Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in UK on Australian licence?

Driving in UK on Australian licence?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

julesmc will become famous soon enough
Question Driving in UK on Australian licence?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me.

My 18 year old god-daughter will be staying with me in the UK for 6 months. She has passed her driving test (in NSW) and is driving on her P plates at the moment. I think this means that she can drive in the UK but with the same restrictions that she has in Australia.

My question is this:

Am I correct in my assumption that she can drive in the UK?
If I am, what are the restrictions that will apply?

(Okay, that's actually 2 questions!)

I'd be very grateful for any advice that anyone can offer

Jules
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driving in UK on Australian licence?

Originally Posted by julesmc
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me.

My 18 year old god-daughter will be staying with me in the UK for 6 months. She has passed her driving test (in NSW) and is driving on her P plates at the moment. I think this means that she can drive in the UK but with the same restrictions that she has in Australia.

My question is this:

Am I correct in my assumption that she can drive in the UK?
If I am, what are the restrictions that will apply?

(Okay, that's actually 2 questions!)

I'd be very grateful for any advice that anyone can offer

Jules
Hi,
If you hold a valid Australian driving licence or International Driving Permit you can drive in Great Britain in the vehicles covered by your licence for up to 12 months. This includes Australian probationary licences.
Hope this helps,
Dennis
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

MrXnotMrY has a spectacular aura aboutMrXnotMrY has a spectacular aura aboutMrXnotMrY has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jules,
This link will tell you about driving in the UK on a foreign licence - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ence/index.htm

Insurance tends to be more of the issue. My friends changed their licences for UK licences because of the ferocious costs associated with hiring a car or being added to other people’s policies. If she is going to drive your car then ask your insurers, if she is going to hire one then she will need to get a quote (I'm not even sure if you can easily hire a car in the UK under the age of 25!).

For example Budget rent a car states on its website http://www.budget.co.uk/:
'Budget requires drivers in the UK to be 25 years of age or older. However there are some locations where the minimum age is 23 with an applicable surcharge. International age requirements vary by country (please call 0844 581 2231 for further details).'

Hope this helps.

MrX

Last edited by MrXnotMrY; Jan 28th 2009 at 6:35 pm. Reason: added http://www.budget.co.uk/
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:39 am
Just Joined

julesmc will become famous soon enough

Thank you both for your responses. It looks like she should be able to drive whilst she is over here.

Mr X, the insurance side isn't an issue as she will only be using a company car for company business and will be covered under that insurance policy (which covers all our staff over the age of 18). I don't plan to let her drive my car (it's a Porsche) as I think it might be a bit expensive (even if they would consider it) and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing an 18 year old was driving my pride & joy!

Jules