Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:24 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Question

Fortunately I don't live in Queensland nor do I intend paying anyone to wire my bloody plugs ... but thanks for the link anyway.

Perhaps I should re-phrase my question: Where can I buy 13 and 3 amp plugs instead of 10 and 5 which is all that Bunnings has?
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:36 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by rab
Fortunately I don't live in Queensland nor do I intend paying anyone to wire my bloody plugs ... but thanks for the link anyway.

Perhaps I should re-phrase my question: Where can I buy 13 and 3 amp plugs instead of 10 and 5 which is all that Bunnings has?
rab.....not sure if you can get 13 and 3 amp plugs. We got 10 amp and have used them for all our small electrical appliances

Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I'll answer your question you get a licenced electrician to fit the correct plugs.
Reading through a link I posted on another thread I found this on the Queensland Govt. website. It gives a pretty good definition of all the terms and the legality of what you can and cannot do. Should be proof enough to shut up even the most pedantic posters.

"What is electrical equipment?

Electrical equipment is more than just appliances. There are two main types found in a home or small business - electrical accessories and fixed wired electrical appliances. The following lists give an indication of the types of products.

Electrical accessories

Fixed wired electrical appliances

junction boxes
light switches
light fittings without a cord
power points
plugs
cord extension sockets
flexible cord
ceiling fans
some light fittings
split system air conditioners
stoves and ovens

What should I do?

It is not against the law to purchase electrical accessories or fixed wired electrical appliances, but a licensed electrical contractor must install them.

Electricians or electrical contractors can be found in the Yellow Pages, the classified sections of local newspapers or by contacting an electrical industry association."

Just for the really cynical heres the link
http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/publicat/law/index.htm

Thanks cresta, another person who kindly spent their time getting to the end of this matter, for other states check it out carefully dont assume its just QLD.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:11 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks Cresta

That's the info I have been looking for ages, to sort the answer out one way or the other.

It's been an interesting subject, and I am sure many people are unaware of the actual facts. My own insurers answered in writing:
We do not cover you or any person under any section of this policy for loss or damage to property caused by through or in connection with:
* the inherent defect or defective or faulty workmanship, design or manufacture

Every claim is assessed on it's own merits and therefore it is impossible to say whether a claim would be accepted or denied for a situation as suggested.
If they were fully aware of the law, I am sure they could have answered better, by saying "changing plugs yourself is against the law, and therefore not covered" . But it could of course be due to the fact that different States have different rules, and therefore they are just as confused as the rest of us.

Now I would like to find out what the NSW rules are. I was a NSW resident when I changed all my plugs !!

PS: Energex have so far not been prepared to give a written answer, maybe they are trying to find that web page too

Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thanks cresta, another person who kindly spent their time getting to the end of this matter, for other states check it out carefully dont assume its just QLD.
Your more than welcome both of you. I've posted that link a few times now usually to inform fellow tradies that power tools need testing and tagging 3 monthly. I knew I'd seen "FACTUAL EVIDENCE" to prove the point but couldn't remember where abouts.
It's nice to be able to "show government info to substantiate your point" and "prove to the contrary i.e stating legislation.....that it's illegal to change plugs in Australia". Finally it even better to be able to separate "FACT from FICTION.... ......... "
Oh nearly forgot and Jad n Rich you can now expect a profound apology from certain quarters. I'm sure you'll be eagerly waiting for that
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Your more than welcome both of you. I've posted that link a few times now usually to inform fellow tradies that power tools need testing and tagging 3 monthly. I knew I'd seen "FACTUAL EVIDENCE" to prove the point but couldn't remember where abouts.
It's nice to be able to "show government info to substantiate your point" and "prove to the contrary i.e stating legislation.....that it's illegal to change plugs in Australia". Finally it even better to be able to separate "FACT from FICTION.... ......... "
Oh nearly forgot and Jad n Rich you can now expect a profound apology from certain quarters. I'm sure you'll be eagerly waiting for that

I wont hold my breath

Sick of the test and tag bills doing the course myself soon, another weekend lost to training and study then
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to carry this on...

"Illegal" implies breaking the law. Is the Australian Government stating that people will be arrested and prosecuted for replacing their plugs on appliances?

What will the insurance companies do if you have a fire caused by poor workmanship when an approved electrician has fitted the plug? I suspect they would ask you to persue a claim against the electrician. Yeah! That'll work!

Seems really strange to me that Australia has a concern for safety regarding plugs. But no legislation, in Victoria anyway, regarding annual roadworthy certificates for cars. There are cars on the road in Aus that are death traps.

