British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Duty etc on import of personal effects < 12 mths old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/duty-etc-import-personal-effects-12-mths-old-807876/)

windy1 Sep 1st 2013 3:12 pm

Duty etc on import of personal effects < 12 mths old

Just preparing our stuff for the shippers. One item is less than 12 months old but according to AQIS website, this will be liable to import duty, GST and possibly a custom service fee $52 min. Not funny.

However, on the Customs webpages it says

Minimum thresholds: Imports with a product value up to AU$ 1000 are exempt from duty, GST and Customs Service Fee.

So my question is, would my single item (less than 12 mths old) qualify under this exemption, or would it fail to qualify because it forms part of my whole consignment worth $60k

I think I know the answer :( but has anyone been down this particular path?

scrubbedexpat055 Sep 1st 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Duty etc on import of personal effects < 12 mths old

Usually, they are not interested in one off items, ie if thou have included a new washing machine, they are unlikely to be bothered. However if you have imported 6 new machines, then they would be interested.........

Without knowing what the item is in your case, it is difficult to say any more.

Just be honest on the form

Alfresco Sep 1st 2013 7:37 pm

We had to pay duty on a new tumble dryer we brought over, but it was still new in its box.

windy1 Sep 1st 2013 7:44 pm

alfresco - what % did they charge you ?

Bermudashorts Sep 1st 2013 8:27 pm

Just don't tell them the age of the item, if it is not in original packaging nobody will know.

Kapri Sep 1st 2013 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10880870)
Just don't tell them the age of the item, if it is not in original packaging nobody will know.

Yep, our washing machine was only a few weeks old but it had been used a few times and so wasn't in packaging. We didn't pay anything.

Beoz Sep 1st 2013 10:04 pm

All our wedding presents less than 6 months old in the container. Nothing said nothing taxed.

Alfresco Sep 2nd 2013 9:24 am

Originally Posted by windy1 (Post 10880841)
alfresco - what % did they charge you ?

It wasn't a lot. I can't remember. I would have to rummage though boxes to find it. Whatever the duty rate was in 2010. I think (guess) $50 or something.

:)

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10880870)

Yeah, go with that.