Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

Old May 14th 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all
Default Re: FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

1987 if i recall
Old May 14th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

michdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by And Van Isla
I know your in our boat because your an "Augustee" I love you attitude

Now that really is a worry... Im throwing a business, a house, all that we are for this dream and we have a 7 month old daughter..... Where are you in Australia? my guess Sydney, this is where we were gonna go. Also is money the main thing thats upsetting you? I dont want to sacrifice and end up "the blue skies are not really cheering me like I thought they would either!"
We're in Sydney - have been here three years & prices have rocketed in property & most things since we have been here, particularly in the last year. For anyone moving to Sydney (can't comment on other places in Oz!)who thinks that cost of living is cheaper than the UK & you'll be better off,that my not be the case!!! And remember salaries are lower too! Having said all that, wouldn't be any where else but would advise that rose coloured googles stay in the drawer...!!!!
Just my opinion....
Old May 14th 2008, 9:32 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by And Van Isla
HAS THERE EVER BEEN A WORSE TIME TO IMMIGRATE TO AUSTRALIA FINANCIALLY?

SINCE DECEMBER 2007 25% HAS BEEN LOST IN THE CURRENCY CONVERSION (FROM 2.5 TO 2). ADD TO THIS THE 5 TO 10% WE MAY LOSE ON HOUSE VALUES IN THE UK (ACCORDING TO BEST CASE SCENARIO GOVERNMENT PREDICTIONS LEAKED TODAY).
We moved over here in Sept 2002.
I have to say that I do not envy those making the move now. Only 6 years have passed, but so much has changed in economic terms that if we were going through the process now, it may be a very different decision.

Best of luck !
Old May 14th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kendalanita
Tell me about it - we arrived here only a few weeks ago and the cost of things are soooooooo expensive compared to the last few times we have visited. We are paying $1700 in rent per month, cars are very expensive, food is expensive (and half of it is grotty), clothes expensive - at the moment the blue skies are not really cheering me like I thought they would either! Have I had rose coloured specs on all these years - it's looking that way I'm afraid at the moment!
Couldnt agree more. mortgage gone up 400 d in 12 months food petrol booze .Just glad i didnt mortgage myself to yhe hilt. Although you wouldnt think there was a crisis still lots of 4x4s around.And how anyone family manages off just 1 wage i will naver know.Having said all this i do not have an alarm on my house and do not worry if my daughters are out late at night and i can go shopping without fear of being blown up
raven
Old May 14th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

We've been here since Nov 2006. We exchanged at 2.53 (The 18-month peak at the time), and managed to buy a house just as Sydney prices started to go mad (Albeit probably paid $100-$150k more than if we had bought when we first got here). We were pretty lucky it seems.

That said, I looked 3 months ago at what our house was worth then, and it was GBP (Why dont aussie keyboard have pound signs?) 75k more than when we sold. Admittedly, it's probably lost 25-30k of that, but that is still 40-50k up on when we sold. Even at 2 to the pound that is $80-100k. House prices here are now starting to drop again due to the uncertainty in the market, so, probably, IF we wanted to do the same now although we would be worse off, it is not as bad as you think. Feel sorry for the people who cant sell in the UK, we sold and rented in the UK for a year purely because we could see what was round the corner.

To answer the other points, food here is crap, overpriced, and generally not to UK standards. It rains a lot, and everyone says "Ah but we need it". I dont buy all this drought, flood, crop damage rubbish. If they managed their infrastructure right, there would be no issues. You've just got to let go of what was, and live with what is. Long gone are the days of a crate of Stella at GBP15 in Tesco, now it's Pure Blonde at $45 a go. Even at 2.5 to 1 it's expensive. Still, I dont live in fear of being bombed on the tube on the way to work, so life's good.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:41 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
(Why dont aussie keyboard have pound signs?)
Alt 156 = £
Old May 14th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

