Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Enrolled nurses APHRA

Enrolled nurses APHRA

Old Aug 8th 2015, 11:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolled nurses APHRA

Originally Posted by Sheryl_uk
Sorry I meant sponsor visa ha. Yeah I'm 36 so the working holiday visa is out
If you don't have an Aussie OH tucked away, can you upgrade to a degree in the UK?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Sheryl_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah but it would take a year and can't afford to the bridging course as it's very expensive. My partner turns 31 soon and was hoping to go on his WHV if I got a visa. He could apply for a 457 is he is socila worker but that way all costs more money if I go on his visa
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:06 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but it would take a year and can't afford to the bridging course as it's very expensive. My partner turns 31 soon and was hoping to go on his WHV if I got a visa. He could apply for a 457 is he is socila worker but that way all costs more money if I go on his visa
I think the two of you need to get some sensible visa advice from a MARA agent - try someone like TeeTMI who posts on here in the visas section most often - or Alan Collett or George Lombard or even just check the MARA register. Also, have a good read of all the visa requirements on DIBP's website - Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection - it is cheaper to be a partner on your OH's visa than to get one in your own right. But you will still face issues in Australia - sure some of the nurses on here can tell you how the work situation would be for an enrolled nurse.

Sorry EDIT to add - you can't go on your partner's WHV but you could go on their skills visa if they got one

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 8th 2015 at 12:09 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

APHRA is different from the visa. I have spoken with APHRA and many other international nurses at diploma level and you can register as an enrolled nurse, but not a Registerrd nurse. They're two different things.
Many diploma qualified nurses are indeed registered with AHPRA.But things change.......

.... and last year they changed the rules and they will now NOT issue registration to international applicants without a nursing degree. A diploma is not sufficient. A top up course would ve needed and they aren't cheap. So even if you came as a de facto with your partner on a 457, you still cannot register without paying out for extra courses.

And even if you qualify for a Skills visa otherwise, ANMAC will now not issue skills assessments to nurses that AHPRA will not register.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Sheryl_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

So why on earth are APHRA still accepting and assessing international nurses with a diploma to work as an enrolled nurse?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 4:14 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

So why on earth are APHRA still accepting and assessing international nurses with a diploma to work as an enrolled nurse?
Because they could have an existing visa (i.e. partner, dependent on skilled visa, trained overseas but Australian) that otherwise enables them to work in Australia.