expensive

Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:50 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expensive

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
I see these posts about the cost of things a lot and don't really agree most of the time.... sure I see that some things are more expensive, but many of the other things aren't and it evens itself out....

I live half my life in Australia and half my life in the UK, on comparable jobs and in comparible parts of the country...

petrol is cheaper here, as is eating out (we can eat out in our local town for under $50 and for less than $70 you can get some real;ly flash places - and this is considered to be one of Austrlias most expensive suburbs), my council taxx in Australia is $1300 per year, for my house that overlooks the beach, compared to 1350 POUNDS in the UK for the my one bedroom apartment...my electric bills, phone etc much cheaper here (internet still sucks), I spend less on going to the pub because the beach in the afternoon is a better investment of my time.......

I have to say that financially I fee better off in Australia, but probably not by much - I live in a nice place, always have, and I lived in a nice place in the UK. The thing is, in the UK I didn't have an apartment in Chelsea with great views.....so I wouldn't expect to have a house on Sydney Harbour or overlooking hte beach ......

Many of the English people I know make that mistake - move to Australia from some little town or medioclre sized city, and want to live in the middle of Melbourne....or overlooking Manly Beach..... thats the same as my parents moving from there 5 bed house on the mid-north coast NSW to London and complaining that the can't afford even a tiny bedsit in Kensington....

I said it on a post here the other day - lifestyle (for me) there is nothing like Australia, and much of it is free...... but this is a personal decision for me (if you like the pub egery night, then perhaps the UK is the best for you.... I like the pub everynight....for about 2 years, then I long for hte beach again)...

I can't find anything better than coming home from the office and going for a surf, or a walk on the beach, or just being outside in the garden digging up stuff cause its warm and sunny (not today, admitedly)....

Money is not everything, and if its lifestyle and happiness then I'm a far wealtheir man for the times that I am in Australia than the times I spend in the UK.....no question.
Great post.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Many grapes near your sewage works?
I laugh when that sultana bran add comes on, the singing grapevine mum and the 2 nerdy kids, should send them the real sultana bran kid, free plunger with every box
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:04 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Great post.
Jeez...didn't even know you were still with us. Coming to Mel CBD March the 7th or 8th or summit?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

YOu are drinking too much milk! Buy meat out of the butchers....better quality and value.

I agree that when you start with toiletries, baby stuff and washing stuff, it all starts to add up at the counter.
I must admit I buy in bulk from the butchers. $6 a kilo for whole rump which I cut or ask to be cut into 3 joints or slices depending, makes a nice joint. Chicken breast are cheaper in bulk same as mince, chops etc, I bag them into family sizes for the month. Plus cereal is whatever is on offer and if cordial is on offer I buy more etc. Mostly I send hubby out cause I hate it so much and he buys whats on the list only.

We do splurge and buy fresh fish from local wharf and experiment sometimes. Otherwise basra is good in a nice parsley sauce (home made of course) or in currys. I am not big on very fishy fish and it is quite a bland fish. Like swordfish too but thats a treat and we buy prawns.

Ok do spend more sometimes if I run out of all cleaning stuff but still can I come and live with you.

Jo

Jo

Last edited by joho; Feb 29th 2008 at 9:21 am.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
I lived in Richmond just outside London in a 1 bed flat on a main road (45 mins to 1 hour to get into central London) which we sold for the equivalent of $850,000. In Melbourne I have just bought in Bonbeach (again 45 mins to 1 hour into CBD) for $392,00 only it's a 3 bed house. Okay so Bonbeach hasn't got the fabulous shopping centre/sense of glamour that Richmond had but it has got a gorgeous white sandy beach
I grew up near there. Amazing place. It's precisely the sort of place if you had a family home there, you'd never leave the Uk - I'd be there now probably. Maybe for a trip out to the cuds cos you could probably afford a second house...

My view is that Australia is not worth migrating to now for many. It just isn't - unless you want to get into a niche situation - like semi-rural or country, but many people want a 4x2 in the same old areas and in Melbourne and capital cities the median price on a family home is half a mil + (and the rest).

We got lucky to get a cheaper home in a great area, but it was literally one of the last going begging.....as my boss said, the last decent land left in Melbourne in that bracket - quite literally.

