Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eat this, Pommie-B!

Eat this, Pommie-B!

Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:08 am
sydneyrose

Default Eat this, Pommie-B!

re "crime infested, dirty little country."
You are taking the wrong message out of oz, Herman. It is about the recognition of and respect of difference, and what is one man's meat is....
One of the problems, I feel, is that while people here are exposed to information about the northern hemisphere countries, the reverse does not apply and people can thus arrive in oz with simplistic information. Look up oz in the english media and you are likely to find a cricket score. Many australians want to visit the uk because we are informed about the culture(s) through history and literature as much as anything to do with work.
Feedback is also worth noting. Why is the country so dirty? It is not third world. Why can't it be cleaned up? If it is difficult for visitors it must be worse for residents.

Old Oct 10th 2002, 7:23 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eat this, Pommie-B!

Originally posted by sydneyrose:
re "crime infested, dirty little country."
Feedback is also worth noting. Why is the country so dirty? It is not third world. Why can't it be cleaned up? If it is difficult for visitors it must be worse for residents.
Take it you have seen how some of your fellow Aussies live ?some of the so called country areas here have a very rustic tip look, and not just where the Abbos have been dumped to rot.
The British country side is as an Aussie friend explained to me, the most beautful on the planet.
Some of the larger cities in UK are over populated which means they tend to get grubby, but look around say Bath or York to name just a few that sparkle apart from the Aussies tourists dropping litter they do not know any better.
By the way how big is that chip on your shoulder ? did poor old Captain Cook realy understand what a crapy country he had found , maybe that why it became a dumping ground for convicts , whats your family history ? all your family come here in chains , the word crime and Australia are interlinked.
You can take a convict out of Australia , but not the convict out of an Australian, old saying but still holds true.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 10th 2002 at 7:39 am.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 8:30 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Take it you have seen how some of your fellow Aussies live ?some of the so called country areas here have a very rustic tip look, and not just where the Abbos have been dumped to rot.
The British country side is as an Aussie friend explained to me, the most beautful on the planet.
Some of the larger cities in UK are over populated which means they tend to get grubby, but look around say Bath or York to name just a few that sparkle apart from the Aussies tourists dropping litter they do not know any better.
By the way how big is that chip on your shoulder ? did poor old Captain Cook realy understand what a crapy country he had found , maybe that why it became a dumping ground for convicts , whats your family history ? all your family come here in chains , the word crime and Australia are interlinked.
You can take a convict out of Australia , but not the convict out of an Australian, old saying but still holds true.

Yes, the british countryside is very pretty as we discussed in an earlier thread. It is not the same as a wilderness and evokes a different emotional response. Rather like being fed cream cakes day after day after day etc. But everyone has their own preferences.
Convictism is not an issue in oz. The 2 countries amicably went their separate paths some decades ago, with separate defence and trade pacts, not much in common these days.There is no issue relating to the colonial era which remains a problem. Is all this understood in uk?

Old Oct 10th 2002, 11:37 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Convictism is not an issue in oz. The 2 countries amicably went their separate paths some decades ago, with separate defence and trade pacts, not much in common these days.There is no issue relating to the colonial era which remains a problem. Is all this understood in uk?

Is Australia still a commonwealth country the answer is yes ,the head of state is the British Queen this ties you good people to the UK hard luck.
When given the chance to choose your own head of state you choose to remain chained to Queen , no back bone?
On top on that 65% of all Australians were either born or have their roots in UK , given that 35% of international companies in Australia are British owned even the biggest Australian has gone British BHP.
Goverment and most things in Australia are based on the British system most can even speak English with a convict tilt.
Britain supplied men and ships also planes to get the piss poor Australia army to East Timor , you also live under the Queens protection, all your forces swear an oath to the Queen.
Trade wise Australia uses UK as a back door in order to trade with EEC, as far as tourism goes 22million visit the UK every year only 4 million bother with arse end of the world says it all.Have a good day

Old Oct 10th 2002, 11:56 pm
sydneyrose

Is Australia still a commonwealth country the answer is yes ,the head of state is the British Queen this ties you good people to the UK hard luck.
When given the chance to choose your own head of state you choose to remain chained to Queen , no back bone?
On top on that 65% of all Australians were either born or have their roots in UK , given that 35% of international companies in Australia are British owned even the biggest Australian has gone British BHP.
Goverment and most things in Australia are based on the British system most can even speak English with a convict tilt.
Britain supplied men and ships also planes to get the piss poor Australia army to East Timor , you also live under the Queens protection, all your forces swear an oath to the Queen.
Trade wise Australia uses UK as a back door in order to trade with EEC, as far as tourism goes 22million visit the UK every year only 4 million bother with arse end of the world says it all.Have a good day

Failure embitters. Have a safe trip back, PB

Old Oct 11th 2002, 12:15 am
Banned

What failure? as my bank manager here imforms me we are in top 20% of Australian earners , god help the other 80%, I have employment better paid than most in Perth and a middle class home but still see Australia as a second rate country my failure or the countrys who knows and ask me if I care.
Now you can do better than this your Queen and country expects better.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 2:57 am
sydneyrose

What failure? as my bank manager here imforms me we are in top 20% of Australian earners , god help the other 80%, I have employment better paid than most in Perth and a middle class home but still see Australia as a second rate country my failure or the countrys who knows and ask me if I care.
Now you can do better than this your Queen and country expects better.
I know you are suffering PB. From a loss of relevance. I am told the pith helmet makes a very nice birdbath. Is this true?
As for the queen - a gracious lady, seriously undervalued by her compatriots. As a republican, I cannot salute her, but I can wish her God bless.
Have a safe trip home PB.

