Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family of 4 Moving to Sydney ( 1 year old and 2 year old girls)

Family of 4 Moving to Sydney ( 1 year old and 2 year old girls)

Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Paddywest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 4 Moving to Sydney ( 1 year old and 2 year old girls)

Hi All,

Looks like the place to discuss all things Australian!

I've been offered an IT job in Sydney which my wife applied for behind my back
Well shes always wanted to travel, Im relatively happy in Ireland but we're going to move over for a few years and see where life takes us.

I've one main question that i can't seem to find on the net.
Is it possible to get finance (credit) to buy a car in Australia once landed?

I'll be working for a large multinational, reputable company on good money.
I've got a quote of bringing our own car over from Ireland but its costing 7K Euors all in which I think is fairly dear.

As we have 2 young kids I was thinking of possibly purchasing a new car once over, I've a good credit rating here, but dont know if that will stand up when appling for a loan in Sydney.

As regards where to live, well my work is based in maquerie Park, So we were thinking of living somwhere in the hills district, Castle hills or Baulkham hills maybe.
My wife is a nurse and we are hopefull she might get a few days a week work over there aswell once landed.

I've researched the expense of Sydney, housing food, childcare, etc so think we have enough money coming in from my job to cover us. ( hopefully but it is frightening)

Any thoughts ideas welcome, maybe the areas we seem to think are nice would not be suitable etc.

We would love some outdoor sun on evenings and weekends for our girls as here in ireland it does rains for 10 months and at this stage it would be nice to wear some T shirtss!

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Paddywest; Jan 15th 2013 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 4 Moving to Sydney ( 1 year old and 2 year old girls)

We had no trouble getting finance for a car when we landed. We both had jobs and permanent residency, if you are on a temporary visa then they will lend over the lifetime of the visa or less but I am sure most do not want a long car loan so that hopefully is not an issue.

Your choice of area to live in seems ok, I would probably look Turramurra or that direction myself, but your money will go further in the Hills.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 15th 2013 at 11:13 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

On a side note, your wife may be better off starting her registration now as it can take a while and AHPRA can be pedantic in the way they want documents presented. It will be easier if your wife is still in Ireland to do this rather than trying to get in touch with people from overseas x
http://www.ahpra.gov.au/
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Check out your parking situation if you drive, as since Optus moved into the area all of the parking disappeared or became chargeable to te employee. (close to $3.5k pa when I left in 2010).

Hills District could be good (never lived there) Upper Nth Shore would be good (lived there for 11 yrs). Depending on how far out you are though, don't underestimate how long it can take to get into the Talavera/ Lyon Park Rd area from the approaches (Wicks Road, Lane Cove Road, Epping Road, Delhi Rd through the LCNP). They look deceptively short and easy on Google, but can get seriously messed up.

I used to be able to run from Lane Cove to Nth Ryde, faster than I could drive it most mornings.

It's a very good 'hub area' though and I would imagine has most things a family needs (don't have kids so not sure). If it were me and you're on good money. I'd be heading towards Turramurra direction as BS points out. Nice area.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We had no trouble getting finance for a car when we landed. We both had jobs and permanent residency, if you are on a temporary visa then they will lend over the lifetime of the visa or less but I am sure most do not want a long car loan so that hopefully is not an issue.

Your choice of area to live in seems ok, I would probably look Turramurra or that direction myself, but your money will go further in the Hills.
Thanks for that, I've done some enquiries and it seems alot more easy than i Thought.
Will check out Turramurra aswell
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
On a side note, your wife may be better off starting her registration now as it can take a while and AHPRA can be pedantic in the way they want documents presented. It will be easier if your wife is still in Ireland to do this rather than trying to get in touch with people from overseas x
http://www.ahpra.gov.au/
Good to know, I've printed out the forms for herself to apply, she is an Infection Control manager over here, she'd love to stick to the same area of nursing but I'd say she'd be as happy just to secure good employment. She has experience in theatre and A and E also. Just hoping there are hospital vacancies around Ryde Hills area so commute would be long
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Check out your parking situation if you drive, as since Optus moved into the area all of the parking disappeared or became chargeable to te employee. (close to $3.5k pa when I left in 2010).

Hills District could be good (never lived there) Upper Nth Shore would be good (lived there for 11 yrs). Depending on how far out you are though, don't underestimate how long it can take to get into the Talavera/ Lyon Park Rd area from the approaches (Wicks Road, Lane Cove Road, Epping Road, Delhi Rd through the LCNP). They look deceptively short and easy on Google, but can get seriously messed up.

I used to be able to run from Lane Cove to Nth Ryde, faster than I could drive it most mornings.

It's a very good 'hub area' though and I would imagine has most things a family needs (don't have kids so not sure). If it were me and you're on good money. I'd be heading towards Turramurra direction as BS points out. Nice area.
Thanks for the heads up, will check that, as far as I know the parking is free in our company but better find out now if its not