Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Question

Originally Posted by Stewie
Pollyana

Hope you got a fully qualified typist to type that reply. Wouldn't want any claim for a broken fingernail to be refused by the insurance company
LOL!! After four days of scraping bits of car off the tarmac at Surfers Paradise, do you really think I've got any nails left??!!!
What am I bid for a piece of Monsieur Carpentier's race car which disintegrated in front of me yesterday?

Oh - and yes, I DO have a licence for scraping bits of car off of the tarmac!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh - and yes, I DO have a licence for scraping bits of car off of the tarmac!
Must get one of those. I think it will come in handy
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana

Hope you got a fully qualified typist to type that reply. Wouldn't want any claim for a broken fingernail to be refused by the insurance company
you don't know how close to the truth that is
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Must get one of those. I think it will come in handy
www.cams.com.au , click on Licensing, Officials, and tell them you want to be a Trackie! gets you into every motor sport event going....

Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

www.cams.com.au , click on Licensing, Officials, and tell them you want to be a Trackie! gets you into every motor sport event going....

I take it you're what we call in the UK a Marshall.

As the only thing I do in my spare time is go to watch motor racing.... that site is great.

However there's no mention of electrical plugs
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:35 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by debsy
Nice one
What about european two pin appliances
Although the european plugs look like they are 2 pin, they are really 3 pin but the 3rd pin is found in the socket rather than the plug. I know this sounds confusing but the plug has the live and neutral pins and the earth is a hole into which the socket pin fits.

Although european sockets look dangerous, they are quite safe, as the exposed pin is connected to earth. When the plug pushes on this pin it opens the holes for the live and neutral pins (on the plug). Personnally I think the european plug/sockets are safer than UK ones because the live pin is not exposed when the live hole is opened (because the socket is a cavity). Aussie sockets are not as safe as UK as they do not use the earth-pin to open the hole for the live connection.

What is not safe in Europe (certainly France) is the way they make little trees out of 2 way adapters, running out of the inadequate number of sockets found in each room.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Right, electrical plugs have now been done to death. Next one: If a washer needs replacing in a tap, can I do it (I can, am I allowed) or do I need a plumber?

Am I allowed to go to the toilet on my own or does someone have to come with me?

Bored with this now, will go shopping and buy an iceberg lettuce - don't know how much it will be but will be sure to let everyone know when I get back
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:40 pm
Home and Happy

I take it you're what we call in the UK a Marshall.

As the only thing I do in my spare time is go to watch motor racing.... that site is great.

However there's no mention of electrical plugs
We call them marshals here too - worked at a few meets in the UK, mainly Goodwood and Brands - you get to see the racing for free from my side of the fence though!

As for the plugs, I was told when I got here, insurance is invalid if you change them yourself. The Bloke nearly had a coronary at the mere thought! All my stuff has the moulded plugs from the Uk, so is running on 4-way adapter boards.
I object to paying for a job like plug changing, but would do it if one had to be changed, simply because the risk of insurance non-payout is too great.

Pic just for you Stewie (from Fox Sports) = opposite our point yesterday -
Attached Thumbnails Electrical Question-indy-04-carpentier-pt-3.jpg  
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:58 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Right, electrical plugs have now been done to death. Next one: If a washer needs replacing in a tap, can I do it (I can, am I allowed) or do I need a plumber?
Don't be silly of course you can't you even need a bloody plumber to fix the self cutting taps we use for dishwashers and washing machines

Am I allowed to go to the toilet on my own or does someone have to come with me?
You can go alone but they make the gap at the top of the door 25mm and the hinges are lift off just in case you have a problem in there. This is dead set a genuine regulation.

Bored with this now, will go shopping and buy an iceberg lettuce - don't know how much it will be but will be sure to let everyone know when I get back
Please I really don't want to know if it's crispy and fresh I don't give a dam
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

I object to paying for a job like plug changing, but would do it if one had to be changed, simply because the risk of insurance non-payout is too great.

-
My 2 p's (c's) worth...
I would have no problem about changing one myself (and will do), if I did it I would be 100% sure it was OK and not loose any sleep, If your not sure get a sparky. I bet if your house did burn down due to the equipment that a sparky fitted a plug too, they still would'nt pay as the equipment was intended for use in another country.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:12 pm
Home and Happy

Cresta - Very good!!

GJN200 - you know what insurance companies are like, coated in nice slippery oil! I'll just cover myself as far as I can.

Incidentally, before I slide off for the night - we have a UK power-board in the bedroom with long extension lead cos this place is seriously lacking in points. It takes 3 UK plugs, then runs through an adapter to the Aussie socket. Till now it has had a UK CD player (with molded plug so can't change it, and a UK table lamp running into it.
Today I got The Bloke to take me to Ikea He is now in shock
So now I have a new lamp, with an Aussie plug - and have to go out and buy a flipping adapter (Aus-UK) to plug it in with! How ironic is that
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

WILL EVERYONE SHUT THE F**K UP ABOUT ******* PLUGS NOW PLEASE :scared:
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:14 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
Hi all

Read this thread with interest but sadly it is digressing all over the place and I need specific info like the original poster.

I am moving all our things out of storage on Friday and going to our new home. So I looked in Bunnings and all they have is 5 amp and 10 amp plugs, wheareas all our UK appliance are 3 or 13 amp.

I couldn't see any in-line fuses either. Do I just put a 13 on a 10 and a 3 on a 5 or is that dodgy?

rab
No-one has answered my question and I need to know as I am moving into our new place on Friday and am getting everything out of storage.

On the 10 / 5 amp plug situation what is best to use with UK appliances?
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by rab
No-one has answered my question and I need to know as I am moving into our new place on Friday and am getting everything out of storage.

On the 10 / 5 amp plug situation what is best to use with UK appliances?
I'll answer your question you get a licenced electrician to fit the correct plugs.
Reading through a link I posted on another thread I found this on the Queensland Govt. website. It gives a pretty good definition of all the terms and the legality of what you can and cannot do. Should be proof enough to shut up even the most pedantic posters.

"What is electrical equipment?

Electrical equipment is more than just appliances. There are two main types found in a home or small business - electrical accessories and fixed wired electrical appliances. The following lists give an indication of the types of products.

Electrical accessories

Fixed wired electrical appliances

junction boxes
light switches
light fittings without a cord
power points
plugs
cord extension sockets
flexible cord
ceiling fans
some light fittings
split system air conditioners
stoves and ovens

What should I do?

It is not against the law to purchase electrical accessories or fixed wired electrical appliances, but a licensed electrical contractor must install them.

Electricians or electrical contractors can be found in the Yellow Pages, the classified sections of local newspapers or by contacting an electrical industry association."

Just for the really cynical heres the link
http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/publicat/law/index.htm
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=cresta57]I'll answer your question you get a licenced electrician to fit the correct plugs.

Absolutely no doubt. The fitting of plugs has to be carried out by a licensed electrician in QLD.

It's a crazy world

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.