found online
The site I use most is

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/category/vegetarian

and also

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/coll...tarian+recipes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.