Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

exchange rate move or best u.k saving rate

exchange rate move or best u.k saving rate

Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: exchange rate move or best u.k saving rate

Originally Posted by brendarover
JAJ,

I have read some of your previous posts on this board, so your view does surprise me a weee bit?

But.............

In answer to your statement in bold above, well.........

If you have worked all your life in the UK, paid your mortgage, done a 60 hour week for years, watched your house in the UK rise in value, no speculation, it just went up like everyone elses. Then you decide to emigrate, so at the time of application, you do the sums. The house should sell at "x", we should recieve "y" at "z" exchange rate.

OK, you get for your house what someone is willing to pay, somewhere near what the lying barstweward estate agent said it would sell for. Lets say you are left with 150 grand in Sterling. Your lifes savings in monetry terms, you had done the maths on visa application at 2.5 to 1, all of a sudden when you book your flights two years later, its dropped to 1.7 to 1, like now.

This is a life changing sum of money, i do not care about it is as it is, its about Australia blah di blah! On arrival your job you have lined up pays $50,000.00 dollars a year gross.

On 150 grand sterling you have not lost, but the difference in the exchange rate from application to arrival is 0.8, and thats on 150 grand sterling, so it adds up to $120,000.00 dollars, nearly two and a half years gross income.

Now if that does not answer your question, well i am sorry, because like many, i would wait. Australia, is.........another country, but it ain't goin anywhere, and we all have to work. If waiting saves me working for two and a half years, well i am no rocket scientist, but my 10 year old niece could work this one out.
Agreed. I could have sold my shares when the FTSE bottomed out at about 3500. A lot of doomsdayers were telling me to get out while I could. Instead I used my common sense and decided to hang on as there had to be a recovery at some point. I had to wait 2 years but now things are healthier at 5200 ish. Same principal here.

All the 12 month currency graphs show that since October the £/AU$ level appears to have bottomed out at about 1.7-1.8. I didn't cash in my shares when the FTSE bottomed out and I'm not about to do that with my cash now at 1.7.

At the end of the day, I don't need to transfer the cash now so why not just wait. How long can you wait is the more pressing issue?

Last edited by 77hil; Feb 18th 2010 at 5:07 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:28 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Australian tax law says that foreign currency is a CGT asset:
http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht...7#108-5%281%29

So if nothing else, holding GBPs when a tax resident of Australia means you have a CGT asset which is taxed in the same manner as any other investment.

The forex rules overlay the CGT rules.

There are also various Private Binding Ruling extracts on the ATO website, such as:
http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content.as...tent/65872.htm

While I acknowledge that a Private Ruling is specific to the taxpayer that applied for it, I submit that those who are retaining GBPs in contemplation of an improvement in the number of AUDs they will receive may well have a tax exposure when they eventually sell £ and buy A$'s.

Agreed that these provisions may well be observed more in the breach than in the compliance, but I have yet to see any specific exemption in the tax code that some on this thread are suggesting exists.

Best regards.
Thanks,

But i am not convinced, not one bit, this would not stand up in a court of law, too many variables, which would be counter argumentitive in the law courts.

Then there is this footnote.

Note 2:
An asset is not a CGT asset if the asset was last acquired before 26 June 1992 and was not an asset for the purposes of former Part IIIA of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936: see section 108-5 of the Income Tax (Transitional Provisions) Act 1997.

You may have acquired you cash prior to 1992.

I actually physically asked the question to an ATO representitive, they said no such tax. For me that is enough, i have my visit and conversation documented, so i pay no tax. I move my money; if i do when i want to, so to suit my circumstances. The loopholes are all over the place, its the reason why the UK and the US have no such law for private forex transactions for individuals. Its just impossible to inforce and manage without a long and costly drawn out time in the courts.

Its a nice thought for such a small economy in need of capital asap, for lending and taxation local to Australia, they really need it, but no, myself will not be paying it, nor should i suggest anyone else should worry about it or pay it.

