Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Every Bus Sheleter in Ocean Reef Smashed Up

Every Bus Sheleter in Ocean Reef Smashed Up

Old May 9th 2006, 8:42 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Every Bus Sheleter in Ocean Reef Smashed Up

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
As said I was really angry and I couldnt believe it.
I felt if in the U.K and I said " sorry I din`t see you" most people would let it go even if hacked off.
Again the same shit happens in the U.K and people are people.
BTW I find Birmingham and its peolpe very friendly and have been out on a night out there and it was great.
It's a ridiculous over reaction isn't it! Can't believe he spoke like that in front of your kids too there's just no need for it.

Ooh you can have some great nights out in Brum, it's got a fantastic music scene
Old May 9th 2006, 8:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Every Bus Sheleter in Ocean Reef Smashed Up

Originally Posted by Clippies
Oh Vash, I do wish you wouldn't keep slating my home town! There really are some lovely parts of Walsall and Birmingham - there are some shite holes too but you always make it sound so horrific. Birmingham has history dating back to the Bronze Age - I admit not everyone looks after it as well as I should but this is the case in most places.
I did actually point out that Walsall and Birmingham both have some lovely parts - there's just not enough of them!

I do like the Bullring, I love the Victorian architecture and I think the ICC is fantastic.

Yes, the area upon which Birmingham was built does indeed have history going back to the Bronze Age, but Birmingham itself has only existed as a city since 1730; hence the lack of history and culture.

Anyway, the Australian Aborigines have history dating back 30,000 years, but how many British people pay any attention to this fact? All we get is jokes about tubs of yoghurt.

Personally, I think the Bull Ring is fantastic, and the regeneration of that part of Birmingham has been brilliant.
Yes, it's a great start.

Most of the council towerblocks have been destroyed now and most of Birmingham centre is pedestrianised.
I agree that the centre of Birmingham is pretty well pedestrianised, but if "most" of the tower blocks have been demolished, I shudder to think how many you had in the first place!

They're a hideous eyesore, and they absolutely dominate the landscape; no matter which side you approach the city from, you can't possibly miss them.

Walsall has it's bad sides sure (the bloody chewing gum on the high street for a start - what's all that about ) but it really isn't as bad a place as you make out. Although I do agree that it does need regeneration.
I didn't think I was that harsh, actually; all I said was that it's mismanaged by the local council, and lacking in culture and history. I also said that it has some really nice features which would benefit from some proper care.

I do have a soft spot for it myself, due to the Arboretum and some of the older architecture - but that doesn't make me want to hang around in the high street.

I think a lot of today's youth have no respect whatsoever for their surroundings and it is they that bring it down. I think Birmingham has come very far in the past few years and I shall always be proud to be a Brummie (technically a yam yam seeing as I pay my Council Tax to Walsall )
I agree.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 9th 2006 at 8:48 pm.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

It's a ridiculous over reaction isn't it! Can't believe he spoke like that in front of your kids too there's just no need for it.

Ooh you can have some great nights out in Brum, it's got a fantastic music scene
We went to Broad Street and surrounds in 1999 and went to some clubs/bars and the atmosphere was good and the people friendly.
Also went for an amazing balti and was suprise that some of the restaurants are bring your own which we did see in Perth quite a bit.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I did actually point out that Walsall and Birmingham both have some lovely parts - there's just not enough of them!

I do like the Bullring, I love the Victorian architecture and I think the ICC is fantastic.

Yes, the area upon which Birmingham was built does indeed have history going back to the Bronze Age, but Birmingham itself has only existed as a city since 1730; hence the lack of history and culture.

Anyway, the Australian Aborigines have history dating back 30,000 years, but how many British people pay any attention to this fact? All we get is jokes about tubs of yoghurt.

Yes, it's a great start.

I agree that the centre of Birmingham is pretty well pedestrianised, but if "most" of the tower blocks have been demolished, I shudder to think how many you had in the first place!

They're a hideous eyesore, and they absolutely dominate the landscape; no matter which side you approach the city from, you can't possibly miss them.

I didn't think I was that harsh, actually; all I said was that it's mismanaged by the local council, and lacking in culture and history. I also said that it has some really nice features which would benefit from some proper care.

I do have a soft spot for it myself, due to the Arboretum and some of the older architecture - but that doesn't make me want to hang around in the high street.

I agree.

Hi Vash.

Whats with the tubs of yoghurt thing ?
Old May 9th 2006, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vash.

Yoghurt - apparantly the only thing in Oz with culture.

Do you get it
Old May 9th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WendyC
Yoghurt - apparantly the only thing in Oz with culture.

Do you get it
Hi Wendy- very much so now - cheers James.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Every Bus Sheleter in Ocean Reef Smashed Up

Hi Vash.

I refer you to the answer given previously by the Honourable Member.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:07 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's a great start.

I agree
As a City yes, but it was a Town way before then - I really think we'll have to disagree on the lack of culture and history bit, I'm not really sure what you mean when you say there is a lack of it. I've always thought Birmingham was quite rich in it's culture and history. I'm not even trying to compare it to anywhere else - I just mean in it's own right.

Lol, Birmingham used to have a lot of tower blocks - actually I've just checked, there used to be 315 to be precise :scared: complete eyesores and breeding grounds for trouble imo. It has turned itself around though and really has got a new look. Not quite there yet but oh so much better.

