Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eye Tests and Spectacles in Australia

Eye Tests and Spectacles in Australia

Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Aussielover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eye Tests and Spectacles in Australia

Any comments on the cost of Eye Tests/Prescription Spectacles in Australia versus UK?

I'm moving to Adelaide at the end of the month and need a new pair of prescription sunglasses; should I take a test and buy them here, or wait until I'm in Australia? I don't get any help with costs by the way...

Thanks All In Advance!
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye Tests and Spectacles in Australia

Originally Posted by Aussielover
Any comments on the cost of Eye Tests/Prescription Spectacles in Australia versus UK?

I'm moving to Adelaide at the end of the month and need a new pair of prescription sunglasses; should I take a test and buy them here, or wait until I'm in Australia? I don't get any help with costs by the way...

Thanks All In Advance!
Permanent residents and citizens get one free eye test every two years through Medicare in Oz. I've found specs to cost around the same in both.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that; I think I'll just get a pair here then, since we've yet to even contemplate understanding Medicare - the more I read, the less I understand...!

{By the way, the best Optician in the UK is in your neck of the woods - right next to the Cathedral in Chester... I'm too far away in Edinburgh now, but they were brilliant in every way when I lived down there.}
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that; I think I'll just get a pair here then, since we've yet to even contemplate understanding Medicare - the more I read, the less I understand...!

{By the way, the best Optician in the UK is in your neck of the woods - right next to the Cathedral in Chester... I'm too far away in Edinburgh now, but they were brilliant in every way when I lived down there.}
You'll get the hang of Medicare as you go along - any specific questions just ask. We Aussies know the system but because there are so many strands to it, we struggle to explain the entirety in one go. We're better at answering a specific question (such as yours above)

Ta for the optometrist tip - Chester's a bit far from me (around 25 miles) but I've found a good'un 5 minutes away

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 9th 2017 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

WOW bit of a sweeping statement, best optician in the UK... Personal choice/experince!!!

For me the best optician I stumbled across was on Tottenham court Road in London, as it was the first that offered retinal scans and the customer service was outstanding. Independent and not a chain like specsavers.

Since I have been in Australia I have used OPSM(chain), due to perks with my company healthcare. In the last few days used a local independent business, which far provided a better experience, from eye test to customer service and worked out overall cheaper from frames and lenses.

If you have a healthcare plan after you move to Australia, review the member benefits to see who provides the best discounts. One thing I like about Australia is the local/independent business attitude. Check out the local opticians in your new neighbour hood. They will(I hope) have invested in the latest technology for eye test's ie retinal scans etc.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Sal and I get our free prescription every couple of years and then buy our glasses in China. Plenty of places on Aliexpress, you just choose your frames, shoot them over your script and they're shipped to you. Sal was quoted about $800 for her bi-focally gradienty glasses locally but got them from China for $58 delivered. Excellent quality and only take about a week to show up.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks SoCalDon, I don't have a strong prescription but still worth thinking about the Chinese route for glasses,; I would've been concerned that my payment might vanish into the ether, so a positive experience is worth hearing about.

{And yes evets, I was perhaps being a bit tongue-in-cheek with my 'Best In The UK' claim - but they were vey good!}
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
Sal and I get our free prescription every couple of years and then buy our glasses in China. Plenty of places on Aliexpress, you just choose your frames, shoot them over your script and they're shipped to you. Sal was quoted about $800 for her bi-focally gradienty glasses locally but got them from China for $58 delivered. Excellent quality and only take about a week to show up.
Hey, do you have more details about this, not sure if you can post on the forum?
If not PM me, as my prescription has changed and have a few pairs of sunglasses that now need new lenses And will cost a small fortune to get the lenses replaced locally!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

{And yes evets, I was perhaps being a bit tongue-in-cheek with my 'Best In The UK' claim - but they were vey good!}
No worries, me maybe a little keyboard trigger happy!!! And yes I agree with you some optician's are a very personal experience. Shame they are now too far away from you.

Would you be taking out private healthcare when you move to Oz, if so check out the extras as to what is paid for prescription glasses. For me, I was covered for $300 annually before I was out of pocket.

Retinal scans are not covered by Medicare or private healthcare.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Hey, do you have more details about this, not sure if you can post on the forum?
If not PM me, as my prescription has changed and have a few pairs of sunglasses that now need new lenses And will cost a small fortune to get the lenses replaced locally!
I dropped you a PM just in case but aliexpress.com is where we buy all sorts of stuff from clothes to led lights and bins. Awesome bargains as long as you don't mind waiting a few weeks for delivery.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do this too - Get the script done here, and then order them online.

I've used both selectspecs and clearlycontacts with no problems at all. Many local suppliers try to charge extra for coatings etc, but most modern lenses include the coatings as standard - it's actually very hard to get uncoated ones these days.

S
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped you a PM just in case but aliexpress.com is where we buy all sorts of stuff from clothes to led lights and bins. Awesome bargains as long as you don't mind waiting a few weeks for delivery.
+1

Also have a look at Geekbuying and Gearbest - very much the same
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Specsavers currently have an offer for 2 pairs of single vision glasses with designer frames for $50 for HBF members

I got 2 pairs of non-designer glasses for $29 2 years ago

Eye tests are of course covered by Medicare
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Permanent residents and citizens get one free eye test every two years through Medicare in Oz. I've found specs to cost around the same in both.
The Medicare rules have changed: from 1 Jan 2015, under 65 get a full comprehensive exam every three years, over 65 is now annually.
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cor...e-examinations

Anybody with a progressive eye disorder is entitled to more frequent testing; if you return to an optometrist with new signs/symptoms you get a comprehensive test as necessary, and if you just want your prescription checked before you buy new specs Medicare will pay for that too.

Last edited by ianandhelena; Jan 10th 2017 at 7:03 am. Reason: info
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

It sounds like good Eyecare won't be too much of an issue - free basic eye-tests and access to inexpensive glasses sounds pretty good to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.