Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Oz when 50

Emigrating to Oz when 50

Old May 24th 2017, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

DEBORAHJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Oz when 50

Please can someone offer advice. I desperatly want to emigrate to Oz to be near my sister but am finding the visas totally confusing. I have just turned 50 and think i have no options available.
Old May 24th 2017, 3:12 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Oz when 50

Originally Posted by DEBORAHJ
Please can someone offer advice. I desperatly want to emigrate to Oz to be near my sister but am finding the visas totally confusing. I have just turned 50 and think i have no options available.
It is sad but not everyone who wants to emigrate is able to. Depending on your occupation, you may be able to get a temporary work visa but you may have to settle for visiting only.
Old May 24th 2017, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It is sad but not everyone who wants to emigrate is able to. Depending on your occupation, you may be able to get a temporary work visa but you may have to settle for visiting only.
What about family sponsorship ?

Australian Family Sponsored Visa Application Process

The Skilled - Sponsored Visa (Provisional) (subclass 489) is based on a three stage application process:
  • Stage 1

The first stage of the application process involves completing a skills assessment with the relevant government body. Your skills assessment enables the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to judge if you have the required level of skill in your chosen occupation to practice in Australia.
  • Stage 2

Once you have received a positive skills assessment, you will need to submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia. You will then also need to apply for family sponsorship with your Australian relative. This will require that they meet the sponsorship requirements and live in a Designated Area of Australia.
  • Stage 3Once you have been issued an Invitation To Apply (ITA), you can continue to the DIBP stage of the application, where you can submit your final, complete application to be approved by DIBP so your visa can be granted. Priority processing arrangements apply to this visa. They determine the order in which the department considers applications regardless of when they have been lodged.
Old May 24th 2017, 4:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013

The Skilled - Sponsored Visa (Provisional) (subclass 489) is based on a three stage application process:
  • Stage 1

The first stage of the application process involves completing a skills assessment with the relevant government body. Your skills assessment enables the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to judge if you have the required level of skill in your chosen occupation to practice in Australia.
  • Stage 2

Once you have received a positive skills assessment, you will need to submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia. You will then also need to apply for family sponsorship with your Australian relative. This will require that they meet the sponsorship requirements and live in a Designated Area of Australia.
  • Stage 3Once you have been issued an Invitation To Apply (ITA), you can continue to the DIBP stage of the application, where you can submit your final, complete application to be approved by DIBP so your visa can be granted. Priority processing arrangements apply to this visa. They determine the order in which the department considers applications regardless of when they have been lodged.
The OP wouldn't be eligible for this visa, see conditions below:

Invited Pathway

You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited and you are either:
•nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency, or
•sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.

When we sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:
•been nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
•nominated an occupation that is on the list of eligible skilled occupations
•a suitable skills assessment for that occupation,
•not yet turned 50 years of age
•achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
•at least competent English.

Your invitation is based on the claims made in your expression of interest. Your application must achieve at least the score specified in your invitation to apply when assessed against the points test.
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-...#tab-content-0
Old May 24th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

What is your occupation?
Old May 24th 2017, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Thank you for advice. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old May 24th 2017, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
What is your occupation?
I am a qualified teacher which i was doing at a local college until recently but I am now back in an office as a management accountant as education is not a secure job anymore.
Old May 24th 2017, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013

• Stage 1

• Stage 2

I don't think I qualify for family sponsorship because of my age again😣
Old May 25th 2017, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

You could try Visa Subclass 188, for what it's worth... apparently, no upper age limit there.
Old May 25th 2017, 3:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
You could try Visa Subclass 188, for what it's worth... apparently, no upper age limit there.
Where has the OP stated that she is eligible for this? I'm not seeing that she's owned a business for the last 2/4 years.
Old May 25th 2017, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Where has the OP stated that she is eligible for this? I'm not seeing that she's owned a business for the last 2/4 years.
Oops. I only read the OP's first post. I didn't catch the part where she stated her occupation. My apologies!

Having said that, a Visa 188 Significant Investor route only requires the investment, not quite any business background (unless I misread the convoluted rules & regulations again!)
Old May 25th 2017, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am a qualified teacher which i was doing at a local college until recently but I am now back in an office as a management accountant as education is not a secure job anymore.
You could attempt to apply for jobs and see if anyone is willing to sponsor you. However, this would only be a 457 visa which would be temporary for up to 4 years. However, not only would this be pretty hard as Australia is over supplied with accountants, but to stay beyond the 4 years you would need them to agree to sponsor a permanent visa after 4 years and during which you earned a minimum of $138,000 as that is the criteria for sponsoring people aged over 50.
Old May 25th 2017, 8:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
Oops. I only read the OP's first post. I didn't catch the part where she stated her occupation. My apologies!

Having said that, a Visa 188 Significant Investor route only requires the investment, not quite any business background (unless I misread the convoluted rules & regulations again!)
Part of the visa is a proven track record of business related activity http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/188-

Last edited by Dorothy; May 25th 2017 at 8:08 am.
Old May 25th 2017, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
You could attempt to apply for jobs and see if anyone is willing to sponsor you. However, this would only be a 457 visa which would be temporary for up to 4 years. However, not only would this be pretty hard as Australia is over supplied with accountants, but to stay beyond the 4 years you would need them to agree to sponsor a permanent visa after 4 years and during which you earned a minimum of $138,000 as that is the criteria for sponsoring people aged over 50.
Is the $138000 the total for 4 years or each. I am alsi a qualified teacher is this a better option?
Old May 25th 2017, 8:10 am
Still alive

Is the $138000 the total for 4 years or each. I am alsi a qualified teacher is this a better option?
Each year. And teaching will be even harder to get sponsorship for unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.