You cannot beat yourself up about the exchange rate that is why we do the jobs we do and we are not George Soros. I too agonised (one day I gained a car the next day it was gone) As my OH says and other posters say only change what money you need to. As someone else said 6 mths is a long time anything can happen.
At the moment we are paying £1800 pm rent - $1700 sounds like a relief !
What will be will be

Last edited by Reading fan; May 14th 2008 at 9:48 am.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann
OHG, Where in Teesside? from Ingleby Barwick.
Well you'll do fine from one massive featureless housing estate in UK to another one in Aus lol
Lived in Wolviston,was supposed to be posh but nah.
Have you ever been to Aus and seen where abouts you wish to live? Was lots of areas like Barwick big estates wi bugger all on them. Better weather yes, but better lifestyle is debatable
Old May 14th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Yes things have gone up in Oz in last however many years, but hey things are really on the rise here in the UK too - except house prices that have stabilised a little but thats after a horrendous increase in the last few years.

Have you seen the price of petrol in the UK lately

I quite like the exchange rate being 2:1 makes it easy to convert in my head.....can you tell im blonde
Old May 14th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Yep petrol is much cheaper here but when you factor in how far away from you lots of things are then it equals out. Public transport on the whole is not too good here either. I cant drive at the moment due to car accident and buses to main shops are one an hour.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:26 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michdp
And remember salaries are lower too!
Absolutely not necessarily true. Depends on trade and location.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:26 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
Although emigrating just on the numbers is not the best reason.

The old "I can afford a 50% bigger house so I will be 50% better off" mob are always the ones who don't like it.
50% more house work......

I prefer to say better laid out house, a bit more open plan makes things easier to clean in my opinion I wouldn't like a mansion (or mcmansion as a friend recently said), enough room for the kids to have space in their own rooms is greatly beneficial, a living area or family area off the kitchen is good too, a pool is nice but not a necesity. I don't want to spend much more time cleaning the hosue than I have to now tbh.

However I would re-consider if I won the lottery he he he he

We had worked out a nice budget for a nice house in Melbourne - now were going to Sydney we're finding things are gonna be a little bit tight financially for a while, not too keen on heading out in the Australian winter season either but hey ho, if we don't try and make the best of it it'll backfire then we will lose alot more money by having to come home, hopefully after the sticky tight bit we'll see the wood for the trees again.
I think having a little wobble is healthy as long as you can pull yourself up and carry on after.

Best wishes, keep smiling
Old May 14th 2008, 11:29 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Yep petrol is much cheaper here but when you factor in how far away from you lots of things are then it equals out. Public transport on the whole is not too good here either. I cant drive at the moment due to car accident and buses to main shops are one an hour.
I'm not at all putting down what your saying as you're obviously not used to that when you lived in the Uk, but where I live now there's only 1 bus an hour and we only live 9 miles from a city, it probably takes about 40 minutes to get in though.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

I agree with the sentiment that this is the worst time to emigrate. We planned to go to Oz this year but are now thinking of staying around for a while, buying a new house here and biding our time a bit. Everyone has to do what is right for them, and whilst it isn't all about money, there's no point having less than you do over here (in my opinion). Australia isn't going anywhere - we figure we'll watch their housing market crash and then buy when the market has stabilised. Financially speaking, there have definitely been better times to emigrate to Australia!

Helen
Old May 14th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helen roberts
I agree with the sentiment that this is the worst time to emigrate. We planned to go to Oz this year but are now thinking of staying around for a while, buying a new house here and biding our time a bit. Everyone has to do what is right for them, and whilst it isn't all about money, there's no point having less than you do over here (in my opinion). Australia isn't going anywhere - we figure we'll watch their housing market crash and then buy when the market has stabilised. Financially speaking, there have definitely been better times to emigrate to Australia!

Helen
Very sensible idea
Glad your rose tinted glasses are off. We're not going yet as time is on our side Aus isn't going anywhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.