Evening life

Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Perhaps badgers is just winding people up.

I mean what would happen to the average pommie immie, if they turned up at a party after 3 days, flanno shirt, thongs, OZ accent, ute, slab of aussie beer, hat with corks on. Come on, most would get kicked down the driveway, or punched in the mouth Aussies dont like people taking the piss out of them.

Badge is having a bit of a laugh winding everyone up, just hope nobody rocks up at a Bikie Party in Perth acting like that :scared:
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:15 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
don't you mean dislike?

I used a double negative - couldn't not like

I should probably have used not dislike, i read it back twice and thought it sounded right but you know how it goes when your posting whilst cooking tea. Oh no you wouldn't would you
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I used a double negative - couldn't not like

I should probably have used not dislike, i read it back twice and thought it sounded right but you know how it goes when your posting whilst cooking tea. Oh no you wouldn't would you
Trying to imagine you crammed in the back of the van on the road cooking and posting through the satellite dish as pots and pans fall all around : ) )
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:21 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Evening life

Originally posted by badgersmount
A good time was had by all. Watched the Sky UK News and thought ' bloody hell these Poms sound pompous!'. They were talking for 15 mins about student fees and I still haven't understood the crux of the argument this time around! Something about 15K or something. The Aussie News keeps things nice and simple and the pollies and newsreaders just keep discussions quick and easy. None of this long rah-rah and shouting to the camera like in UK.

I maen saying that Aussie news is good and the UK version is pants????? I mean come on, next you,ll be claiming the TV in general is better, take off those blinkers.
I didn't get the impression that BM was saying the UK news version is pants and the Aussie version is good....I think that we just don't need so much news. I must admit that sometimes I think we can overanalyse news in the UK - we are getting like the U.S IMO. If you want more indepth news from the average Aussie news then, like someone said, there is always BBC World Service.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:22 am
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know who badger is.

I think that people slag off the UK because it makes them feel better about the move. They are just trying to convince themselves that they made the right decision. If they have nagging doubts then of course they will take the opportunity to bash the UK.

The other reason I think is:

Q: How do you integrate with a new culture?
A: Slag off your old one.

So by laughing with Aussies at the poor pommes they feel that they will integrate quicker.

As for me and the wife - we are not leaving britain, we are going to Australia. Push vs Pull. Pull is ALWAYS the better and more satisfying motive for doing anything.

Finally two things that the UK is famous globally for are:

Our news service.
Our supermarkets.

Both are considered the best in the world, and are the model for most other countries - including America even.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dazuk
I maen saying that Aussie news is good and the UK version is pants????? I mean come on, next you,ll be claiming the TV in general is better, take off those blinkers.
He obviously thinks it is, at this moment in time, and therefore has a right to say it.
He is also not 'acting' Aussie (I believe), but is just that type.
I also cannot see where Badgers slates of the UK at every oppertunity. Please come up with evidence, and then compare it to all posts about the UK and Badgers total post count.

So tell me when someone reaches this elevated position of Demi-God on this forum are all other members expected to show some kind of respect no matter what controversial item is posted? Should posters bow in awe because of some other member’s history of popular posts and huge sycophantic following, (Badges appreciation thread) which could possibly be leading to an over inflated ego? Okay some folk have met through various ‘meets’ which I think are a great idea, but come on can some of you really justify this form of hero worship (okay its only a bit of fun?) when in reality you know so little about anyone – get a grip!
Yes, you can show some respect, and should do to all. And I don't think there's anything controversial in Badgers posts.
Of course you have the right to disagree, but we also have the right to defend someone (who isn't online enough to do it himselve, if he feels the need) against what I believe are unfair comments.

Not sure what you mean by hero worshipping, but that thread was part joke/part defence/part whatever.
And if you are on here as often as some of us, then you do get to know more about people.
It's all about communication. It's difficult saying what you mean in posts, but the more posts you read, the more you write, the better you understand where people are coming from.

Nobody is semi-god on here (especially not to me). There are a few with whom I agree on nearly every subject, but there are always things we'll think differently about.

A members history is not about popular posts, or the followers, but the content. Unfortunetly it is nearly impossible to read it all, it's so much.

I also agree with Jirrupin on this, as I do with nearly everything she says
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:34 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cutgrass
I don't know who badger is.

I think that people slag off the UK because it makes them feel better about the move. They are just trying to convince themselves that they made the right decision. If they have nagging doubts then of course they will take the opportunity to bash the UK.

