Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:00 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Hi everyone just thought i would share this with you. As some of you know we are well underway with the migration process after many years of putting it off. During the application process we have had much soul searching and scary decisions to face and overcome, as do all potential migrants in our position. Ultimately we want to give our 3 children a better chance in life and see Oz as a better prospect than where we are at present. Where we do live is considered a lovely quiet village, which it is! and i considered everything to be fine as none of the family ever mentioned anything (Until last night)!!!!!:scared:
Turns out that for the past 12 months the kids and wife (Jan) have all been increasingly unhappy with where we live and the surrounding area. The kids in particular are regularly threatened by local gangs of louts who live nearby, in fact its got that bad they say that unless we take them and pick them up then they will not go out. My eldest son, (16) and the most pleasent kid around, is even being threatened by a gang of 12 year olds (can you believe that)!!!!! I laugh but these kids are nutters who really believe they are hard. My lad can handle himself but feels intimidated by the fact that these idiots would ultimately turn to there extended family if he retaliated. (No win situation) It really is unbearable as far as the kids are concerned.
They used to have a busy social life, including Ice skating every week, but its got that bad now that there are regular fights there and a constant police presence, (nice way to spend a Friday evening)!!!
Anyway my point is that i felt shocked at finding this out as we live in such a nice place (apparently). But it did make me feel that what we are doing is definately the right thing to do. What i am trying to say is that this country now seems to be breeding people who cant or wont communicate with others, and will lash out in the blink of an eye, and seem to thrive on confrontation. Some might say that we should fight back, but me I think we are better than that. Its confirmed it for us now, come on D.I.M.I.A Get us out of here!!!!!!!!

Does anybody else feel the same or had a similar eye opener lately? Sorry to ramble but had to share my feelings with you all.
Gary.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel Shocked & Justified!!!

Originally Posted by robos
Does anybody else feel the same or had a similar eye opener lately? Sorry to ramble but had to share my feelings with you all.
Gary.

i personally think we are breeding a
"dont give a f**k about anyone" society in the UK
and again its only my opinion i believe that he heart of it lies at a total lack
of respect for your elders initiated when corporal punishment was banned
there is absolutely no discipline
young kids and i mean 8, 9 10 years old tell people to F**k off and get away with it
the teachers police and parents have had their hands tied by a liberalization of society

regards Steve
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:20 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hit the nail on the head with the 'kids having no respect for elders' comment. That's exactly how I felt the last few years in the UK. I had a lot of trouble with kids damaging my back fence and coming into my garden. I had it out with a parent who said something like "yeah, my car got scratched the other day but kids will be kids". I could have keeled over and turned up my toes at a comment like that. That sums it up for me.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:22 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

I agree entirely with your comments Steve, but at least we used to have a majority of parents willing to stamp this sort of behaviour out, now it seems that they dont give a damn what their kids get up to. This must surely be addresed sooner rather than later.
Gary.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Since coming to Brisbane my 13 year old has opened up and told me how threatened he felt in the UK. He just doesn't feel it here, warranted or not! He suffered an attempted mugging and various run-ins with scallies in the UK and to him the best bit about being here is no scallies.

Having said that at 3am this morning I had 3 armed police officers and a near naked strange man in my apartment. But that's another story.... It's pretty lively here in Highgate Hill!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Hi everyone just thought i would share this with you. As some of you know we are well underway with the migration process after many years of putting it off. During the application process we have had much soul searching and scary decisions to face and overcome, as do all potential migrants in our position. Ultimately we want to give our 3 children a better chance in life and see Oz as a better prospect than where we are at present. Where we do live is considered a lovely quiet village, which it is! and i considered everything to be fine as none of the family ever mentioned anything (Until last night)!!!!!:scared:
Turns out that for the past 12 months the kids and wife (Jan) have all been increasingly unhappy with where we live and the surrounding area. The kids in particular are regularly threatened by local gangs of louts who live nearby, in fact its got that bad they say that unless we take them and pick them up then they will not go out. My eldest son, (16) and the most pleasent kid around, is even being threatened by a gang of 12 year olds (can you believe that)!!!!! I laugh but these kids are nutters who really believe they are hard. My lad can handle himself but feels intimidated by the fact that these idiots would ultimately turn to there extended family if he retaliated. (No win situation) It really is unbearable as far as the kids are concerned.
They used to have a busy social life, including Ice skating every week, but its got that bad now that there are regular fights there and a constant police presence, (nice way to spend a Friday evening)!!!
Anyway my point is that i felt shocked at finding this out as we live in such a nice place (apparently). But it did make me feel that what we are doing is definately the right thing to do. What i am trying to say is that this country now seems to be breeding people who cant or wont communicate with others, and will lash out in the blink of an eye, and seem to thrive on confrontation. Some might say that we should fight back, but me I think we are better than that. Its confirmed it for us now, come on D.I.M.I.A Get us out of here!!!!!!!!

