Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling The Cold

Feeling The Cold

Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:56 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm like you JK, I finish work at 5am & its freezing. First thing I do is fill the hot water bottle when I get home.
This will be our 6th Winter here I think & gotta agree with your mum its certainly the coldest weve felt.
But the good thing is less than two months to go until spring.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:05 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: Feeling The Cold

Originally posted by Jaykay
I have resorted to bringing out the Lambswool Coat. I've been wearing my puffa jacket for a while now, but yesterday it just got too cold for me and the Lambswool coat came out.

I really thought that I wouldn't feel the cold that much after 10 years in the UK, but I think I'm feeling it worse than ever.

To make things worse, the house that we are renting only has heating in the lounge and the family room, so everything inbetween these two rooms is covered in icicles!! I've even resorted to a hot water bottle for the bed!

We walked down to the ten pin bowling place last night to have a game or two and I had to put my gloves on too.

Saying that, I was very warm by the time I got there as it's a good 15 minute walk away.

Is anyone else feeling the cold as bad as me?
Here in Tahmoor, 80 k south of Sydney and inland it is almost freezing in the morning and after 4.30 at night. The hose pipe was actually frozen solid on Sunday when I went out to water the garden (we are on water restrictions and can only water early in the morning and after 4pm on Sunday Wednesday and Friday - by hand.
The houses do not seem to be insulated and therefore they stay cold - I wear a coat in the house and take it off when I go out into the garden during the day as it is usually warm enough to eat lunch outside.
Lilke you it is hot water bottle time (never had one in uk ever) also two duvets on the bed instead of the uk 4 tog one I used all the year around (and I did not have the heating on in the bedroom)
I am promised it is only for about 2 and a half months of the year and by next winter we shall have ducted air con put in which can be turn into heaters.
It is strange to have 1 degree frost in the morning and 21 degrees at 11 am which is what we have at the present time.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:25 am
Linda Max

Think yourself's lucky, it is really cold wet and miserable here, you get up to fog, it lifts some times around 3.00 and comes back at 4.00, never been so cold and I'm Scottish, oh and before anyone starts, yes it might just be the Waikato and not the whole of NZ

Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the advice megs

Might be of some use if all of the heat didn't exit via the walls, windows, floors skylight etc etc

Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs

Might be of some use if all of the heat didn't exit via the walls, windows, floors skylight etc etc

Thats the worst bit. The walls are so thin its not worth having a heater as everything just flows through them! Its often warmer outside than in here!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pollyana
Thats the worst bit. The walls are so thin its not worth having a heater as everything just flows through them! Its often warmer outside than in here!
Poll
You will have to get the bloke to give you a big hug to warm you up

I am sweating at the mo. It is really hot here now with temperatures up to 40c it feels like an inferno outside. Luckily though the humidty is only about 50% today.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:03 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Ah, you used to live in an old thermos?

You could put another lorg on the fire or you could:

1. Cook up some bacon and some beans.
2. Go out to the car and change the tyre.
3. Wash all the socks and sew those old blue jeans.
4. Fill hubby's pipe, and fetch his slippers.
5. Boil up another pot of tea.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I went for a paddle out for the first time in ages. Bloody excellent as a pod of 10 to 15 dolphins decided to hang out in the line up. They were only a couple of metres from me. Hands were a touch numb getting back but nothing a cup of coffee couldn't fix. Feel sorry for those westies. Drops below freezing out there in places.

Exercise is good for the circulation and helps your tolerance to cold and resistance to illness.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Ah, you used to live in an old thermos?

You could put another lorg on the fire or you could:

1. Cook up some bacon and some beans.
2. Go out to the car and change the tyre.
3. Wash all the socks and sew those old blue jeans.
4. Fill hubby's pipe, and fetch his slippers.
5. Boil up another pot of tea.
You could just BOG OFF!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:18 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You could just BOG OFF!!!!
But you were just getting fired up.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by Megalania
But you were just getting fired up.
hot, or bothered??
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by bondipom

Exercise is good for the circulation and helps your tolerance to cold and resistance to illness.
Hi BP

Unfortunately whenever I feel the urge to go out for a run it's usually pouring with rain and knowing my luck, if I went out anyway I'd end up with a stinking cold and be stuck in bed for a few days.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BP

Unfortunately whenever I feel the urge to go out for a run it's usually pouring with rain and knowing my luck, if I went out anyway I'd end up with a stinking cold and be stuck in bed for a few days.
Move to Sydney. Can't remember the last day it rained. Bush fire season has already started with some backburning going out of control.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:28 am
Banned

Hi BP

Shivering is good.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:32 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Move to Sydney. Can't remember the last day it rained. Bush fire season has already started with some backburning going out of control.
sent u a pm mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.