Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Entering the UK with expired UK passports?

Entering the UK with expired UK passports?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:49 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Entering the UK with expired UK passports?

Originally Posted by fraser
We all need Aussie passports, both of our kids UK ones will have expired can they enter as British citizens on their expired ones.
No airline will permit you to board with an expired passport. They will be heavily fined by the county that you land in for doing so. I think the fine is about £10,000 per person.

Many countries have now introduced advanced passenger information systems where all passenger details have to be submitted to the destination and transit ccountriesat least 24 hours before travelling and they would be rrejected

I certainly wouldn't want to arrive in Singapore or Dubai with an expired passport even though they are children they would be held in the airport police station and sent back to the country from where they ttravelledfrom.

I seriously would not even consider it. Can you not get emergency UK passports issued by the UK Embassy or CConsulatein OZ?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:24 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
No airline will permit you to board with an expired passport. They will be heavily fined by the county that you land in for doing so. I think the fine is about £10,000 per person.

Many countries have now introduced advanced passenger information systems where all passenger details have to be submitted to the destination and transit ccountriesat least 24 hours before travelling and they would be rrejected

I certainly wouldn't want to arrive in Singapore or Dubai with an expired passport even though they are children they would be held in the airport police station and sent back to the country from where they ttravelledfrom.

I seriously would not even consider it. Can you not get emergency UK passports issued by the UK Embassy or CConsulatein OZ?
I'm not considering it, we'd be leaving on Aussie passports
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice
Exclamation Re: Entering the UK with expired UK passports?

This is a good question and the answer is to be flexible so you can go to either EU or non-EU.

Bring the expired passport and any UK citizen registration with you and choose the shortest of the EU or non-EU lines (remembering that the EU one moves more quickly). Between 6 am and 9 am the non-EU can be 90 minutes waiting time at Terminal 3 Heathrow, Terminal 4 is much shorter (non-EU typically 30 minutes, EU typically 15 minutes, and I have had (fortunately?) no experience of Terminal 5.

In a family with mixed passports you are normally let through on the EU line if the landing forms are ready, even with an expired British Passport as evidence of UK Citizenship as long as you present the valid Oz passport as well. An expired British Passport is not a bar to entry but a valid one just facilitates things.

If the non-EU line is shorter take that one and just present Oz passports.
That one will be shorter on most European flights (if you had changed at Frankfurt for example) and BA flights (hence why landing at Terminal 4 on a BA longhaul is good).

If you are unlucky enough to arrive at the same time as a Air India flights or Thai or Korean or US flights at Terminal 3 between 6am and 9am expect to wait over an hour in the non-EU line.

In short change planes some where in mainland Europe and arrive in the middle of the day and you will be quick in either line so the passport will not matter.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:50 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

So we're changing in Helsinki and arriving at 5.30pm so we should be ok.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice

Should be easy for you as I assuming you are flying from Singapore to Helsinki (SIN to HEL!) and if Finnair from HEL to LHR will arrive at Terminal 1 which will be easy. It is a quick connection at HEL, and even though 5:30 pm is getting a little busy again you will be OK, either EU or non-EU at Terminal 1. Incidently Asiana airlines from Sydney via Seoul are good and cheap as well and come in to Terminal 1- easy!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:19 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need six Passports ?? There is only 4 of you aren't there ??
Just get 4 Australian Passports....you have become Aussie Citizens haven't you?
I travelled to the UK, and home again on my Australian Passport ...no Visa needed to go to UK.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:43 pm

We're flying from Hong Kong to Helsinki with Finnair and to London with BA but our flight schedule said we were landing at terminal 3 which can't be right as BA don't land there, do they?

I've just checked it's a code share with BA but operated by Finnair.

We don't want to enter as Aussies because we're British and want all the rights that go with it, we're not entitled to the same if we enter on an Aussie passport.

The kids don't have UK ones so we'll probably have to queue with the convicts and other riff raff

Last edited by fraser; Jul 14th 2008 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

Sorry to intrude on someone elses post but it is on topic and it has been one of my questions.
We arrive soon in Australia on a PR visa, do I renew the childrens and our own passports from Australia when they expire? Is this a costly process and any hassle. Also some people have said to notify the passport office about change of address but we are keeping our U.K house and still using that for the odd letter so I was not going to bother.

Thanks James
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi all.

Sorry to intrude on someone elses post but it is on topic and it has been one of my questions.
We arrive soon in Australia on a PR visa, do I renew the childrens and our own passports from Australia when they expire? Is this a costly process and any hassle. Also some people have said to notify the passport office about change of address but we are keeping our U.K house and still using that for the odd letter so I was not going to bother.

Thanks James
Hello James, intrude away mate.

Getting passports from here is expensive about twice that which it is in the UK, also you will need somebody to sign it who has known you for two years which isn't always easy.

If they only have a short while do them now.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello James, intrude away mate.

Getting passports from here is expensive about twice that which it is in the UK, also you will need somebody to sign it who has known you for two years which isn't always easy.

If they only have a short while do them now.
Cheers for that Fraser
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:06 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that I meant enter on a British passport, I don't want to enter as a bloody convict
I was always under the impression that if you were a UK citizen you had to enter the UK on your UK passport... (I've emailed the question to the home office!)
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:46 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't want to enter as Aussies because we're British and want all the rights that go with it, we're not entitled to the same if we enter on an Aussie passport.

The kids don't have UK ones so we'll probably have to queue with the convicts and other riff raff

What are you talking about? Are you going back for good? If it is just a holiday what things are you expecting to receive that give you additional rights over an Australian tourist?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:58 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
What are you talking about? Are you going back for good? If it is just a holiday what things are you expecting to receive that give you additional rights over an Australian tourist?
thats what I want to know? I presume your going back for good but what rights are you talking about Fraser? You have dual citizenship, unlike some countries you dont give up your British Citizenship when you aquire Australian Citizenship
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:21 pm

No we're just going back for a holiday but I read somewhere that if we entered on an Australian passport we would be regaurded as Australian when it came to getting medical care etc. Or if something happened and we had to stay longer we wouldn't be entitled to work as we'd only have a tourist visa.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:35 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

No we're just going back for a holiday but I read somewhere that if we entered on an Australian passport we would be regaurded as Australian when it came to getting medical care etc. Or if something happened and we had to stay longer we wouldn't be entitled to work as we'd only have a tourist visa.
I think you could be right... A friend back in the UK has dual nationality, as does his children, and when his daughter accidentally went through the channel tunnel with only her Australian passport it caused her all sorts of problems...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.