Old Oct 11th 2002, 3:41 am
Banned

I know you are suffering PB. From a loss of relevance. I am told the pith helmet makes a very nice birdbath. Is this true?
As for the queen - a gracious lady, seriously undervalued by her compatriots. As a republican, I cannot salute her, but I can wish her God bless.
Have a safe trip home PB.

Humour is the best weapon I see that that you are well armed ,will have to bring up my big guns you are out guning me but its not over till the fat lady sings.
I am sure your Queen has given the Australian people all she has to give , free passage with chains provided and a good start in nice warm cells and still looks after you now .
Thanks to that good lady you can think and say what you please even gives you the right to be a republican, what did Keating say "Australia is a banana Republic" , and he should know being the PM at the time.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 7:15 am
sydneyrose

Humour is the best weapon I see that that you are well armed ,will have to bring up my big guns you are out guning me but its not over till the fat lady sings.
I am sure your Queen has given the Australian people all she has to give , free passage with chains provided and a good start in nice warm cells and still looks after you now .
Thanks to that good lady you can think and say what you please even gives you the right to be a republican, what did Keating say "Australia is a banana Republic" , and he should know being the PM at the time.
The queen isa genuinely admirable person, PB, grace under pressure: a nation's ennui, a choleric husband, ungrateful children, stroppy daughters in law. She can visit here anytime and have a nice cup of tea. Personally I think she should pack them all off to the colonies.Gibraltar?
As for the republic, what can you expect - a terrible campaign.Malcolm Pipsqueak leading the charge. Where was Wellington? Divide and conquer. And then a fifth column. And the yawn factor zzzzzz Where were the tumbrils? But I have left the champers in the fridge for another day, PB.
I am actually a stray. I was looking for info on holidays in Canada and clearly am in the wrong place here.
So, once again, safe trip home. Have you bought the thermals yet?

Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:18 am
Banned

The queen isa genuinely admirable person, PB, grace under pressure: a nation's ennui, a choleric husband, ungrateful children, stroppy daughters in law. She can visit here anytime and have a nice cup of tea. Personally I think she should pack them all off to the colonies.Gibraltar?
As for the republic, what can you expect - a terrible campaign.Malcolm Pipsqueak leading the charge. Where was Wellington? Divide and conquer. And then a fifth column. And the yawn factor zzzzzz Where were the tumbrils? But I have left the champers in the fridge for another day, PB.
I am actually a stray. I was looking for info on holidays in Canada and clearly am in the wrong place here.
So, once again, safe trip home. Have you bought the thermals yet?
Could be right about the vote on the republic , then again if Australia is such a great place why change a system that has served it so well.
Love the cold and wet realy looking forward to it , well theres more to life than the weather .Nice having a bit of banter with you , got to ask are you a true blue because in my limited time here those and some eastern state people seem to be the best people to know.Best wishes PB

Ps countries that Betty is still head of state

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Canada
Grenada
Jamaica
New Zealand
Papua
Solomon Islands
St. Kitts-Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Tuvalu
U.K.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 9:16 am
sydneyrose

Could be right about the vote on the republic , then again if Australia is such a great place why change a system that has served it so well.
Love the cold and wet realy looking forward to it , well theres more to life than the weather .Nice having a bit of banter with you , got to ask are you a true blue because in my limited time here those and some eastern state people seem to be the best people to know.Best wishes PB

Ps countries that Betty is still head of state

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Canada
Grenada
Jamaica
New Zealand
Papua
Solomon Islands
St. Kitts-Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Tuvalu
U.K.
Yes. australian since 1829, and yes, they were convicts (from a village in Northampton).Two brothers who made their fortune here, then brought out 34 members of their family. Six months on a sailing ship, a baby born en route.
The republic is simply about the next step for oz as a nation.
We seem to have got away from the serious tone of these threads - the weather, the humidity, whether to wear shorts at night, what to do after 9 pm (it's called a book). I blame Neighbours for this: all that sweaty, friendly, around the barbie imagery. Maybe there should have been an episode on cannibalism in the suburbs.
Seriously though, overblown expectations can lead to disappointment and then to bitterness.From an australian perspective: ugh! It's a fine line between encouraging people
to try what my own people tried and yet know when to call it quits.
I need to find the Canucks. All the best.