Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Originally Posted by Mummy
Well, what can I say? I came to have a read of this forum because I am in the situation where I left the UK 18 months ago to come and live in Sydney, and I am now considering returning to the UK, and I wanted to try to remind myself of the reasons that I left the UK in the first place, to help balance my decision of whether to return or not.

My first reaction was suprise at the people posting about the lack of tolerance in society and the lack of respect between people, then going on to show their own lack of tolerance and respect by having a go at the people like me who are considering returning to the UK. Just because they want to go back???

I have found my time in Australia so far to be pleasant, and have not encountered any crime personally. However, I did read about an armed robbery in a petrol station near to where I live, and an attack in a post office nearby too recently. I also listened to a conversation between people at work who were discussing whether a colleague should move to North Sydney or Neutral Bay, and the discussions were about people's experiences of burgularies in the two areas.

I have lived in a few places in the UK - Plymouth, Bradford, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Cambridge, Stafford and Derby, and again have had no personal experiences of crime in any of those areas.

An aspect of Australian life that has not been mentioned here, that may be relevant to the topic is that of religion. My experience in Australia has shown me that the average Australian is way more religious than the average Brit, and the number of religious schools in relation to the number of schools in general is really high. Perhaps children may turn out nicer here because of the religious upbringing, and the fear not of authority but that of god? I am not religious myself before anyone comments on this, and would not send my son to a religious school, it is merely an observation that I have. Virtually every Australian that I have met goes to church, and most that I know have sent their children to a religious school.

Yes, my neighbours here have lovely children, in their early teens, and I do agree that most of the Sydney children I have met have not
only been friendly to adults, but also quite willing to have a conversation with them. But also, I had the same experience when living in Wolverhampton - the children I met there were lovely too.

I think a lot of it does have to do with the area that you live in - I could quite easily move to another suburb of sydney and experience personal crime every week. Likewise, another suburb of Wolverhampton.

Catherine
Once you get into the religious schools, you do find a lot of people are not there for religious instruction, in fact many of them moan about it there in there for the cheap fees.

Example most catholic schools have very cheap fees, the rest is funded by the taxpayer just like a state school.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

to be fair on Vash, he ofen goes out of this way to look at stats ( a good objective metric) even when others have long not bothered to interpret them. What has he just done?
Of couse as we all know, stats can be problematic.
Claimed australia was not even in the top 60 crime wise, when it was actually 13th usual stuff you can come up if you play around with figures.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Mummy
Perhaps children may turn out nicer here because of the religious upbringing, and the fear not of authority but that of god? I am not religious myself before anyone comments on this, and would not send my son to a religious school, it is merely an observation that I have. Virtually every Australian that I have met goes to church, and most that I know have sent their children to a religious school.
I don't think it is the fear of God, but more the tolerance thta is being taught.
My daughter goes to a sort of religious school, and one thing they do press is the 5 C's.

Consideration, Compassion and another 3 that I can't think of (she wil not be impressed with me)

Most of the kids are very respectful to the Adults, but not, in my opinion, "deeply" religious.

Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Claimed australia was not even in the top 60 crime wise, when it was actually 13th usual stuff you can come up if you play around with figures.
I'm not going to cover mistakes with figures because they could be meaningless. I don't know if the mistake was Vash's or the statitician. Some of the *points* he makes are valid though.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:44 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

The UK is the 6th worst in the world for crime while OZ is 13th.
OZ has a lower crime rate then Britain even though it is a country whose people are decended from criminals. 200 years ago it was the criminals going to OZ, now its law obiding people going to OZ to escape crime.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 6th 2006 at 3:52 am.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the following is relevant in this debate. At my Daughters primary school, they have a Buddy system, where the new grade preps, are buddied up with a grade 6 child. My Daughter now has a prep Buddy. However in the first week things didn't go to well. The new prep originating from a far eastern european background, seems to have at first glance, a inbuilt hatred of coloured people. This was displayed in the playground, by the little errm darling, singling out the few brown skinned children, trying to get the other prep kids not to play with them. After a couple of days of not having much effect, she took to straight out kicking and punching them.

