Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving From The Shire into Sydney

Driving From The Shire into Sydney

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving From The Shire into Sydney

Anyone do this on a daily basis and how long does it roughly take please? Off and on peak times.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving From The Shire into Sydney

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Anyone do this on a daily basis and how long does it roughly take please? Off and on peak times.
From an outsider looking in tis only approx 30 kms from Cronulla to Sydney approx which took us nigh on bang on an hour by train last year but is there a NEED to drive ? Google maps thingy says 40 mins by car via M1
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Never drove in peak hours but off peak Janalli was anywhere between 40 mins and 1 1/2 hours depending on the number of red lights caught on the Princes Highway. In rush hour we always caught the train as it was always on time and much cheaper than CBD parking
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Drove down there a couple of weeks back on a Saturday night. Half an hour.

Its been a long time, like 20 years, since I rush houred it but used to leave at 6:45 and arrive in the city at 7:45. No eastern distributor back then.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
From an outsider looking in tis only approx 30 kms from Cronulla to Sydney approx which took us nigh on bang on an hour by train last year but is there a NEED to drive ? Google maps thingy says 40 mins by car via M1
Thanks Bobby. I had a look on the Google thingy too, but I'm not really sure just how accurate it is. No, no need to drive, I suppose an hour on the train isn't that bad. BTW what did you think of Cronulla, did you spend much time there?

Originally Posted by spottydog
Never drove in peak hours but off peak Janalli was anywhere between 40 mins and 1 1/2 hours depending on the number of red lights caught on the Princes Highway. In rush hour we always caught the train as it was always on time and much cheaper than CBD parking
Thanks spotty.

Originally Posted by Beoz

Its been a long time, like 20 years, since I rush houred it but used to leave at 6:45 and arrive in the city at 7:45. No eastern distributor back then.
Cheers B.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Molly Coddle;11520207]Thanks Bobby. I had a look on the Google thingy too, but I'm not really sure just how accurate it is. No, no need to drive, I suppose an hour on the train isn't that bad. BTW what did you think of Cronulla, did you spend much time there?

Looked like there was some seriously expensive houses on the train ride down there and lovely scenery . Spent most of the day on a wonderful beach mainly but did look a busy sort of cosmopolitan town by Aussie standards with several restaurants and bars and a marina to boot if i remember correctly . My overall impression in the short time i visited would definitely be more of the plus side of things Going down again in Mrch but maybe too late to give any more advice in your case !
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Asher used to live in Cronulla, and could give you advice on what it is like. She has now bought a home in the Shire so knows the area quite well. Hope she pops in soon to help.Might go and nudge her on FB.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bobby. I had a look on the Google thingy too, but I'm not really sure just how accurate it is. No, no need to drive, I suppose an hour on the train isn't that bad. BTW what did you think of Cronulla, did you spend much time there?

Thanks spotty.

Cheers B.
Cronulla is nice. Very family orientated. Very white Australian. Big long beach but all to rocky points with bathing pools. Cronulla has a pedestrianised area with shops, bars and restaurants. Cronulla itself is the most expensive area along the pennisnsula to Sutherland. The closer to Sutherland you get the closer the train stops are to the city. Each of those train stops has a high street. Miranda has a massive shopping centre. Gymea is more of a village type feel. All those suburbs are in easy access of the beach and run along side the Port Hacking river so you are surround by water in most directions.

I think the only drawbacks for the Shire is the commute. Many do it and are used to it. I did it 20 odd years ago. Personally I'd have no problems living in the area except these days I don't commute therefore the Shire is out for me. Bit like the Northern Beaches. Therefore I'm stuck in the Eastern Subs.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:55 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Off Peak 30 mins peak times 1 hr plus is much better to use the train 45 mins and stress free
Want any more info contact me xx
Old Jan 4th 2015, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone much appreciated, just had a quick look at properties too. I'm also going to check the surrounding areas out.

Asher I will compile a few questions, thank you. X
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Defo train, not car if you are going to the CBD. We lived in Gymea and Loftus over 6 years. The Shire is a great place to live, if you 'have' to live in Sydney. Though its not as good since we moved out! ha ha
Old Jan 5th 2015, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Defo train, not car if you are going to the CBD. We lived in Gymea and Loftus over 6 years. The Shire is a great place to live, if you 'have' to live in Sydney. Though its not as good since we moved out! ha ha
Lol cheers!

What made you move. May I ask?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Lol cheers!

What made you move. May I ask?
We sold up and followed our dream of driving round Australia www.travelsroundoz.com | A Lap of the Map

Sydney had given us what we wanted at the time, jobs, visas, citizenship but wasn't quite the life style we wanted long term.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
We sold up and followed our dream of driving round Australia www.travelsroundoz.com | A Lap of the Map

Sydney had given us what we wanted at the time, jobs, visas, citizenship but wasn't quite the life style we wanted long term.
OK.

Yep, I remember reading that before. Fantastic.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:04 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I drive through the Shire every day on my way to work at two locations, Kings Cross and Parramatta.
I live near Wollongong and my daily commute is equitable for both locations which is about 1hr 15 mins door to door normal but extend that to 1hr 30 mins when peak.
If you are going into the CBD then the traffic starts backing up from the A1/Old Princes Highway junction, if going to Western Sydney then it tends to start backing up at Padstow Heights. This is Peak time, off peak its not too bad.
Like others have suggested, if you can, use the train, every 20 mins to Sutherland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.