Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling The Cold

Feeling The Cold

Old Jul 7th 2004, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Feeling The Cold

I have resorted to bringing out the Lambswool Coat. I've been wearing my puffa jacket for a while now, but yesterday it just got too cold for me and the Lambswool coat came out.

I really thought that I wouldn't feel the cold that much after 10 years in the UK, but I think I'm feeling it worse than ever.

To make things worse, the house that we are renting only has heating in the lounge and the family room, so everything inbetween these two rooms is covered in icicles!! I've even resorted to a hot water bottle for the bed!

We walked down to the ten pin bowling place last night to have a game or two and I had to put my gloves on too.

Saying that, I was very warm by the time I got there as it's a good 15 minute walk away.

Is anyone else feeling the cold as bad as me?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 4:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Feeling The Cold

Originally posted by Jaykay
Not me
Back in T Shirts again up here

Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I have resorted to bringing out the Lambswool Coat. I've been wearing my puffa jacket for a while now, but yesterday it just got too cold for me and the Lambswool coat came out.

I really thought that I wouldn't feel the cold that much after 10 years in the UK, but I think I'm feeling it worse than ever.

To make things worse, the house that we are renting only has heating in the lounge and the family room, so everything inbetween these two rooms is covered in icicles!! I've even resorted to a hot water bottle for the bed!

We walked down to the ten pin bowling place last night to have a game or two and I had to put my gloves on too.

Saying that, I was very warm by the time I got there as it's a good 15 minute walk away.

yes it's cold in the nights, wee early hours of the morning in Brisbane ( I think most people here are living on a different planet or something.. or don't get up until the sun has risen.. they should try getting out of bed at 4 in the morning ) or try going out in the night - and beg anyone to differ - you go out fishing at night, or anywhere away from your cozy houses .. you need heaps of jumpers, coats ,hat the lot , or you'll freeze

Go into Kmart and buy a thermal blanket - they look thin... holey knitted things.. but if you put that between your sheet and quilt/doonas - you'll be surprised... I've had mine for years

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 7th 2004 at 5:08 am.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:05 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

COLD COLD COLD !!!!!!
how cold can it get. i better get my t shirt off now, ive burst into a sweat after all that shouting
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ceri
they should try getting out of bed at 4 in the morning )
No Way !!

8am will do me fine

I always used to complain about my wife pinching the bed covers, but now I complain when she throws them off herself and I end up with double covers, and too hot !!

Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

So far we have worked out that it is cold in Melbourne, and cold in Brisbane at 4am.

Sounds about right.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:10 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
So far we have worked out that it is cold in Melbourne, and cold in Brisbane at 4am.

Sounds about right.
thats great im not in either of the 2
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:10 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

This topic keeps coming up. Can you not put in ducted gas heating or heat pumps? Can you not install an electric blanket?

Regardless these are best for overnight in bedrooms when you do not need to heat the whole house:

Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by soapy
COLD COLD COLD !!!!!!
how cold can it get. i better get my t shirt off now, ive burst into a sweat after all that shouting
soapy look at the temps between Brisbane and Sydney.. there is not much diff... I used to live down in Newcastle ( which you probaly know is not that far from Sydney) .. the winters to me feel the same - only diff here in Brisbane is the humidity in the summer.

we are basically getting the same sort of temps at the moment.. and yes it's cold.. in the day it's ok, night no
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:15 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy look at the temps between Brisbane and Sydney.. there is not much diff... I used to live down in Newcastle ( which you probaly know is not that far from Sydney) .. the winters to me feel the same - only diff here in Brisbane is the humidity in the summer.

we are basically getting the same sort of temps at the moment.. and yes it's cold.. in the day it's ok, night no
i just dont feel it, but if it gets too bad. try one of these

Last edited by soapy©; Jul 7th 2004 at 5:18 am.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:16 am
Master of verbal pish©

i just dont feel it, but if it gets too bad. try one of theese
forgot to add this
Attached Thumbnails Feeling The Cold-1200bv08.jpg  
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Megalania
This topic keeps coming up. Can you not put in ducted gas heating or heat pumps? Can you not install an electric blanket?

Regardless these are best for overnight in bedrooms when you do not need to heat the whole house:

Megs

I have one of these in the bedroom which I turn on about an hour before I go to bed.

As the house we live in is a rental, I'm not in a position to offer to put in ducted heating for them - and I'm not paying $200 for an electric blanket (we have a king size bed)!!

I lived in Melbourne for 20 years and I can't remember it being this cold in the winter. Even my Mum has said that this is a cold winter and she's had her heating on more this winter than ever before (and she's lived here for 32 years).

Please don't get me wrong, I love being in Melbourne, and as a skiier, I also love the snow, but am just feeling the cold alot more this winter for some reason.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

forgot to add this
don't need a pic of one, I get the real thing .. you forget I'm living next to bush..and we have had a few break out s here over the summer .. one which was only metres away from my house, further neighbour got evacuated ... .. firemen were there until one or two in the morning trying to put it out.. I am a very fire conscious... this summer should have a few too.. the bush is like an overgrowth at the moment .. ie under the trees it's very lush and cool.. piles of leaf litter and branches, and overgrown grass.. plants . come summer - it's going to happen again . fuel for fire - I'm backing right onto a reserve - ie the end of my garden goes into a reserve... I have no boundry to the eye ... that's why I bought the place.. for the peace and wildlife

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 7th 2004 at 5:59 am.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:25 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

As the house we live in is a rental, I'm not in a position to offer to put in ducted heating for them - and I'm not paying $200 for an electric blanket (we have a king size bed)!!
$200 - Gulp! Must be a while since I bought one! Still shocks me I can't get into the flicks for two bob these days.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:27 am
Master of verbal pish©

don't need a pic of one, I get the real thing .. you forget I'm living next to bush..and we have had a few break out s here over the summer .. one which was only metres away from my house, further neighbour got evacuated ... .. fireman were there until one or two in the morning trying to put it out.. I am a very fire conscious
oops, i thought it was funny, but if u think everything u own might go up in flames any min........sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.