Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence in NSW

Driving Licence in NSW

Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Big Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to all
Default Driving Licence in NSW

Heres a quick question. I am in Sydney on a three year 457 visa do I need to get an Australian drivers licence?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Driving Licence in NSW

Originally Posted by Big Man
Heres a quick question. I am in Sydney on a three year 457 visa do I need to get an Australian drivers licence?
No, you don't. As a visitor you can drive on your UK licence, all the time it is valid, and you have a valid Temporary visa.

Permanent Resident
A Permanent Resident is normally allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence.
Visitors
A person on a Temporary or Visitors Visa is allowed to drive a private vehicle on a valid CURRENT driving licence from their own country, for as long as they have a valid visitors visa.
These visiting motorists are required to carry their licence (and English translation if applicable) at all times while driving and produce it to Police on request.
Production of their temporary visas may also be required as evidence of their temporary residential status.

Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Big Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to all

Great, thanks. I have just had to pay a $140 speeding fine and the form says I have to get 2 demerit points! I will give the rta a call in morning to sort that bit out!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:03 am
ABCDiamond

Great, thanks. I have just had to pay a $140 speeding fine and the form says I have to get 2 demerit points! I will give the rta a call in morning to sort that bit out!
They will hold those 2 points against your name, and allocate them to any NSW licence that you may get during the term of your stay here. Should you change to PR for example.

If you reach 12 points, your ability to drive, even on a UK licence, can be terminated.

Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

If you drive a company car etc, their insurance may need you to have an Oz licence. Mine did, even though for now I am 457.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
If you drive a company car etc, their insurance may need you to have an Oz licence. Mine did, even though for now I am 457.
That might cause problems.... You can't get a NSW licence in the first 6 months in a temp visa.

From 18 April 2008, all new NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:

As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.

Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:54 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Ours didn't, UK driving license is considered acceptable. May be insurance or company dependant.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

As same as you, 457 Visa, no license required but I have a RTA Reference Number which means I can get Toll Pass etc and also holds my history if I go Perm. No hassle, just take required documents down to nearest RTA, however, also take down with you a printout of what the RTA requires in its website as there can be 'interpretation' issues with counter attendants!! GRRRRRR!!!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:57 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They will hold those 2 points against your name, and allocate them to any NSW licence that you may get during the term of your stay here. Should you change to PR for example.

If you reach 12 points, your ability to drive, even on a UK licence, can be terminated.
Yep!!! Tis true!! My RTA Reference Number has my Demerit points against it.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

That might cause problems.... You can't get a NSW licence in the first 6 months in a temp visa.
I did, no problem.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:59 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Yep!!! Tis true!! My RTA Reference Number has my Demerit points against it.
So does mine. But luckily my real name is not Boris Yeltsin.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:09 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

I did, no problem.
May I ask how??

All my enquiries to the RTA, verbal, phone and written, have all come up with a resounding No.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:29 am
ABCDiamond

I did, no problem.
Was that before or after 18 April 2008, when the new rule came in ?

Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:37 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Was that before or after 18 April 2008, when the new rule came in ?
ahh.... I arrived in April 2008 so maybe thats why my choice was limited.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

I paid the fine yesterday on line and then called the rta today to see what i had to do to take the demerit points. The bloke said that as I didnt have an Australian licence there was nothing to worry about and they wouldnt apply the points! My lucky day! The initial notice was against the initial hire car we had which was registered to my address in the UK so I think he must have thought we didn't live here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.