ExpatShield

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 1:23 am
Just Joined

glenn_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ExpatShield

has anyone used Apple tv? apparently you can get it jailbroken and get all of the uk channels over here
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 1:33 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenn_downunder
has anyone used Apple tv? apparently you can get it jailbroken and get all of the uk channels over here
As I understand it, there are no jailbreaks for the current Apple TV Gen 3 boxes. There's also likely to be Gen 4 boxes released soon.

In general if you want to make things like iplayer work, you want hacker friendly stuff, not apple.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
As I understand it, there are no jailbreaks for the current Apple TV Gen 3 boxes. There's also likely to be Gen 4 boxes released soon.

In general if you want to make things like iplayer work, you want hacker friendly stuff, not apple.
I bought a Roku 3 recently so I changed the WDTV that it replaced into a UK one and now I get iPlayer on it.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I bought a Roku 3 recently so I changed the WDTV that it replaced into a UK one and now I get iPlayer on it.
Yeah, it's possible to get the WDTV to play ball with changing 'locations' - though the newer one is less hacker friendly. Problem is, you still need a full VPN it seems to get it to work.

If you can instead run a PAC based proxy (basically javascript based proxy decisions) then you can use something like Media Hint to only route the necessary domains via the UK, leaving the rest untouched. At least at the moment, that means hackery.

What I'm thinking at the moment is a proxy server that itself runs the PAC file to reroute requests. That would allow anything you wanted to appear to be in the UK to just use what appears to the device to be a static proxy, but which was itself a dynamic proxy. More research is needed to see if someone has already done this (probably yes).
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Yeah, it's possible to get the WDTV to play ball with changing 'locations' - though the newer one is less hacker friendly. Problem is, you still need a full VPN it seems to get it to work.
I think they are more hacker friendly, my understanding is the newer firmwares are what allows you to chop and change regions which were originally were hardwired into the circuitry.

What I did is this:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archi...1604#r34464236

So my WDTV thinks it's in the UK and the Roku thinks it's in the US because I have that connected by ethernet into my old router which is running a sub-net, acting as a wireless booster for the front of my house where the signal is weak and uses the unblock-us DNS addresses.

So: Roku 3 for Netflix, Hulu+ Snagfilms, Vudu etc... and WDTV for BBC iPlayer and accessing my movies TV shows on the NAS.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 5:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by renth
So my WDTV thinks it's in the UK and the Roku thinks it's in the US because I have that connected by ethernet into my old router which is running a sub-net, acting as a wireless booster for the front of my house where the signal is weak and uses the unblock-us DNS addresses.

So: Roku 3 for Netflix, Hulu+ Snagfilms, Vudu etc... and WDTV for BBC iPlayer and accessing my movies TV shows on the NAS.
The benefit of the dynamically configured, local, static proxy, as described, would be that anything you directed via it would pick up the correct proxy address for iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, etc. - all you'd need to do is send the device via that static proxy.

Got to see if squid, or another proxy server, will take a PAC file as a config.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

For those interested in getting a WDTV, for say, iPlayer purposes - Officeworks have them on a $99 special at the moment :

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail...ers/WDBGXT0NBK