The other reason I think is:

Q: How do you integrate with a new culture?
A: Slag off your old one.

So by laughing with Aussies at the poor pommes they feel that they will integrate quicker.

As for me and the wife - we are not leaving britain, we are going to Australia. Push vs Pull. Pull is ALWAYS the better and more satisfying motive for doing anything.
As you don't know badgers and I do a bit more I would say he is also going because of Pull.

We are also going like that, and I agree with you that that is ALWAYS better!

You could be right about the slagging of reason, but I think that of course there are some who really do feel Oz is better on that particular subject (not just slagging of for the sake of it I mean).
I don't think Badge is having any doubts, and I doubt that he ever will, though you really never know!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In past discussions I've had with the black'n'white furry one, we have both come to the conclusion that its not so much a case of hating the UK, or wanting to "slag it off." Its more a case that we prefer the Aussie way of life, and the Aussie way of thinking. He's too down to earth to get an over-onflated ego, and when the thread started in his honour I bet he was just laughing his thongs off!! As Jirrupin says, "he is sincere in his own naivety."- excellent way of describing him. If you ever get the chance to meet him Jirrupin, I think you'd get on famously!!

Pleeease Badger - I hope you turn up on The Big Day in your ute, wearing thongs - and clutching at least one slab of whatever beer you desire! If you don't, you won't be the Badger I remember - totally you, and totally genuine!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't all of us still in the UK like to be in Badgers shoes ..er.. thongs??

I would rather be having a laugh with new and old friends at parties, celebrating being there in Australia than still be stuck in UK, glued to this computer, dreaming of how things are going to be!

Good luck to you Badge, I know nothing of your 'history', all I hear is a fella having a good time and soaking everything up. I, for one, won't be giving a toss about university fees in the UK either when I get there.

Envious? I certainly am.

sandy
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:46 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CHnJ
Trying to imagine you crammed in the back of the van on the road cooking and posting through the satellite dish as pots and pans fall all around : ) )
Only a week to go until we are off in the van. Sadly no satellite dish in sight. Just connected the gas up today, now we only have some awning and mosquito nets to get and we are ready for the off.

If there is a way to post from the van we will find it, probably have to keep some record on disc and post when we get to an internet cafe.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:55 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
In past discussions I've had with the black'n'white furry one, we have both come to the conclusion that its not so much a case of hating the UK, or wanting to "slag it off." Its more a case that we prefer the Aussie way of life, and the Aussie way of thinking. He's too down to earth to get an over-onflated ego, and when the thread started in his honour I bet he was just laughing his thongs off!! As Jirrupin says, "he is sincere in his own naivety."- excellent way of describing him. If you ever get the chance to meet him Jirrupin, I think you'd get on famously!!

Count me in on that one too. I much prefer the aussie way of life. You know how people say that you can't choose your family? Well it's the same with your place of birth - you can't choose where you are born, but you can change where you decide to live. Some people are just not born in the *right* place and are better off elsewhere. I think Badge is one of these, as are others on this forum.

Badge would be the first to admit that he likes to wind people up a bit and some of his posts are a little bit tongue in cheek. But he also offers sensible and useful advice, as well as cheering some of us up with his posts.

As for defending himself, just you wait. He'll be back...

Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:56 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Bloody hell - I am glad Badge is having a such a good time in Aussie and being accepted for who he is out there because the poor bloke can't do anything right on this forum of late.

If I was him I'd be saying b******s to 'em about now - but then I am a miserable old cow and Badge is of a more generous nature than I.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:19 am
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't having a go at badger. Like I said - I don't know him/her.

The thread appeared to be going the way of 'why do people have a go at the UK' so I was really responding to that (cos I'm sick of brit bashing and someone has to stand up for my family).

I probably went off-thread. Sorry.

I've told my Aussy mates that I'm not migrating, I'm invading.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:23 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I like that - can I steal it?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:29 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

I wasn't having a go at badger. Like I said - I don't know him/her.

The thread appeared to be going the way of 'why do people have a go at the UK' so I was really responding to that (cos I'm sick of brit bashing and someone has to stand up for my family).

I probably went off-thread. Sorry.

Hi cutgrass,
I'm pretty sure the above posts are mainly aimed at dazuk and the other one, not you.
And the threads here go off-topic ALL the time, which I think isn't that bad usually.
There is sometimes a lot of threads started about the same thing, which is a bit of a shame, but that doesn't really matter either.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.