This was an total shock, to my peace and all encompassing 11 yo daughter, who after complaing about the behaviour to the intergration teacher, who dealt with the problem at the time. My daughter decided in her 11 year old wisdom, to front the parents, with a "how dare you bring up a rascist daughter" to a Burka wearing parent.

We didn't find out about this issue until after the Parent confronting event, The whole issue has caused mild panic amongst the Citroen, and Peugeot driving left week intellectuals, of the school council, and the situation is in a state of flux. Lets just say the issue is being treated very seriously.

Mind you it is a slightly amusing situation, and after many many hours of meetings I'm sure they will bring in some new kind of rule.

The outcome will eventually be one of tolerance being demanded though. The seriousness with which this is being treated says a lot about the Aussie education system.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I don't think it is the fear of God, but more the tolerance thta is being taught.
My daughter goes to a sort of religious school, and one thing they do press is the 5 C's.

Consideration, Compassion and another 3 that I can't think of (she wil not be impressed with me)

Most of the kids are very respectful to the Adults, but not, in my opinion, "deeply" religious.
In my experience in the suburbs and cities, I can't say that many Aussies are religious. Most are secular. But there are bible belts around. There's one near Narre Warren in SE Melly.

Having said that, Australia is a very conservative country but much less so now. There is a big gap this last 2 generations.

I'm with ABC, sending your kid to a 'church' school is no big deal and they get a good education. They won't flog it to death though.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's all perception and experience isn't it - it was interesting to read the list of places some people have lived in and seemingly never experienced any crime. If we're going to face up to the fact that Oz has its problems, then I think the rose-tinted specs should come off with regard the UK too. Maybe I'm some sort of magnet for it, but I've lived in some of those same towns that people have listed and seen more than my fair share of crime first-hand (GBH and attempted murder included). I've also lived abroad in three different countries, including Oz and the US and I can honestly state they enjoyed far less crime in the town I lived in in upstate new york than we have done in my 'sleepy' Cotswold town (which includes an armed robbery of the local building society, two attempted abductions of children, a sexual assault of a child and several hit-and-runs, one resulting in death). I'm not saying the UK is like Calcutta-with-drizzle, but if you're going to talk about crime in Oz, you should expect things to be three times as bad back here in the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:26 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the fantastic views expressed in this thread.

Good luck everyone !

Gary.

Last edited by robos; Feb 6th 2006 at 8:49 am.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

I read this thread late last night and on the whole, the sentiments expressed are virtually same as my own. I am so shocked at the stories being told about unruly and disrespectful kids in the UK in seemingly nicer parts of the country.

I know that Oz will also have it's problems and indeed I'd be concerned if there were not any!.........of course it will have the usual fighting, drugs, robberies etc etc etc....statistics can be presented in all sorts of ways...believe me I know as I make accounts say good or bad depending on what message I try to present.........nothing illegal mind you !!!!

Anyway.........for many people here and me included we are going for our kids and in that we have got our kids into what we can only hope is the best school we could in the area we are going to near my cousins and family.

It is a church school and the "rules" are strict but I would not want it any other way and we are not that religious....christians yes but we take it or leave it sometimes........:

Anyway, some people here may think this list is a bit extreme, but hey they go to learn not have a fashion show or bully people.

My boys have had their 2nd day now and are making new friends and at least tell me they enjoy it...I can tell they do by their voices. There are just 11 in my youngest boys (twins aged 9) class so they have more chance of getting teachers help and assistance. There are 28 in my eldest sons class who is aged 10.

By all accounts, this new school they go to is well run and kids show respect for adults and the discipline is evident..........and so to are the rewards for those kids "achieving" things be it exemplary behaviour, academics or sport or just improving themselves.

