Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrician emigrating

Electrician emigrating

Old Aug 8th 2004, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future
Default Electrician emigrating

Another spark looking at a move to sunnier climbs, has anyone any reference or TRA tips, I am just starting out.

Cheers or Gday
Old Aug 9th 2004, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Electrician emigrating

Originally Posted by Thrud
Another spark looking at a move to sunnier climbs, has anyone any reference or TRA tips, I am just starting out.

Cheers or Gday

I'd say dont be taken in by people who say you wont have any problem in Oz being an electrician. Reality is if you get your visa you still have to get an electrical licence when you arrive in Australia. You cant just get a job straight away, Australia doesnt allow you to apply for that licence until you arrive in Oz

As far as your application goes, if you do it yourself make sure you read the immigration forum lots. Also make sure you write lots of detail on your TRA application. Dont be afraid to write things like "The tools I use include sidecutters, cable strippers, multimeters" and so on. Expect lots of leg work and expense. You need to want it to get that visa.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Electrician emigrating

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I'd say dont be taken in by people who say you wont have any problem in Oz being an electrician. Reality is if you get your visa you still have to get an electrical licence when you arrive in Australia. You cant just get a job straight away, Australia doesnt allow you to apply for that licence until you arrive in Oz

As far as your application goes, if you do it yourself make sure you read the immigration forum lots. Also make sure you write lots of detail on your TRA application. Dont be afraid to write things like "The tools I use include sidecutters, cable strippers, multimeters" and so on. Expect lots of leg work and expense. You need to want it to get that visa.

Thanks for the info, which immigration forum do you mean??
Old Aug 9th 2004, 3:57 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

When you first log on you are straight into the immigration forum, well I am anyway or go to bottom of page to forum jump, it's in there

Walla
Old Aug 9th 2004, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Its the first link under the blue Immigration banner which is a bit of a scroll down from the link to this forum.
Here is the link to the forum Australia and New Zealand Immigration
Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Electrician emigrating

Cheers or Gday
Hi

hubbies a builder and we've just had a successful TRA back ..... we had to get so much stuff....i would say be prepared to put a lotof time and effort into it as its very time consuming contacting employers from way back when you left school and contacting clients from years ago for work references, we had no idea when we started and at times i was tempted to giv up but we were determined to see it thro' BUT its fantastic when you get the letter from Canberra and can move onto the next stage of applying for the visa!!!!

you'll need to spend a lotof time writing about your training (they seem to want to know about your training in greeeeaaatt detail), so think of each year of training and write as much detail and technical detail as poss, eg what you did,tools you used and jobs you worked on, we got an agent to help and he was definitely a great help.

Hope you get it sorted,
Sherie
Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Electrician emigrating

My problem seems small in comparisson, I have to write my TRA, I have started to draft it but it looks so dissconnected, the tip on side cutters seemed useful though, any more tips, not sure if I should bore them about conduit, footprints etc.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

My problem seems small in comparisson, I have to write my TRA, I have started to draft it but it looks so dissconnected, the tip on side cutters seemed useful though, any more tips, not sure if I should bore them about conduit, footprints etc.

Don't worry about boring them, or giv them any excuse to turn you down!
These guys spend all day looking thro similar applics so put as much detail in to show you have a thorough knowledge of your skill
Old Aug 9th 2004, 8:32 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Cheers or Gday
Hi my fella is a sparky and we had to do all sorts for the tra.....
Just go with the thinking that the more info you give them the better...
We had to go right back to his apprentaship,all his certificates,(make sure you get them verified by a professional person ,then all the people he had worked for ...(i had to go round ringing them all and asking for references for him)then he had to do loads of summeries of the work he did,the tools he used ,if he could work on his own or in a group.
The tra was very stressful and tiring but we got there in the end,,
We go to oz in 5 weeks and it feels like we will have to start again has he has to present himself and his case to see what kind of exam he has to do before he can get his licence.

Hopefully we will be fine so good luck to you you will get there in the end....
Leanne & Darren

Last edited by Darren&Leanne; Aug 9th 2004 at 8:36 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Also bear in mind that licensing rules may differ from state to state.
Jeremy

Originally Posted by migrantoz
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Not posted for a while but thought you might be interested to know that giving as much detail as possible on the TRA is the way to go and bore them with as much detail as you can think of. Once you get here you will need to have your TRA forms looked at again by the relevent TRA people and employer rep's. You will then be issued with a cert. that will gain you a temp licence. There is an exam that follows which is based on the wiring rules and if passed you gain the full licence. It is possible to get work without the licence, I am working and have shown no references or trade papers to my employers.

Regards

Terry
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:29 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Terry
Not posted for a while but thought you might be interested to know that giving as much detail as possible on the TRA is the way to go and bore them with as much detail as you can think of. Once you get here you will need to have your TRA forms looked at again by the relevent TRA people and employer rep's. You will then be issued with a cert. that will gain you a temp licence. There is an exam that follows which is based on the wiring rules and if passed you gain the full licence. It is possible to get work without the licence, I am working and have shown no references or trade papers to my employers.

Regards

Terry
Hi Terry..
Did (or do you) you need to pass a first aid course for part of the licence application??
Im moving to Brisbane in 5 weeks.
I was going to do one over here thru the firm i work for(CHEEKY) but ive been told that the tra will not consider it, and will have to do one over there.
Cheers
Darren..
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Well I the JIB indentured apprenticeship paperwork etc, its just the narrative I am not very good.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:18 am
Just Joined

benna is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers or Gday
WE have been in brisbane for 6 months now, bare in mind that all the Tra stuff that you do for your visa means nothing when you get here, you have to apply to QLD licensing, then go back to the TRa and ger an artc certificate, this took about 8 weeks then licensing should give you a temp license, which means that you can only work as a trades assistant whilst you do a course and sit an exam, you also have to do a CPR course. the whol eprocess took about 5 months and although during that time he was approached by numerous companys needing electricians, none of them would employ him as a electrician untill he sould show a licence!!!

good luck....
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

The cpr. cert lasts for 12 months, it will take some time before you actually need to produce it so unless it's free I would'nt bother.

Terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.