But so long as the electricians are making loads of money for fitting plugs I suppose that's ok
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stewie
Sorry to carry this on...

"Illegal" implies breaking the law. Is the Australian Government stating that people will be arrested and prosecuted for replacing their plugs on appliances?
Not the Australian Govt. the Queensland Govt.
"In the case of property damage, illegal electrical work could jeopardise the chances of getting compensation from an insurer.

What is electrical work?

The Electrical Safety Act 2002 includes as electrical work - installation, maintenance, repair, removal or replacement of electrical equipment.

In Queensland it is against the law for unlicensed people to perform electrical work.

Significant penalties of up to $30,000 can apply to individuals.

Other work such as cutting openings for air-conditioning, fitting but not connecting a wall oven in a kitchen cabinet, or replacing a drive belt on a washing machine is not electrical work.

Please remember that other electrical risks such as contact with or damage to internal wiring need to be considered and controlled.

What is electrical equipment?

Electrical equipment is more than just appliances. There are two main types found in a home or small business - electrical accessories and fixed wired electrical appliances. The following lists give an indication of the types of products.

Electrical accessories

Fixed wired electrical appliances

junction boxes
light switches
light fittings without a cord
power points
plugs
cord extension sockets
flexible cord
ceiling fans
some light fittings
split system air conditioners
stoves and ovens

What should I do?

It is not against the law to purchase electrical accessories or fixed wired electrical appliances, but a licensed electrical contractor must install them.

Electricians or electrical contractors can be found in the Yellow Pages, the classified sections of local newspapers or by contacting an electrical industry association."

What will the insurance companies do if you have a fire caused by poor workmanship when an approved electrician has fitted the plug? I suspect they would ask you to persue a claim against the electrician. Yeah! That'll work!?
Here in Queensland that's exactly what happens, that's why as a bloody ceramic tiler I have to pay over a grand a yr just for public liability insurance

Seems really strange to me that Australia has a concern for safety regarding plugs. But no legislation, in Victoria anyway, regarding annual roadworthy certificates for cars. There are cars on the road in Aus that are death traps.
Yep that's Australia your considered too simple to wire a plug but able to drive around in death trap cars
But so long as the electricians are making loads of money for fitting plugs I suppose that's ok
No comment needed there
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Not the Australian Govt. the Queensland Govt.
[I]"In the case of property damage, illegal electrical work could jeopardise the chances of getting compensation from an insurer.
Hi cresta

I understand all this. But there is no way I will be paying an "electrician" to change a plug on a TV.

It's crazy. I trained as an Aircraft Apprentice (electrical) with the RAF and have worked on the some of the most sophisticated aircraft electrical systems in the world. I'm not a qualified "electrician" though so I can't connect 3 wires to a plug.

Aus is a wonderful place.... but I just have to smile at some of the rules and regs.

If my house burns down because I wired the plug incorrectly then I probably deserve it

All the Best
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:44 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Supplementary Question: Do people’s houses ever burn down because of a mis-wired plug?

IMHO if a plug has been wired wrong it’s just going to trip the fuse. Even if wired correctly and a wire comes loose, surely it will again, trip the fuse!

What might cause a fire is putting in lots of adapters on a single socket and then connecting enough appliances to create 10-15 amps of current through aforementioned adapters. :scared:

Just wondering
Alistair
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Supplementary Question: Do people’s houses ever burn down because of a mis-wired plug?

IMHO if a plug has been wired wrong it’s just going to trip the fuse. Even if wired correctly and a wire comes loose, surely it will again, trip the fuse!

What might cause a fire is putting in lots of adapters on a single socket and then connecting enough appliances to create 10-15 amps of current through aforementioned adapters. :scared:

Just wondering
Alistair
Alistair

Absolutely right. It's just the "nanny state" gone mad.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:09 am

Alistair

Absolutely right. It's just the "nanny state" gone mad.
That's it in a nutshell, you've just got to grin and bear it
You can't wire a plug but it's legal to have a 240v socket over a vanity unit and a wall switch in the bath/shower room instead of a pull cord
Madness
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you learn living in Queensland is that the words "law" and "logic" cannot be used in the same sentence........
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

That's it in a nutshell, you've just got to grin and bear it
You can't wire a plug but it's legal to have a 240v socket over a vanity unit and a wall switch in the bath/shower room instead of a pull cord
Madness
Cresta
Pity you're in QLD. We could have a couple of beers and have a good laugh.
We'll be in Melbourne at Christmas and QLD for 2 weeks in the New Year.

If I see a bloke with tags all over his power tools will that be you?

See ya
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One thing you learn living in Queensland is that the words "law" and "logic" cannot be used in the same sentence........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.