Unless you're downsizing I would'n't be migrating now unless I was desperate - or flush.

edit- in the light of a positive post on the COL I've just read:
For some of us that are here already - we find that the cheaper things more than mitigate the more exy things - rates, utils, eating out, mortgage, equipment, servicing, insurance, petrol (just!) all seem cheaper.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 29th 2008 at 9:43 am.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:39 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Probably, or not, but if we all made decisions based on cash then how dull would life be?

As dull as a cocktail party in Islington, THAT is how dull.
True

But you cant pay the mortgage on fresh air

The intention of this thread was purely to make some people aware that some things in Aus are seriously expensive (just as in the UK) but Aus still has a reputation for being a 'cheaper' place to live.

Lee
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:41 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I must admit I buy in bulk from the butchers. $6 a kilo for whole rump which I cut or ask to be cut into 3 joints or slices depending, makes a nice joint. Chicken breast are cheaper in bulk same as mince, chops etc, I bag them into family sizes for the month. Plus cereal is whatever is on offer and if cordial is on offer I buy more etc. Mostly I send hubby out cause I hate it so much and he buys whats on the list only.

We do splurge and buy fresh fish from local wharf and experiment sometimes. Otherwise basra is good in a nice parsley sauce (home made of course) or in currys. I am not big on very fishy fish and it is quite a bland fish. Like swordfish too but thats a treat and we buy prawns.

Ok do spend more sometimes if I run out of all cleaning stuff but still can I come and live with you.

Jo

Jo

You can visit for a fortnight, if I can holiday with you for the same!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:44 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
True

But you cant pay the mortgage on fresh air

The intention of this thread was purely to make some people aware that some things in Aus are seriously expensive (just as in the UK) but Aus still has a reputation for being a 'cheaper' place to live.

Lee
Lee, I agree with both you and Badge.

Australia is definitely not cheap.

I am very lucky to earn a good salary and my OH is more of an average earner. We have a equity. In the last six months, since we stopped being cash rich brits and actually living by the dollar, we think that is slightly more expensive than the UK. There are very few deals here, little buy one get one free or great offers. If you are exchanging pounds for dollars and are not minted, I think these are sobering times indeed.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Lee, I agree with both you and Badge.

Australia is definitely not cheap.

I am very lucky to earn a good salary and my OH is more of an average earner. We have a equity. In the last six months, since we stopped being cash rich brits and actually living by the dollar, we think that is slightly more expensive than the UK. There are very few deals here, little buy one get one free or great offers. If you are exchanging pounds for dollars and are not minted, I think these are sobering times indeed.
I agree, even with the money my husband earns I am not sure I would be coming now with the benefit of hindsight.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I can feel another Aldi post coming on . . .

Weekly shops about $120 plus veges delivered at $50.
We've discovered home delivered organic veggies from a farm around the corner is astonishingly good value.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:49 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
We've discovered home delivered organic veggies from a farm around the corner is astonishingly good value.

Where are you...? PM if you wish.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:51 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree, even with the money my husband earns I am not sure I would be coming now with the benefit of hindsight.

Honestly, when we got here we were paying out $2500 for tv cabinets etc because compared to Uk for handmade solid hardwood, it was so cheap.

Now I would expect a good carpet for that price throw-in!

Still earn good money, just more frugal with it!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't read the whole of this thread but...

I'm not moving to Oz for a cheaper life.

I'm moving for quality of life, the weather (I'm not good with the cold due to bad circulation) and in the summer I suffer with awful hayfever. Both of those things disappeared when I was over there.

With regards to house prices, I don't have a mortgage here, but a 2 bed house in the UK in my area is approx. 6.5x my salary. Looking at what I can expect to earn in Oz, and what I have seen on the net and from what my relatives have told me (cousin has just bought a 2 bed place over there) house prices are about 5.5x my expected salary, and I'm using a low expected salary. So it's going to be the same for me starting here or there.

Give it 5 years or so, and I can see companies like Tesco breaking into Oz and giving the likes of Coles and Woolworths a kick up the backside. It seems Oz is about 10 years behind the UK in aspects like that.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Bergen bread on special last night - $4.18 a loaf!

aaahhh your body works better with burgen!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:32 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by farrierswife
aaahhh your body works better with burgen!

I am still the lardy baSXtard I was when I started eating it though...I want my money back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.