Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding meat free products in Brisbane?

Finding meat free products in Brisbane?

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finding meat free products in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Dreamy
True.. but Quorn and other 'fake' meat products are widely available here. Well, perhaps not in Taree, but in more civilised places

Good healthy farming stock here, not W&nky anaemic vegans ... went into town today and stocked up on cubed goat and water buffalo, some curries coming on
If I wanted to live somewhere civilised I'd never have left West Denton
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

NATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Cruelty aspect meaning what exactly?
Seriously?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does eating meat equate to cruelty?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

NATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
I've never seen or tried the product, but oh dear

Quorn is the leading brand of faux meat mycoprotein in the United Kingdom.[1] The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from the fungus Fusarium venenatum.[2] The product was developed by Rank Hovis McDougall and Imperial Chemical Industries, and launched commercially as the Quorn brand as a joint venture of the two companies under the operating name of Marlow Foods. The brand has been owned by Exponent Private Equity and Intermediate Capital Group since 2011.

Edit: hey I bet there are lots of people who actually think the stuff is made from Corn rather than lab fungus.
Mmm it's good stuff! Everything is made from something. Luckily for us veggies it tastes good (unlike a lot of processed foods with dodgy derivatives that taste awful).

I'm curious about the 'faux burger' they've produced in a lab - where can I buy one?! GMO food may well be the way of the future for our grandchildren, as there won't be enough meat to feed the world's growing population.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
Why does eating meat equate to cruelty?
Eating meat doesn't (the animal is already dead), but the way in which a lot of them are killed, does. For me it's also the squeamishness of putting something dead in my mouth. Please don't let's turn the OP's innocuous thread into veggy-bashing. Accept that not everyone eats meat, and get over it. 'We' don't try and question your tastes, preferences or morals. The OP asked where she could source a particular food for her particular diet. Let's concentrate on helping her, shall we?

N-V
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:54 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NATIONAL-VELVET
Eating meat doesn't (the animal is already dead), but the way in which a lot of them are killed, does. For me it's also the squeamishness of putting something dead in my mouth. Please don't let's turn the OP's innocuous thread into veggy-bashing. Accept that not everyone eats meat, and get over it. 'We' don't try and question your tastes, preferences or morals. The OP asked where she could source a particular food for her particular diet. Let's concentrate on helping her, shall we?

N-V
I dont know if those comments were directed at me but I just asked why eating meat equates to cruelty, I didnt mention veggies
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
I dont know if those comments were directed at me but I just asked why eating meat equates to cruelty, I didnt mention veggies
No, not particularly aimed at you, just noticed that we seemed to be going off-topic - i.e. discussing people's dietary preferences as opposed to trying to find 'fakon' (what I call 'fake bacon'), etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

nm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nice

No, not particularly aimed at you, just noticed that we seemed to be going off-topic - i.e. discussing people's dietary preferences as opposed to trying to find 'fakon' (what I call 'fake bacon'), etc.
thanks for all the helpful comments! Found some dry soya pieces in an Asian grocers today which were really nice...and some cheaper tofu in a chinese market! Quorn is great but so expensive here. Will be hard to eat it as much as back home so glad to have found some alternatives.

And for those of you asking, I like the taste of quorn and it's a healthy way to fill yourself up if you're veggie!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nm1005
thanks for all the helpful comments! Found some dry soya pieces in an Asian grocers today which were really nice...and some cheaper tofu in a chinese market! Quorn is great but so expensive here. Will be hard to eat it as much as back home so glad to have found some alternatives.

And for those of you asking, I like the taste of quorn and it's a healthy way to fill yourself up if you're veggie!
Glad you've managed to source some :-) I like the facon and fam over here (fake bacon / fake ham) - great to put in sandwiches (I get bored with egg / cheese / egg / cheese so it provides variety). Also nice chopped up in scrambled eggs.

Anyway, I think I'm the one going off topic now (I'll be swopping menu suggestions next!) so go enjoy your Quorn and hopefully if / when we get out there, there'll be some left for me! ;-)
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am a vegetarian because of the cruelty aspect.
Cruelty aspect meaning what exactly?
Seriously?
Yes, seriously.
Eating meat doesn't (the animal is already dead), but the way in which a lot of them are killed, does.
Then source meat from a place where the slaughter practices satisfy your requirements, whatever they may be.
For me it's also the squeamishness of putting something dead in my mouth.
What on earth do you eat then? Plants (fruit, veg etc) are living things too, and they're either still alive or dead when you put them in your mouth.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you've managed to source some :-) I like the facon and fam over here (fake bacon / fake ham) - great to put in sandwiches (I get bored with egg / cheese / egg / cheese so it provides variety). Also nice chopped up in scrambled eggs.
So you object to the slaughter of animals that you might eat, but not the slaughter of animals as a result of the dairy industry although you eat those products? Interesting.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

So you object to the slaughter of animals that you might eat, but not the slaughter of animals as a result of the dairy industry although you eat those products? Interesting.
Vegans are even worse, they'll happily use things such as computers, LVD screens, phones, batteries etc which are full of slaughtered animal byproducts.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:21 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Vegans are even worse, they'll happily use things such as computers, LVD screens, phones, batteries etc which are full of slaughtered animal byproducts.
Are they?

Do you have a source?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

On topic, if you like fake meat another interesting foodlike substance is Seitan (hail almighty Seitan ).

It's made from wheat protein and widely available in Asian Stores as mock duck, mock abalone, mock whatever. I don't mind it as it gives a really nice Asian kick to a stir fry - I use it with chicken and it's sometimes hard to determine which is the seitan chunk and which is the chicken chunk.

And yes it's gluten. The "gluten intolerance" thing is pathetic and a marketing exercise to demonise the very name "gluten". Gluten is the protein in wheat, many other grains, and thus in bread, pasta, couscous, chappatis, samosas, noodles etc. If it wasn't for gluten whole populations would kark it.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

The flavoured Soyco Tofu range at Woolworths is really nice.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/...Fsearch%3Dtofu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.