Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Originally Posted by elfman
Your are being sooooo naive with regard to the total crime stat. Australia's non appearance in the top 60 is more a function of data collation (or lack of) than a reflection of the actual crime rate.
Spot on. It's good to see somebody's awake.

BTW the rape figures indicate that a woman is nearly SIX times more likely to be raped in Oz than UK.

Vash, you're a great example of the quality of the Oz education system - when they hit 10, I couldn't get my kids out of there fast enough.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

BTW the rape figures indicate that a woman is nearly SIX times more likely to be raped in Oz than UK.

Vash, you're a great example of the quality of the Oz education system - when they hit 10, I couldn't get my kids out of there fast enough.
Yay! Welcome back Mike!

Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:30 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

Hi Mike, hows it going with you?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:44 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Claimed australia was not even in the top 60 crime wise, when it was actually 13th usual stuff you can come up if you play around with figures.

Figures can be made up to prove anything. 73.95% of people know that.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:54 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I have just sat and read through this thread, mainly becasue my youngest got me up way too early for a saturday and it's too early to go rashing round doing housework.

I am surprised by the comments coming from the UK and must agree with other posters that i can't imagne that this is the mjority of kids who are like that, but maybe i have my head in the sand.

There are still issues here with kids being out of control or however else you want to label it, much the same as everywhere else. But.... one thing i have found to be different from what my kids experienced i the uk is that primary schools teach values from the word go, in england my kids were never taught anything except academic stuff and god related stuff. Here from year 1 they were taught values and respect, not with a god fearing angle to it, just a "learn respect because thats whats right" sort of thing. i do think that helps with the respect and courtesey side of things. The other thing i find good is that kids are encouraged to be confident, infact most 9 year olds have more confidence than i have now and its not cocky confidence, it is genuine i am happy with myself confidence which seems to be an effective way of enabling children to deal with peer pressure, which has a knock on effect of more children choosing right over wrong. Highschool seems to be a different story, the one story that sticks in my mind is the one of parents being beaten up by children outside Padbury High School a couple of years back. The problems are here but may just be to a lesser scale.

Crime is certainly an issue, unlike the eastern states hte news in Perth seems to report every crime committed, for crime figures for each suburb have a look here http://movetoperth.com/info/suburbs/suburb_browser.html but i have found that a large amount of violent crime seems to be domestic.

I hope you all manage to escape the lives you have described, but please don;t ecpect too much of Australia, it has its social, economic and racial problems like everywhere else.

Lynn
Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robos
Out of curiuosity what is the system in Oz for discipline in schools, and socialy how is the parental role viewed by the authorities?
Thanks, Gary.
First offense we talk to them gently. For the second offense we just shoot them in the school grounds.

We generally get about 3 first offenses per school per year and 1 second offence per school per year.

After that we publicly behead the father and sell the mother into an East European brothel.

Although from what I've heard on the Internet we aren't half as bad as the Americans
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:53 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Mate,
Spot on !!!!
This place is getting worse and worse and i speak from experience. 2 years ago me and the better half were walking home following a bloody nice evening out, walked past this bloody idiot strangling this girl of about 16 with 4 of his mates watching !!!! (good blokes eh!), to cut along story short, they stamped on my head 47 times, fractured my skull 3 times, shattered my cheekbone, eye socket, lower jaw, 7 ribs and smashed 9 teeth, on the better half, they fractured 3 vertabrae, and numerous 'lady bit's' damage....all because i tried to stop them killing her......and i'm 6'2" and 16 stone, bald head and worked the door's of pub's for 12 years !!!!...no respect !!!!....it went to court this year !!!! they got let off on the first day !!...complete balls up by cps & police !......don't it just give you confidence !!!....i even get abused in my job too with twat's throwing rocks at us as we deal with house fire's etc !!......
And my mate's have the cheek to ask me why the hell do i want to leave ?... NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!