Gary.
I agree with everything you said. Our two boys now live the house all the time only go where we go.
But my friend lives in Oz and there was two youths casing havoc at the local shops. The police took them home and guess what they were British and had not long moved over with their parents It just makes you mad eh?
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:28 am
one day rodders !!!

Originally Posted by clanwylie
I agree with everything you said. Our two boys now live the house all the time only go where we go.
But my friend lives in Oz and there was two youths casing havoc at the local shops. The police took them home and guess what they were British and had not long moved over with their parents It just makes you mad eh?

I agree totally clanwylie.
It really is no wonder that the rest of the world consider people from the U.K to be the scum of the earth! and to run a mile. :scared: (They cant all be wrong can they)!!!
Gary.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:29 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

One big difference with kids / youths here is that they are all capable of holding a conversation with an adult and I think this goes a long way to there being a mutual respect. I'm not saying all Oz kids are angels and all Brit kids are the spawn of the devil, just that this is my experience so far.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I agree entirely with your comments Steve, but at least we used to have a majority of parents willing to stamp this sort of behaviour out, now it seems that they dont give a damn what their kids get up to. This must surely be addresed sooner rather than later.
Gary.
( again only my opinion )
thats because scum breed scum and its been happening since the eighties jobs were scarce then and a certain section of our society found that it didnt really have to work, bang out a couple of kids and the dole paid your rent rates and gave you money for the pub
jump forward 16/18 years and the kids that were brought up this way and had never had a working parent have kids of their own jump forward again
to the early noughties 00 ( aptly named ) and the third generation that now have grandparents and parents who wont work and now have had
all forms of external discipline removed
whey hey for them they do what they like with no restrictions no one can clip them round the ear ( happened to me as a kid ) take them home to the parents ( again guilty sh*t me right up ) as they are just as bad

and you have the situation that is prevalent now

and whats even worse i cannot see a way out

now that really frightening
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
One big difference with kids / youths here is that they are all capable of holding a conversation with an adult and I think this goes a long way to there being a mutual respect. I'm not saying all Oz kids are angels and all Brit kids are the spawn of the devil, just that this is my experience so far.
I think you are right! They seems to be more kids who only know abusive conversations with adults here. But lets hope families taking their kids over to Oz will show some respect to their new country!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:44 am
one day rodders !!!

Out of curiuosity what is the system in Oz for discipline in schools, and socialy how is the parental role viewed by the authorities?
Thanks, Gary.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Just after the new year me and the wife and sprog went up to Sydney for a day trip. We got on the train and noticed it was a lot busier than usual and as we went further up the line the train got busier and busier. Turned out it was a sponsored walk for some charity or other - everyone meeting up somewhere up the line. Anyway - this family gets on the train and sits opposite us on the other side of the aisle - it being two teenage lads (about 15 years old) and mum and dad. The boys chat away to their parents about this and that and it amazed me and the missus so much that we commented on how two 15 year old brits would have behaved in the same circumstances. When the train reached the station at the start of the walk and everyone got off, I was amazed to see the number of children accompanying their parents - everyone jovial and chatting away. Does seem sometimes that we're breeding a nation of wankers over here in the UK ...
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:58 am
one day rodders !!!

Worries the hell out of me that my kids have to mix with this scum in school. It has a terrible reputation locally, for the kids unrully behavior and the teachers inability to control them. This culture is as SteveO said, on its third generation and only going to get worse as the kids of today know no better and have the wrong sort of example set to them from the outset. It really is a sad state.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worries the hell out of me that my kids have to mix with this scum in school. It has a terrible reputation locally, for the kids unrully behavior and the teachers inability to control them. This culture is as SteveO said, on its third generation and only going to get worse as the kids of today know no better and have the wrong sort of example set to them from the outset. It really is a sad state.
Your right!! Come on DIMIA get those visas out so we can flee and take our kids with us!!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

My 15 year old was bullied in the UK and never told me as she didn't want me to go into the school. She's only been here about 4 weeks but we have noticed a change in her already. After the second day she said she was amazed by what the kids brought for lunch (pasta salad, hummous & carrot sticks, cheese & crackers, fruit salad etc.) she said if some kid had done that in the UK they would have been bullied for the rest of their time there! If you didn't hang round the chippy at lunch time you might as well say goodbye to ever having friends!!

I have been feeling so guilty about not bringing her to Oz sooner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.