Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

Old May 13th 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road
Default FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

HAS THERE EVER BEEN A WORSE TIME TO IMMIGRATE TO AUSTRALIA FINANCIALLY?

SINCE DECEMBER 2007 25% HAS BEEN LOST IN THE CURRENCY CONVERSION (FROM 2.5 TO 2). ADD TO THIS THE 5 TO 10% WE MAY LOSE ON HOUSE VALUES IN THE UK (ACCORDING TO BEST CASE SCENARIO GOVERNMENT PREDICTIONS LEAKED TODAY).

THEREFORE THE AVERAGE UK HOME OWNER SELLING UP AND MOVING TO AUS TODAY WILL BE TAKING OUT AS MUCH AS 30% LESS THEN IF THEY LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS AGO.

ALSO, FOR THOSE LEAVING FOR OZ IN DEC 08, IF THE POUND LOSES ITS VALUE AGAINST THE AUSSIE AT THE SAME RATE AS THE LAST 5 MONTHS (AND THERE IS NO REASON WHY NOT) IT COULD EASILY BE A 60% LOSS IN MONEY THEN 12 MONTHS EARLIER.

MY WIFE AND I HAVE OUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET AND WANT TO SELL SO WE CAN LEAVE IN DECEMBER AS WE HAVE JUST BEEN GRANTED OUR VISAS. I AM ABSOLUTELY SICKENED TO SEE THE CURRENT ECONOMIC SITUATION FOR THE LIKES OF US AND IT WILL HURT US AND OUR PLANS BIG TIME.
Old May 13th 2008, 5:29 pm
ann
Forum Regular

ann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really nice
Default Re: FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

Originally Posted by And Van Isla

SINCE DECEMBER 2007 25% HAS BEEN LOST IN THE CURRENCY CONVERSION (FROM 2.5 TO 2). ADD TO THIS THE 5 TO 10% WE MAY LOSE ON HOUSE VALUES IN THE UK (ACCORDING TO BEST CASE SCENARIO GOVERNMENT PREDICTIONS LEAKED TODAY).

THEREFORE THE AVERAGE UK HOME OWNER SELLING UP AND MOVING TO AUS TODAY WILL BE TAKING OUT AS MUCH AS 30% LESS THEN IF THEY LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS AGO.

ALSO, FOR THOSE LEAVING FOR OZ IN DEC 08, IF THE POUND LOSES ITS VALUE AGAINST THE AUSSIE AT THE SAME RATE AS THE LAST 5 MONTHS (AND THERE IS NO REASON WHY NOT) IT COULD EASILY BE A 60% LOSS IN MONEY THEN 12 MONTHS EARLIER.

MY WIFE AND I HAVE OUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET AND WANT TO SELL SO WE CAN LEAVE IN DECEMBER AS WE HAVE JUST BEEN GRANTED OUR VISAS. I AM ABSOLUTELY SICKENED TO SEE THE CURRENT ECONOMIC SITUATION FOR THE LIKES OF US AND IT WILL HURT US AND OUR PLANS BIG TIME.

YES I AGREE

BUT.......We are all in the same situation, just think of the main reasons you want to go in the first place. would you like to be skint in the UK where it rains 24/7, 365 or be skint in the sun & cooling off in the sea. keep you chin up x
Old May 13th 2008, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep but I see where the OP is coming from. We first started looking at emigrating in 05. The difference in prices to now is very different. It doesn't put me off tho'. Property prices are falling 30% according to recent surveys but the property market has never been any different. I have made a killing in months, a very small profit in years and am now back to possibly losing a huge amount albeit we're not in negative equity. It's hard to judge the right time, you have to do what feels right IMO.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:30 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

I agree with the sentiment, but being really really (!!) pedantic the maths doesn't work like this! 25% on currency and 5% on house loss doesn't add up to give 30%!
Old May 13th 2008, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sniffydog
I agree with the sentiment, but being really really (!!) pedantic the maths doesn't work like this! 25% on currency and 5% on house loss doesn't add up to give 30%!
Old May 13th 2008, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sniffydog

But I quite like pedantic
Old May 13th 2008, 7:55 pm
Mrs Angry!

debbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann
YES I AGREE

BUT.......We are all in the same situation, just think of the main reasons you want to go in the first place. would you like to be skint in the UK where it rains 24/7, 365 or be skint in the sun & cooling off in the sea. keep you chin up x

