Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licenses for a 'Working Holiday Visa'

Driving Licenses for a 'Working Holiday Visa'

Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

JackJosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licenses for a 'Working Holiday Visa'

I've done a bit of reading into the subject of driving over in Australia when I go over on a year long working holiday visa. Apparently you do not need to change your license, you can just use your existing British one?

I thought it would be worth asking some people who have experience on the matter. I am taking my test in the next few weeks and am hoping to pass in England before I go in January. I know a lot of countries have a rule that you must have had your license for over three years and I wondered if this applied at all in Aus.

Advise of any nature would be appreciated.
Jack
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving Licenses for a 'Working Holiday Visa'

I stand to be corrected but don't believe it will have any bearing on being able to drive there. As long as you have a full licence you are fine.

However you may find rental companies may require x no of years of driving before they will allow you to rent from them.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JackJosy
I've done a bit of reading into the subject of driving over in Australia when I go over on a year long working holiday visa. Apparently you do not need to change your license, you can just use your existing British one?

I thought it would be worth asking some people who have experience on the matter. I am taking my test in the next few weeks and am hoping to pass in England before I go in January. I know a lot of countries have a rule that you must have had your license for over three years and I wondered if this applied at all in Aus.

Advise of any nature would be appreciated.
Jack
Here's what happens in Victoria

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rsLicences.htm

As your visa is temporary you should be OK on your UK license. Perm residents have to obtain an Aussie license. Each state has it's own rules but all are similar.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree with what's been said already ...

We employ a lot of backpackers each year and they all use their UK drivers licences fine. As others said it's only when you're here more than temporary that it becomes an issue.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Effectively you will be on P Plates and subject to restrictions of same from a legal point of view. This includes zero blood alcohol. If you're over 25 these restrictions are less severe in some states. If you could tell us what states you will visiting then some links for more info can be posted.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Effectively you will be on P Plates and subject to restrictions of same from a legal point of view. This includes zero blood alcohol. If you're over 25 these restrictions are less severe in some states. If you could tell us what states you will visiting then some links for more info can be posted.
I'm going to be in WA the whole time. That shouldn't be a big deal. I read that you cannot drive from midnight to 5 i think? Unless travelling to and from work (which could be useful as I play drums professionally).

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I can't work out from the website if you need P plates and if there are restrictions. Id you were in NSW you would need them. I don't know much about WA so perhaps someone else could comment.
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/20653.asp

Last edited by Steve2009; Oct 28th 2010 at 9:30 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I can't work out from the website if you need P plates and if there are restrictions. Id you were in NSW you would need them. I don't know much about WA so perhaps someone else could comment.
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/20653.asp
From what i've gathered doing a bit of reading. I should be fine as long as I pass my test in England to use my english license, but i will be on P plates, this will only mean i can't travel late and like you said Steve, I cannot drink and drive to any degree.

If anyone has any further information this would be great.

Ps: I am actually also looking at ways to get a permanent visa following that. Does anyone know if THAT will require me to have done a number of years driving?

Any info you can provide would really help me understand the procedure.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

FYI, on blood alcohol this unfortunately will also mean that you will need to be very careful the morning after the night before. There may be other problems such as cough syrup and mouthwash etc.

As for if you transfer to an Aussie license, the restrictions remain the same. I assume this was your question with regard to Permanent Residency. If your query is a general visa enquiry then you should probably put a post in that forum as you will get better responses.

The hire companies through negligence will likely hire to you on a UK license, whether you are insured or not is another question. They definitely will not hire to you if you are on Ps.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20668.asp

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...ws_English.pdf

If you have not held a driver’s licence for at least 6 months (either overseas or in Western Australia), you can only drive between midnight and 5am if you are driving directly to or from work, directly to or from school, or you are driving in the course of your work. You can not drive between midnight and 5am for any other reason.

3. If you have an overseas driver’s licence but have not held it for 2 or more years, or you are under 19 years of age, you will be issued a provisional licence. Your driver’s licence will show when the provisional driving period ends.
Driving on a provisional licence means that:
a) you must display ‘P’ plates on the front and back of your car when you are driving;
b) you must not drive with any alcohol in your blood;
c) if you have not held a driver’s licence for at least 6 months (either overseas or in WA) you can not drive between midnight and 5am, except for particular work or school reasons; and
d) your licence will be cancelled if you commit certain driving offences.

Come to Queensland rather. They don't have that silly rule.

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 29th 2010 at 7:16 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice

I dont think you will need P plates you have a uk license, but the best way to go is buy a car for that you will need to an aussie address, and an aussie license and thats easy, they just want to make it look tough thats what they get paid for here.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paul from Poole
I dont think you will need P plates you have a uk license,
Legally you are required to wear them and to abide by the regulations for them. I don't think it's common knowledge though.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:29 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I would double check that. Was not the case for me when I bought here on the WHV but it was a long time ago.

I think the P Plate thing would only apply if converting an overseas to Aussie license. Car hire companies tend to worry about age ie if you are under 25.
Originally Posted by Paul from Poole
I dont think you will need P plates you have a uk license, but the best way to go is buy a car for that you will need to an aussie address, and an aussie license and thats easy, they just want to make it look tough thats what they get paid for here.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

ireshaun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steen1976
I stand to be corrected but don't believe it will have any bearing on being able to drive there. As long as you have a full licence you are fine.

However you may find rental companies may require x no of years of driving before they will allow you to rent from them.
Hello I have held a full Irish driving licence for 7 years but exchanged it 2 months ago for a british licence, do you think there would be an issue because i haven't held the uk licence for over 2 years?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireshaun
Hello I have held a full Irish driving licence for 7 years but exchanged it 2 months ago for a british licence, do you think there would be an issue because i haven't held the uk licence for over 2 years?
What State are you heading for? (they all have different rules, just to confuse people!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.