British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Education and work experience are different. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/education-work-experience-different-899472/)

yks1983 Jul 11th 2017 10:44 pm

Education and work experience are different.

Hi Everyone,

I am in big confusion about my skill assessment. I have to file for the skill assessment, but the problem is, my qualification and work experience are different. I have done MBA/Master of Accounting from Australian Catholic University and currently work into IT in SAP technology in FI (Financial Accounting). I have been working in SAP for more than 2 years. If i show my current experience for skill assessment in that case assessing authority will consider my experience or simply reject my profile. Please provide your valuable advice.

I am extremely sorry, if the thready has been done for the same case as i could not find anything similar.

carcajou Jul 12th 2017 12:55 am

Re: Education and work experience are different.

Is this for a 189 or 190 visa? What profession are you applying for a skills assessment under?

The qualification and the experience all have to be highly relevant to the job definition you are applying under.

So if you are applying as an accountant, job experience in IT would not count, unless you could prove it was highly relevant to accounting. The skills assessor would likely need something like an official job description from the company etc.

"Highly relevant" is very tightly defined. It would not count as "highly relevant" to say something like "my job in IT sorts the program software to help the accountants do their job" etc.

Developing accounting software, I don't know. You would need an official job description and some sort of documentation about how it is highly relevant.

Could be a good idea to contact a MARA-registered agent if it's a grey area.

Just working IT and trying to pass it off as accounting because it's an accounting company would not be a grey area.

ptlabs Jul 24th 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by yks1983 (Post 12292169)
I am in big confusion about my skill assessment. I have to file for the skill assessment, but the problem is, my qualification and work experience are different.

Hi there

It night be worthwhile to familiarise yourself with the rules of the relevant skills assessment authority that you are planning to apply to, or to get proper advice from a registered migration agent.

Generally, things won't be too straightforward when your academic qualifications and work experience are in different fields.

Regards
Peter

moneypenny20 Jul 24th 2017 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ptlabs (Post 12301630)
Hi there

It night be worthwhile to familiarise yourself with the rules of the relevant skills assessment authority that you are planning to apply to, or to get proper advice from a registered migration agent.

Generally, things won't be too straightforward when your academic qualifications and work experience are in different fields.

Regards
Peter

Good grief, just noticed you're back. Lovely to 'see' you. :D Hope you can hang around. :thumb:

Sorry, OP, back on topic.

Thappere52 Jul 26th 2017 7:45 pm

you haven't actually mentioned where do you apply... whichever the case i think this is good that you have education and work experience differently because this means (at least in my opinion) that you have more experience in general so you have chances to get approved in both fields... but that's just my humble opinion