Fairfax News

Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fairfax News

Not sure if this has extended to other publications but smh.com.au now only allows you to read 10 articles a month before hitting you up with a fee to read more. Fair enough, they are running a business, but there are other publications out there who don't so people, including myself are just going to go elsewhere.

Anyone else finding this?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:23 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fairfax News

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not sure if this has extended to other publications but smh.com.au now only allows you to read 10 articles a month before hitting you up with a fee to read more.
It's been noted and fixed, via a variety of methods. Easiest is probably :

A simple filter rule in Adblock – ||fairfax.com.au^

There are also Chrome and Firefox additions to clear the cookies/persistent data is uses.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2083182
http://www.exterminate-it.com/malped...ove-smh-com-au
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gniaelmf?hl=en
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

There are also Chrome and Firefox additions to clear the cookies/persistent data is uses.

Yeah I figured it was a cookies thing. Will jump on those links for the PC. Thanks

What about the android phone internet browser. I wonder if there's something for that.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yeah I figured it was a cookies thing. Will jump on those links for the PC. Thanks

What about the android phone internet browser. I wonder if there's something for that.
Incognito mode in chrome?

Should mean that it has to start counting from zero every new tab - but I don't read it myself so I don't know if it works.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

I'm actually thinking of taking out a subscription for the Sydney Morning Herald for $15 a month when they bring it in fully. After all we pay for iTunes, some apps, and even a dollar or two for a paper newspaper now and again. Fifty cents a day isn't much and if enough people do it, at least they can continue to provide some level of journalism. Between that, ABC online news and News 24 on iView I'd be well covered.
Problem with news outlets is that many younger people now get all their news from satirical sites. I have a gen Y mate (who appallingly is a phD) who keeps sending me items he's seen on "the onion" site and is absolutely convinced that it's a serious news organisation, Gawd help us.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
I'm actually thinking of taking out a subscription for the Sydney Morning Herald for $15 a month when they bring it in fully. After all we pay for iTunes, some apps, and even a dollar or two for a paper newspaper now and again. Fifty cents a day isn't much and if enough people do it, at least they can continue to provide some level of journalism. Between that, ABC online news and News 24 on iView I'd be well covered.
Problem with news outlets is that many younger people now get all their news from satirical sites. I have a gen Y mate (who appallingly is a phD) who keeps sending me items he's seen on "the onion" site and is absolutely convinced that it's a serious news organisation, Gawd help us.
I really don't see most news sites as something worth paying for. Most just rehash stories/text/etc from elsewhere at a superficial level - and generally with an emphasis on the political slant of the owner (eg they lie shamelessly). If the owner wants to pump out propaganda, they can pay for it, and in fact I think they should be paying me to accept it.

The three main places I go are Google News, BBC News and The Guardian. If a 'news' site wanted me to pay, they'd have to deliver:
  • Zero bias. I want the facts, and realistic extrapolation and interpretation - not some right wing oligarchs bias (news.com.au I'm looking at you, particularly in recent weeks)
  • Deep and intelligent analysis. I'm not interested superficial b*ll*cks - I want to know why it matters, what the consequences are, and if it doesn't matter I DON'T WANT TO SEE IT.
  • Smart personalisation. I want to know stuff that matters to me, and to be able to use it and build on it as I see fit. That means no DRM.
Until then, no money.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is these days is that everyone wants everything for free particularly when it comes to music, films and news.

With regards to news are you saying that nothing is original and that all reports are re-hashed? I know for sure that this not the case and most media groups will do there own investigations - of course some news is bought from international news groups and to think otherwise would be naive. If we don;t pay for these things they just wont be produced in future - you can't afford to run on fresh air.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fab, thanks for the links
Its causing us a huge headache at work as a large part of our job is to monitor news sites, but the government won't pay for the subscriptions so unless we subscribe personally we are constantly having to jump around between different browsers and computers to get a whole picture of one news item. I knew there had to be a way round the problem.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats fab, thanks for the links
Its causing us a huge headache at work as a large part of our job is to monitor news sites, but the government won't pay for the subscriptions so unless we subscribe personally we are constantly having to jump around between different browsers and computers to get a whole picture of one news item. I knew there had to be a way round the problem.
How can the job require monitoring of news sources, but they not pay for subs?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:52 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Hebe
With regards to news are you saying that nothing is original and that all reports are re-hashed? I know for sure that this not the case and most media groups will do there own investigations - of course some news is bought from international news groups and to think otherwise would be naive. If we don;t pay for these things they just wont be produced in future - you can't afford to run on fresh air.
The current top story on SMH is about a preliminary report on a forced landing of a Virgin plane at Mildura.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...718-2q6e7.html

Virgin Australia plane in fuel emergency at Mildura airport
Matt O'Sullivan - Business Reporter
Passengers were told to "brace, brace, brace" and keep their heads down as a Virgin Australia plane had no choice but to make an emergency landing at a fog-bound airport because it was running out of fuel....
and here is the story from a blog, posted 3 hours earlier
Passengers on the Virgin flight, which started in Brisbane as an Adelaide service, were ordered to BRACE, BRACE, BRACE by cabin crew as their jet, with no option left but to touch down, landed in a blinding fog and had only 535 kilograms of fuel left in its tanks upon engine shutdown.
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...ra-fog-crisis/

You'll excuse me if I'm not overflowing in my belief in hard journalistic work, by the 'reporter' that is. You'll also notice the much greater detail in the earlier blog report.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How can the job require monitoring of news sources, but they not pay for subs?
Queensland Government........need I say more!
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey is run by a number of disgruntled former Fairfax journalists
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Crikey is run by a number of disgruntled former Fairfax journalists
Sounds like they got rid of the wrong people....

Problem is, the existing newspaper model is dead, and online solutions look much more like blogs than they do DRMed fairfax sites. The existing newspaper entities are top heavy, slow, and not that much use when it comes to quality.

It's a regular occurrence, stories are run, without attribution, copied from blogs and fora. In contrast to the stories that newspaper journalists like to run - it's they that are the parasites in the relationship.

Is it any wonder that those that know won't pay?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like they got rid of the wrong people....

Problem is, the existing newspaper model is dead, and online solutions look much more like blogs than they do DRMed fairfax sites. The existing newspaper entities are top heavy, slow, and not that much use when it comes to quality.

It's a regular occurrence, stories are run, without attribution, copied from blogs and fora. In contrast to the stories that newspaper journalists like to run - it's they that are the parasites in the relationship.

Is it any wonder that those that know won't pay?
Are you a journalist or work for/have worked for print media?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Are you a journalist or work for/have worked for print media?
Nah, but I've had dealings with journalists, seen them in action, and seen how reactive they are.

I see them not so much as reporters of truth/facts, but spinners of tall tales. If those stories happen to be original, truthful or provide any insight is entirely incidental to the main thread of spinning a story.