expensive

Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:32 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expensive

Originally Posted by verystormy
Yeah, but you have to think what you would get in the UK espeicially London
A decent one bedroom flat in central London isnt going to leave much change from half a million
but i dont live in London ............
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment

Discuss ! ..........................

lee
Yes it is bad, but the exchange rate is only relevant once, albeit and expensive once. Personally I would only transfer what I desperatly needed and leave the rest until......

As far as cost of living is concerened the best thing to do is not compare, I find household bills cheaper on the whole to the UK, rates are $330 a quater, food can be a bit dearer becasue there are no bigif offers, but I think that will change very soon, apparently wallmart may be coming.........

My hubbies wages are £10k better than the uk and mine are about the same so no different there.

Its also a buyers market at the moment and some good deals to be had.

I dont know where you live, but you need to compare a comparable place to where you live for prices. Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane oh and Canberra are all pretty much the same for house prices and should be treated as capital cities as lets face it each state is at least 8 times the size of GB before you even break them down.

I wouldnt move back to the UK unless something really drastic happened.

Jo
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Not the sort of chat i need when im dreaming of a new life in Australia

31 years old with a 40k mortgage, got salary and final salary pension...i must be mad I have known this for years
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:32 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joho
Its also a buyers market at the moment and some good deals to be had.
Not questioning your logic, but how can it be a buyers market, when every Tom, Dick and Dianne, keeps pointing on here, and posting how house prices in Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide are flying up by the day, get over here quick and grab one before they all sell out etc?

Which is the truth, is it a buyers market or a sellers market, cannot be both?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:49 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
Not questioning your logic, but how can it be a buyers market, when every Tom, Dick and Dianne, keeps pointing on here, and posting how house prices in Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide are flying up by the day, get over here quick and grab one before they all sell out etc?

Trust me on this one its a sellers market in melbourne.The market went up 22% in the last 6 months...doesnt sound like a buyers market to me !

Lee
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover

Well certainly around Sydney the prices have stagnated and possilbly dropped a litlle. I can only speak for my area. But with interest rates rising I cant see it continuing to rise in the other areas for much longer if they are. Obviously personal opinions and probably wrong knowing me.

Its just another loop in the circle of life and ups and downs. It all boils down to what it is you are coming for because maybe you wont get it all.

Jo
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment

lee

10 months down the line we are finding it expensive, i know scotland is different from enlgand (better, lol), but its waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more expensive than scotland.

We are re-thinking everything just now, i keep hoping things will get better, but to be honest they dont seem to be, i get quite 'down' when i read of others now having a fab time, when our time seems to be getting worse and worse. I have also knackered my back, so no work for me for a while and no work, means no pay, at least if i was working for the nhs , i would still be getting paid.

Mind you no matter what happens we wont regret the fact we tried it, at least it will be out our system, and has made us 'think' in a differnet way, i also think it has , on the whole , been a great experience for out kids

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 28th 2008 at 7:51 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

If i dont get a 60 pointer from the TRA i will be re-thinking my move to Australia.

In the last 4 years i have worked my @ss into the ground.

To come over to Australia and barely be able to buy a flat way out of the city on a much lower wage and that coupled with exchange rates.

Its not about money for me but i have had a mortgage since i was 23 and im now 31.

I dont want to go backwards in life as im sure we all dont want.

Atleast if i get a skilled independent visa it will last for 5 years when verified.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:08 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

To be honest, i am going over for a look, just a holiday, got no intentions of moving over, (if i do) to Australia anytime in the next few years, well at least two or three, maybe four? If i like it?

From a personal perspective, i cannot think of a worse time to make the move, i have read alot on here, before i joined, and it seems to be getting harder and harder to justify the financial aspect of the move. Whether you have money or not, its still a dream for the majority, which if does come true, making it work for the long term could be very difficult?

My points are:

1. 4k visa
2. 4k reccie, validation trip (optional)
3. Exchange rate is worse than cr@p
4. Rents are going skyward in Oz
5. House prices are in orbit in Oz
6. Food and energy costs are not cheap and going up in Oz, they are contained here in the UK?
7. The UK is in the horse manure, sterling is on deaths door, and house prices here are falling? Well they certainly are not going up.

All in all, you have to think real hard whether it is worth it now? The people who went a few years back are laughing, whereas the ones yet to go, will find it all totally different with regards to the setting up and settling in costs?

But who know's, it could all be different in three or four years time?

Oh yes, i forgot, poor wages in Australia aswell, well in my field of employment, and interest rates which are heading into double figures! I am off for a drink, it will seem far more do-able after afew?

Last edited by brendarover; Feb 28th 2008 at 8:18 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

lee
Unfortunately, I think you've made an extremely valid point.

I've been really fired up about going to Melbourne in the last few months, and I'm still at a very early stage of the visa process. However, the last week has been one of the most depressing I've had for a long time when the economic reality of moving to Oz has started to hit home.

On top of the terrible exchange rate, the lower Oz wages, the seemingly spiraling Oz inflation rate, interest rates and house prices, I've just had my UK house valued and found that it's dropped in value considerably in the last 6 months,and I've been advised that the value is dropping further every month.

The reality is that moving to Australia is suddenly starting to look like it could be financially crippling.

I hope it improves, but I have a feeling that it's actually going to get worse.

Will someone please convince me that I'm wrong???
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:15 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by rushmere
Unfortunately, I think you've made an extremely valid point.

I've been really fired up about going to Melbourne in the last few months, and I'm still at a very early stage of the visa process. However, the last week has been one of the most depressing I've had for a long time when the economic reality of moving to Oz has started to hit home.

On top of the terrible exchange rate, the lower Oz wages, the seemingly spiraling Oz inflation rate, interest rates and house prices, I've just had my UK house valued and found that it's dropped in value considerably in the last 6 months,and I've been advised that the value is dropping further every month.

The reality is that moving to Australia is suddenly starting to look like it could be financially crippling.

I hope it improves, but I have a feeling that it's actually going to get worse.

Will someone please convince me that I'm wrong???
I think you've hit the nail on the head mate...sorry to say.

Lee
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:19 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Yeah, but you have to think what you would get in the UK espeicially London, you couldnt get a shed for £200k in central London. I live in Leicester in a small two up two down terrace in a very "iffy" area - red light district, and the going rent for my house is £150 per week or £140k to buy.
A decent one bedroom flat in central London isnt going to leave much change from half a million
I lived in Richmond just outside London in a 1 bed flat on a main road (45 mins to 1 hour to get into central London) which we sold for the equivalent of $850,000. In Melbourne I have just bought in Bonbeach (again 45 mins to 1 hour into CBD) for $392,00 only it's a 3 bed house. Okay so Bonbeach hasn't got the fabulous shopping centre/sense of glamour that Richmond had but it has got a gorgeous white sandy beach
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:23 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

IMO if you are bring over enough money to virtually buy outright in Aus then you're onto a winner but if you need a reasonable size mortgage its gonna be painful
I base this only on the figures i've been working on for myself.

Lee
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

I pray i get the 60 pointer from the TRA

£40K mortgage here and im only 31.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by paul76
I pray i get the 60 pointer from the TRA

£40K mortgage here and im only 31.
Good luck mate, one thing you have in your favour is you seem switched on, believe me, it will help you. You are still young, get your visa, leave it until maybe 2011 or 2012, it could be a totally different scenario, a week is a lifetime in economics? Three years are a trillion light years in economics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.