I also agree with Ann....BE is a great place to share you concerns...chin p. You never know whats around the corner
Old May 13th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Tell me about it - we arrived here only a few weeks ago and the cost of things are soooooooo expensive compared to the last few times we have visited. We are paying $1700 in rent per month, cars are very expensive, food is expensive (and half of it is grotty), clothes expensive - at the moment the blue skies are not really cheering me like I thought they would either! Have I had rose coloured specs on all these years - it's looking that way I'm afraid at the moment!
Old May 13th 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
Yep but I see where the OP is coming from. We first started looking at emigrating in 05. The difference in prices to now is very different. It doesn't put me off tho'. Property prices are falling 30% according to recent surveys but the property market has never been any different. I have made a killing in months, a very small profit in years and am now back to possibly losing a huge amount albeit we're not in negative equity. It's hard to judge the right time, you have to do what feels right IMO.
I know your in our boat because your an "Augustee" I love you attitude

Originally Posted by kendalanita
Tell me about it - we arrived here only a few weeks ago and the cost of things are soooooooo expensive compared to the last few times we have visited. We are paying $1700 in rent per month, cars are very expensive, food is expensive (and half of it is grotty), clothes expensive - at the moment the blue skies are not really cheering me like I thought they would either! Have I had rose coloured specs on all these years - it's looking that way I'm afraid at the moment!
Now that really is a worry... Im throwing a business, a house, all that we are for this dream and we have a 7 month old daughter..... Where are you in Australia? my guess Sydney, this is where we were gonna go. Also is money the main thing thats upsetting you? I dont want to sacrifice and end up "the blue skies are not really cheering me like I thought they would either!"
Old May 13th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

Will there ever be a right time to migrate
Old May 13th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

I know your in our boat because your an "Augustee" I love you attitude

Now that really is a worry... Im throwing a business, a house, all that we are for this dream and we have a 7 month old daughter..... Where are you in Australia? my guess Sydney, this is where we were gonna go. Also is money the main thing thats upsetting you? I dont want to sacrifice and end up "the blue skies are not really cheering me like I thought they would either!"
Unfortunately we got Canberra!!!!! Only place we could get a job for my OH - and now we're here its no where near being sorted so he is just doing rubbish every day - he is gutted as he left a really good job at home to come here and we just cant see anything positive at the moment. We certainly dont want to stay in Canberra but after applying for about 50 jobs before we came its not like we can just say lets move somewhere else cos he just wouldnt get a job - 15 years I have wanted this - just praying things get better!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann
YES I AGREE

Come off it Ann doesn't rain 24/7. Personally best thing I ever did leaving Teesside but only needed to move 30 miles down A19 to find a better life.
Hope Aus is all you expect it be to as you've built quite high expectations

To OP, don't have a house to sell, not sure why everyone on here moans on about not being able to sell homes that are vastly over priced so won't be able to take tens of thousands of pounds to Aus with them. We're saving up the hard way and will manage with what we have as we've got no other choice. Exchange rate well still 2 to 1 so not an issue will have enough to cover us for 6 months.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kendalanita
With regards to food - it has gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years especially fruit and vegetables. Because Australia produces the majority of its fruit and veg and doesn't import it can be effected by environmental factors. There has been a severe drought for 11 years here and this has had a detrimental effect on some food prices. Sometimes drought can be followed by flooding rain as it has in some parts recently which also affects crops which in turn effects quality and price. Food quality is not grotty at all. Maybe where you live in Canberra there may be not much choice and your local supermarket might not be that good but there wouldn't be too many places that would get away with selling rubbish food in Melbourne. It's all about competition - if there is no nearby competition than they might think they can get away with it. I find that local greengrocers, butchers, fishmongers are better quality and cheaper than supermarkets by a long way. The best places to go are markets such as Queen Vic. market in Melbourne where you will get fantastic food at bargain prices. Australia has some of the best produce in the world but you probably won't find it in your local Coles supermarket.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:08 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

best weather in May in UK since 1772! now that really is raining 24/7 365.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:33 am

Bonzer Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
But I quite like pedantic
No!!! Finance is too depressing at the moment let's stick with pedantic. Aren't we emigrating from...no, let me see...we're immigrating to...perhaps both!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.