Regards.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=JAJ;8334541]

South Africans have had to get used to a chronically weak exchange rate since around 1985/86 and the same may be true for the United Kingdom going forward.

...quote]

You can say that again! Now we're in the UK and thought this was a strong currency. We have built up 'assets' here and now it's all gone pear shaped as well.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks,

But i am not convinced, not one bit, this would not stand up in a court of law, too many variables, which would be counter argumentitive in the law courts.

Note 2:
An asset is not a CGT asset if the asset was last acquired before 26 June 1992 and was not an asset for the purposes of former Part IIIA of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936: see section 108-5 of the Income Tax (Transitional Provisions) Act 1997.

I actually physically asked the question to an ATO representitive, they said no such tax. For me that is enough, i have my visit and conversation documented, so i pay no tax. I move my money; if i do when i want to, so to suit my circumstances. The loopholes are all over the place, its the reason why the UK and the US have no such law for private forex transactions for individuals. Its just impossible to inforce and manage without a long and costly drawn out time in the courts.

Its a nice thought for such a small economy in need of capital asap, for lending and taxation local to Australia, they really need it, but no, myself will not be paying it, nor should i suggest anyone else should worry about it or pay it.

Regards.
Very interesting thread and thanks for the trouble to share your meeting brendarover.

I feel you may be on the right track regarding taxing any gain as they appear to me not to not allow any tax relief if you make a loss on the exchange rate.

If as I understand it, they are (ATO) not interested in taxing you on any exchange rate gains, what have they said regarding the interest you receive from the money you leave in the UK?

Are they expecting the UK to tax that money and leave it at that or did they say they want a share of that too?

Regards
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:36 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Note 2:

Regards.
Methinks you are saying what you want to hear.

A verbalised conversation is not a sound basis if you find yourself subject to a tax audit. Apply for a Private Binding Ruling, and see what response you get - only by using that approach can you bind the tax office to a position insofar as the taxation of your income/capital gains (or not) is concerned.

For ease of reference: http://www.ato.gov.au/atp/content.as...tent/19463.htm

Best regards.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:40 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Very interesting thread and thanks for the trouble to share your meeting brendarover.

I feel you may be on the right track regarding taxing any gain as they appear to me not to not allow any tax relief if you make a loss on the exchange rate.

If as I understand it, they are (ATO) not interested in taxing you on any exchange rate gains, what have they said regarding the interest you receive from the money you leave in the UK?

Are they expecting the UK to tax that money and leave it at that or did they say they want a share of that too?

Regards
Losses on the disposal of non-A$ currency are allowable under the forex provisions. The key is to get yourself within those provisions.

Re UK source interest received: as a tax resident of Australia you are assessable on your worldwide income and capital gains - unless you can invoke the temporary tax resident provisions.

Note that you can claim any UK tax withheld on interest income as a foreign tax offset when including that same income on your Aussie tax return, and can apply to the UK bank or building society for UK interest to be paid gross if you are no longer ordinarily resident in the UK. Form R105 applies:
http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...jsp?formId=805

Best regards.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Losses on the disposal of non-A$ currency are allowable under the forex provisions. The key is to get yourself within those provisions.

Re UK source interest received: as a tax resident of Australia you are assessable on your worldwide income and capital gains - unless you can invoke the temporary tax resident provisions.

Note that you can claim any UK tax withheld on interest income as a foreign tax offset when including that same income on your Aussie tax return, and can apply to the UK bank or building society for UK interest to be paid gross if you are no longer ordinarily resident in the UK. Form R105 applies:
http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...jsp?formId=805

Best regards.
Thanks Alan, I had not figured asking for interest to be paid gross in the UK if the move to Oz comes off. Still not sure if I would leave any £s in the UK.

In the papers today they suggest UK interest rates could remain below 1% for the next 5 years.