Ali.
OMG that is absolutely disgusting.... it defies belief that they can get away with things like this. We are just SO soft with these scumbags and its frustrating for the police, not being able to lock them up and throw away the keys!! Best thing I ever did was get away from the UK. My 15 year old son was mixing with some right yobs and I could see him slowly turning from my nice kid to a cheeky thug. Now he is wearing shorts to school (hee hee) and out and about playing cricket, cycling, camping and swimming, not wanting to decorate the neighbourhood with spray paint. Even if that was the only reason I left, it was well worth it. Gary I hope you and your family get your visa's soon and live a new and happy life ...
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:34 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

I have just read through this thread and what a load of hogwash i was in the uk for 6 months and spent some time in one of the most violent cities in england for gun crimes and found nothing like what is mentioned here .What i have found is when people get it into their heads they want to leave somewhere they pick on just about every kind of social and political disfunction they see in the country they live in and this also appplies to those that are leaving australia the fact is there is crap everywhere .My old man is a prime example ,we told him we are returning he said what for theres nothing here in the uk ,the real reason he cant stand it is because he cant live that well on his rather large investments becaause its tony blairs low interest rate policy he cant wait for the country to be in the grip of doom and gloom of high interest rates so hes got some money to spend ,he wasnt saying that 30 years ago when he was trying to pay the mortgage .My personal experience after living in both countries is perth as a city is more violent than where i used to live which was poole [dorset]and beens i can only comment on the two places i have live in in the last 20 years that is how i base my reason for returning back to the uk because poole indeed is not as violent as perth and thats all im interested in .
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Craigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really nice

I agree that kids are generally becoming more unruly but there are still a lot of kids out there that are very polite and respectful of others and their property. The problem is that you don't see these very often because they don't go out so much because of the threatening behaviour of others.

The excuse that they are bored is just that - an excuse. Most places there is loads to do but with so much choice I suppose it must be difficult to chose!!!

Locally armed officers have turned up at houses of kids messing with bb guns to tell them and the parents about the police attitude to guns and that if they point one of those at people they can't necessarily tell whether it is a real gun or a bb gun... This has scared the sh!t out of some of them :scared:
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:59 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Craigy
I agree that kids are generally becoming more unruly but there are still a lot of kids out there that are very polite and respectful of others and their property. The problem is that you don't see these very often because they don't go out so much because of the threatening behaviour of others.

The excuse that they are bored is just that - an excuse. Most places there is loads to do but with so much choice I suppose it must be difficult to chose!!!

Locally armed officers have turned up at houses of kids messing with bb guns to tell them and the parents about the police attitude to guns and that if they point one of those at people they can't necessarily tell whether it is a real gun or a bb gun... This has scared the sh!t out of some of them :scared:
love x'church and i really enjoyed working in mudeford last year
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Are you comparing Poole to a city like Perth ?....what is the population of each of these ?...........are they similar?

Originally Posted by sassenach
I have just read through this thread and what a load of hogwash i was in the uk for 6 months and spent some time in one of the most violent cities in england for gun crimes and found nothing like what is mentioned here .What i have found is when people get it into their heads they want to leave somewhere they pick on just about every kind of social and political disfunction they see in the country they live in and this also appplies to those that are leaving australia the fact is there is crap everywhere .My old man is a prime example ,we told him we are returning he said what for theres nothing here in the uk ,the real reason he cant stand it is because he cant live that well on his rather large investments becaause its tony blairs low interest rate policy he cant wait for the country to be in the grip of doom and gloom of high interest rates so hes got some money to spend ,he wasnt saying that 30 years ago when he was trying to pay the mortgage .My personal experience after living in both countries is perth as a city is more violent than where i used to live which was poole [dorset]and beens i can only comment on the two places i have live in in the last 20 years that is how i base my reason for returning back to the uk because poole indeed is not as violent as perth and thats all im interested in .
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Are you comparing Poole to a city like Perth ?....what is the population of each of these ?...........are they similar?
no where near the same perth has at least a milliion and poole/bournemouth 250000 so as i stated i have seen more violence here in perth because it is so much bigger .This is what i mean about comparisons there is someone who has had problems in wales on this thread but i get the impression that they think once they get to australia all these problems dissapear they dont ,you have to remember every single city in australia ie perth,brizzy,sydney,melbourne are far bigger in size an dpopulation than any in the uk apart from london and along with that is the social problems ,What people fail to realise this country is one of the most urbanised nations in the western world as no one lives in the bush hardly
Old Apr 1st 2006, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Roofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone just thought i would share this with you. As some of you know we are well underway with the migration process after many years of putting it off. During the application process we have had much soul searching and scary decisions to face and overcome, as do all potential migrants in our position. Ultimately we want to give our 3 children a better chance in life and see Oz as a better prospect than where we are at present. Where we do live is considered a lovely quiet village, which it is! and i considered everything to be fine as none of the family ever mentioned anything (Until last night)!!!!!:scared:
Turns out that for the past 12 months the kids and wife (Jan) have all been increasingly unhappy with where we live and the surrounding area. The kids in particular are regularly threatened by local gangs of louts who live nearby, in fact its got that bad they say that unless we take them and pick them up then they will not go out. My eldest son, (16) and the most pleasent kid around, is even being threatened by a gang of 12 year olds (can you believe that)!!!!! I laugh but these kids are nutters who really believe they are hard. My lad can handle himself but feels intimidated by the fact that these idiots would ultimately turn to there extended family if he retaliated. (No win situation) It really is unbearable as far as the kids are concerned.
They used to have a busy social life, including Ice skating every week, but its got that bad now that there are regular fights there and a constant police presence, (nice way to spend a Friday evening)!!!
Anyway my point is that i felt shocked at finding this out as we live in such a nice place (apparently). But it did make me feel that what we are doing is definately the right thing to do. What i am trying to say is that this country now seems to be breeding people who cant or wont communicate with others, and will lash out in the blink of an eye, and seem to thrive on confrontation. Some might say that we should fight back, but me I think we are better than that. Its confirmed it for us now, come on D.I.M.I.A Get us out of here!!!!!!!!

