Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice
Default Re: Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Well, I've read through this thread and there seems to be an abundance of examples of youth yob culture on both sides. I cannot comment on the Oz side, as we have not been here long enough to make a judgement either way.

For what its worth, one of the biggest considerations in moving out here was giving my daughter the best possible quality of life. We moved from Cardiff and previous to living in Cardiff had lived in the South Wales valleys. Over the last few years I have become more and more disillusioned with the UK, as suburbs that I grew up in have become no go areas. I have first hand experience of those who believe that is easier to live off the state than to work for a living. My wife worked for the council housing department, and could tell you stories of people who would make you ashamed to be British.

Previous to moving out here, we were both involved with the ATC, one of the largest youth organisations in the UK. For the last twelve years before we left, I was an instructor, and the change in the young people coming through the doors in that time has been astonishing. Fifteen years ago when activities such as flying, gliding, shooting, camps, adventure training, sports were advertised, all free activities, the cadets would kill to get their name on the list. In the last few years we would struggle to fill our allocation for reasons such as the pick up was too early, or they were going out with friends.

Don't get me wrong, over the years I have known young people who have achieved a hell of a lot, and it is always rewarding to see some of the less gifted youngsters achieve above everyones expectations. But the general trend seems to be that the youngsters now want everything to be spoon fed to them, and do not have the initiative or motivation to set their sights on something and work for it.

And that I guess comes down to the affliction in British society, where IMHO hard work is no longer rewarded, but penalised.

I guess I'm rambling a bit, but the clincher for us was when one of my work colleagues asked me where I would prefer my daughter to be brought up. Barry Island or Bondi Beach?