Above all else, aside missing me and dealing with so many new things, they are happy. Could not ask or more.

Cheers

Last edited by Olibeneli; Feb 6th 2006 at 9:08 am.
    Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:36 am
    Just Joined

australia to canada will become famous soon enough

Some people are in for one big mother of a wake up call when they land.
    Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:17 am
    Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australia to canada
    And Canada's going to be sooooooo different
    Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:34 am
    BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australia to canada
    I think you may underestimate the users of this forum.

I don't think anyone on here is expecting the land of Oz to be Nirvana.......Narnia (ie good "fighting" bad) with sun perhaps!

I think we all know shit happens all over the world:
    racism
    verbal abuse at work
    bullying at work
    poor schooling
    poor housing
    traffic
    hoons
    yobbos
    chavs
    fast food junk
    poor TV (including in the UK)
    racial and religious hatred
    .........you name it, I expect to find varying degrees of it whereever I live so I am under no illusions.

I was just reading yesterday about racial abuse shouted at the South African cricket players at the WACA..........and they might not want to come and play again in Oz if it carrys on.............we get same crap at probably every league football ground in the UK. Officials in both places are trying to sort it out but hey, the world we live in will always have such people who want to do this.
    Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:41 pm
    Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve`o
    i dont think its an area thing in the UK
    its peoples attitudes that have changed

from personal experience

we live, i like to think in a good area of Manchester
    nice house good neighbours and our daughter attends the local grammar school
    we live in trafford one of the last bastions of grammar school education and we moved here purposely to get our daughter into this highly rated school, she`s in her second year

this year however her class`s has been badly disrupted by two pupils in her class, last year they were "lads" a bit noisy but nothing bad, they have come back after the summer holidays as completely different kids
    very disruptive abusive f-ing and blinding in class
    these are only 12 / 13 year olds
    they have both been excluded on several occasions
    but even excluding them is a joke
    for example if they overstep the line and are removed from class pending a 3 day exclusion.
    under the present rules the school has to give them
    a minimum of 24 hrs notice, so the little sods get to disrupt the lessons the next day as well then they get 3 days off school, no obvious hardship and come back in again the next Monday to repeat the whole scenario
    we have spoken to the teachers they feel that their hands are tied. as i said at the start this isn`t some inner city school in a rough area, you have to pass an entrance exam to get in this school and every year its massively over subscribed

i still think alot of it is down to the dont give a f**k attitude and total lack of discipline that i mentioned earlier in this thread

regards Steve

Us parents should be allowed to deal with the scrote's.....i'd slap them back into line ....and get them to wash my car !!!

Ali
    Old Feb 7th 2006, 3:00 am
    The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
    I think you may underestimate the users of this forum.

I don't think anyone on here is expecting the land of Oz to be Nirvana.......Narnia (ie good "fighting" bad) with sun perhaps!

I think we all know shit happens all over the world:
    racism
    verbal abuse at work
    bullying at work
    poor schooling
    poor housing
    traffic
    hoons
    yobbos
    chavs
    fast food junk
    poor TV (including in the UK)
    racial and religious hatred
    .........you name it, I expect to find varying degrees of it whereever I live so I am under no illusions.

I was just reading yesterday about racial abuse shouted at the South African cricket players at the WACA..........and they might not want to come and play again in Oz if it carrys on.............we get same crap at probably every league football ground in the UK. Officials in both places are trying to sort it out but hey, the world we live in will always have such people who want to do this.

I agree, I don't think anyone is expecting Nirvana.
    So many people look on it as "the glass is half empty" though.

I prefer the "glass is half full".

I don't care if bread is 15 cents more expensive than UK. Or if 6 people got ejected from the cricket for racial abuse from a crowd of about 250,000 over three tests.
    I would reckon around 80% of those coming out will manage to give their kids a better life out here whether the "doom predictors" like it or not.

7 years here, rose tints still in place & loving every minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.