Does anybody else feel the same or had a similar eye opener lately? Sorry to ramble but had to share my feelings with you all.
Gary.
Just read your quote and it really made me realise that there are other people in similar situations to us. We are a family deciding on when to apply to live in oz. I (the wife!) cant decide when to do it, then i read your feelings on life in the Uk and it just about summed up how we feel "its sh*t"" in a nutshell. We live in a market town with 3 children under 8 and want a better life for our kids. Just going shopping into town is such an eye opener, most of the kids are on smack and wear hoodies and go round in groups you just dont feel safe and you only want a loaf of bread! After reading your feelings i now know that this country is quickly turning into a hell hole and we need to get out. Ive got 2 girls and i certainly dont want them coming home with anything like the sort of lads weve got running round town. Its true im 36 this year and all the girls i went to school with and had babies at 15 or 16 (they managed to wait that long) have now produced a breed of chavs that will again produce another breed of little chavs and the chain carries on. The bloody union jack will change to a burberry check in the future!! come on the oz.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:33 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Roofman, been a while since i wrote that thread but i feel exactly the same now as i did back then, if not more so!
My three kids are still as unhappy, but to combat this Jan & myself have been taxi-ing thier friends too and from our house in order to keep them relatively happy.My eldest son who was bieng targeted by the kids on the bus unfortunately retaliated after severe provocation and guess what, because he comes from a decent background "he should have known better" and should have ignored the constant threats and taunting! yeah right!!!!
Believe me the sooner our visa comes through (fingers crossed) the better.
Gary.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:19 am
Banned

Hi Roofman, been a while since i wrote that thread but i feel exactly the same now as i did back then, if not more so!
My three kids are still as unhappy, but to combat this Jan & myself have been taxi-ing thier friends too and from our house in order to keep them relatively happy.My eldest son who was bieng targeted by the kids on the bus unfortunately retaliated after severe provocation and guess what, because he comes from a decent background "he should have known better" and should have ignored the constant threats and taunting! yeah right!!!!
Believe me the sooner our visa comes through (fingers crossed) the better.
Gary.
Hi ,i feel sorry for your situation but bullying etc is here in australia too ,but i was in wales last year although in the south of wales and the valleys do have a problem with youths hanging around and causing trouble and its a major social problem and most if not all is due to government neglegt in westminster,with no work for the young it easy to breed discontent much the same happens in the smaller towns in outback australia and the youths leave to go to the cities .I blame margerat thatcher for what happened to wales and is a tragedy for which the youth are now paying wether your move to australia is the answer im not sure but i think a move out of wales certainly .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.