To be honest Vash, I've reread your post and I probably was just being oversensitive - I read a lot of your posts and you do tend to have the odd dig at the Midlands and it does niggle me. As I'm sure it would you if it were the other way around - I just felt a need to defend my home I think. Also I'm not one for slating other areas and if you ever see me doing it when I'm in Perth feel free to verbally slap me

Oh, and unfortunately my days of hanging around the high street are well and truly over
Old May 9th 2006, 9:10 pm

We went to Broad Street and surrounds in 1999 and went to some clubs/bars and the atmosphere was good and the people friendly.
Also went for an amazing balti and was suprise that some of the restaurants are bring your own which we did see in Perth quite a bit.
What, a bring your own in Brum! Walsall yes, but I didn't know there were any in Brum - mind you by the time I get to a Balti I'm usually ready to drink water

1999, wow it's changed so much since then - if you ever get a chance again, pay the Bullring a visit, it's fab!!
Old May 9th 2006, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

What, a bring your own in Brum! Walsall yes, but I didn't know there were any in Brum - mind you by the time I get to a Balti I'm usually ready to drink water

1999, wow it's changed so much since then - if you ever get a chance again, pay the Bullring a visit, it's fab!!
I remember in the 80`s at school the Bullring was talked about and we had days out there (day 10 at Stantonbury Campus for any locals reading).It seemed to decline and again now it seems big again.
Oh we were pretty wasted and we got in a taxi with our friends to the balti house (who were locals) so it could have been anywhere
Old May 9th 2006, 9:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Every Bus Sheleter in Ocean Reef Smashed Up

As a City yes, but it was a Town way before then - I really think we'll have to disagree on the lack of culture and history bit, I'm not really sure what you mean when you say there is a lack of it. I've always thought Birmingham was quite rich in it's culture and history. I'm not even trying to compare it to anywhere else - I just mean in it's own right.
Fair enough; I just don't think there's much to distinguish it from other post-industrial cities in Britain.

But I do love those gorgeous red brick buildings from the early 20th Century, and Birmingham still has some stunning examples of Victorian architecture!

Lol, Birmingham used to have a lot of tower blocks - actually I've just checked, there used to be 315 to be precise :scared: complete eyesores and breeding grounds for trouble imo. It has turned itself around though and really has got a new look. Not quite there yet but oh so much better.
Bloody hell, three hundred and fifteen!? Where did they put them all?

To be honest Vash, I've reread your post and I probably was just being oversensitive - I read a lot of your posts and you do tend to have the odd dig at the Midlands and it does niggle me. As I'm sure it would you if it were the other way around - I just felt a need to defend my home I think. Also I'm not one for slating other areas and if you ever see me doing it when I'm in Perth feel free to verbally slap me
Sure thing, fair play to you mate. Sorry if I came across too strong.

Ironically, I've realised that my opinion of Birmingham and Walsall was much more positive during my first year in the UK. I think this is because I am well and truly out of the honeymoon period; having lived here for nearly two and a half years, I now pick up on all the negative points that I didn't really notice before.

It's always different when you're living permanently in a single town, rather than visiting it on a regular or semi-regular basis.

I remember defending Walsall and Birmingham quite vigorously during 2004, when talking to Londoners - but these days I tend to agree with some of their criticisms!

What can I say... familiarity breeds contempt, I suppose. And of course, I know this place will never be "home" to me, so I'm unlikely to develop an emotional bond with it.

Oh, and unfortunately my days of hanging around the high street are well and truly over
I don't blame you!
Old May 9th 2006, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

I just got the address book out as it was bugging the life out of me and they actually lived at Baldwins Lane, Hall Green.
Like many other people we simply lost touch and often think about them, it must be the same when moving to Oz. You must have to put an awful lot of effort into keeping in touch with people in the U.K just based on the time difference alone.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:26 pm

I remember in the 80`s at school the Bullring was talked about and we had days out there (day 10 at Stantonbury Campus for any locals reading).It seemed to decline and again now it seems big again.
Oh we were pretty wasted and we got in a taxi with our friends to the balti house (who were locals) so it could have been anywhere
Oh god it's completely changed! It's had £500 million revamp! Selfridges building is just bizarre.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Oh god it's completely changed! It's had £500 million revamp! Selfridges building is just bizarre.
I will have to look at it before/if I get into Oz.
There has been a lot of talk in the last few years about Birmingham and it seems to be well and truly on the map in terms of a happening city.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:39 pm

Bloody hell, three hundred and fifteen!? Where did they put them all?
Lol, inner city - thankfully I've never lived anywhere near a tower block!

Sure thing, fair play to you mate. Sorry if I came across too strong.

Ironically, I've realised that my opinion of Birmingham and Walsall was much more positive during my first year in the UK. I think this is because I am well and truly out of the honeymoon period; having lived here for nearly two and a half years, I now pick up on all the negative points that I didn't really notice before.

It's always different when you're living permanently in a single town, rather than visiting it on a regular or semi-regular basis.

I remember defending Walsall and Birmingham quite vigorously during 2004, when talking to Londoners - but these days I tend to agree with some of their criticisms!

What can I say... familiarity breeds contempt, I suppose. And of course, I know this place will never be "home" to me, so I'm unlikely to develop an emotional bond with it.
I think it's 3 phase, I think there's the honeymoon period, then the part where the bad points get to you, then you get over all that and accept it and come to love it after some time. I think this is the way it would be wherever you live/move to but I've not moved around much and it's all just theory with no practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.