Regards Les.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:39 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marks and Spencer have a good fixed rate "bond" (issue 9) which gives 4% interest. Bond lasts 4 years I believe (might be 3) and you can withdraw your cash at any time for a £100 withdrawal fee. I think this is one of the best account out there at the mo.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards.
You go for it mate... if you feel you can win in a battle against the ATO, or any other tax office for that matter, particularly if there are serious sums involved then you have my best wishes.... but I won't be chipping into any charitable fund, set up on your behalf, to help you out after ATO have finished squeezing your pips.

You don't seriously believe that the ATO wouldn't wage all out war on any case that had the potential to cost them millions in the long run do you?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No 15
Marks and Spencer have a good fixed rate "bond" (issue 9) which gives 4% interest. Bond lasts 4 years I believe (might be 3) and you can withdraw your cash at any time for a £100 withdrawal fee. I think this is one of the best account out there at the mo.
Had seen this and against the current 3% easy access accounts it would work if you have over £20,000 left for more than a year.

It is one of the few fixed rate bonds with a reasonable get out clause, it is a 3 year bond.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You go for it mate... if you feel you can win in a battle against the ATO, or any other tax office for that matter, particularly if there are serious sums involved then you have my best wishes.... but I won't be chipping into any charitable fund, set up on your behalf, to help you out after ATO have finished squeezing your pips.

You don't seriously believe that the ATO wouldn't wage all out war on any case that had the potential to cost them millions in the long run do you?
Cost them millions? In fact, if they decided to exempt foreign exchange gains and losses completely it would cost nothing in the long term because losses are as likely as gains.

Unclear why Australia chooses to set its system up this way but for large corporations, calculating tax on foreign exchange movements is one of the most complex tax compliance activities and the number of people in the ATO who understand the detail is not high. The answer can be favorable to the corporation or the ATO.

It's not the same as foreign interest, dividends and rentals where it is straightforward to calculate, there's almost always something due to the ATO.

In fact, if the British government doesn't sort out the UK deficits fairly quickly the only way sterling is likely to go is downwards. Hence my comments questioning the assumption that the sterling/AUD rate is likely to recover. It may not. One should ask why Australians are not looking to buy sterling if the exchange rate is really so good.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:56 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

I have to just read this type of post and realise the quality of financial content on this site at times is much the same as the Beano. Go back to your comics pal, you seriously believe i read this cr@p and take note without any kind of effort or research to back up such a stupid statement on your part?

Read the thread, you might get some answers, at least i can back up my posts with research in a real physical sense. I even give you the address and phone number.

I have to sometimes remind myself that it is human nature for many to want to inflict as much financial pain on another human fellow. Envy, greed, the monster with green eyes? Why is that, why do posters on this board get so much enjoyment trying to scare other posters with such nonsense. You really are some kind of sad nonse!

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:59 am
Migration Agent

Play the man and not the ball ... that's very constructive.

Best regards.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:17 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to just read this type of post and realise the quality of financial content on this site at times is much the same as the Beano. Go back to your comics pal, you seriously believe i read this cr@p and take note without any kind of effort or research to back up such a stupid statement on your part?

Read the thread, you might get some answers, at least i can back up my posts with research in a real physical sense. I even give you the address and phone number.

I have to sometimes remind myself that it is human nature for many to want to inflict as much financial pain on another human fellow. Envy, greed, the monster with green eyes? Why is that, why do posters on this board get so much enjoyment trying to scare other posters with such nonsense. You really are some kind of sad nonse!

Brilliant. Love it. A 'sad nonse' for suggesting that the ATO would come after you for any tax they think you owe them.... ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

What do you think they would do... just laugh it off?. They never laughed at Paul Hogan.

Seriously, why do you think I even care how much money you make/lose from any transaction?... I don't know you... I'm unlikely to ever know you... and really have no interest in your finances.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unclear why anyone would want to speculate on a foreign currency (sterling) if your future is in Australia.
Maybe because UK property market is looking attractive when you consider the triple whammy of: low interest rates, fallen prices, weak pound. Whereas Australian property appears overinflated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.