Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving from Cairns To Brisbane

Driving from Cairns To Brisbane

Old Jun 17th 2017, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

livbel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving from Cairns To Brisbane

Hi all, i am relocating from Cairns to Brisbane and have decided to drive my car rather than ship it.

Plan is to do the trip over 3 days and wondered if anyone had done this before and can recommend any locations and accomodation for overnight stops please.

thanks in advance
Old Jun 17th 2017, 2:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Cairns To Brisbane

Originally Posted by livbel
Hi all, i am relocating from Cairns to Brisbane and have decided to drive my car rather than ship it.

Plan is to do the trip over 3 days and wondered if anyone had done this before and can recommend any locations and accomodation for overnight stops please.

thanks in advance
Driven from Brisbane to Whitsundays and back before, basically the same thing.

Plenty of opportunities to stop, and things you can see on the way. Best to share driving if possible, and not drive dusk/dawn of course. Having a cruise control is a nice to have.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livbel

thanks in advance
Done the coast trip a couple of times but took a bit longer than 3 days and could recommend staying at any of the following places
Townsville
Airlie Beach
Yepoon
1770/Agnes Waters
Bundaberg/Bargara
Hervey Bay
Noosa
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Drove to Agnes water, 1770 from Brisbane. It doesn't get any more scenic. Postcard beauty.

However Bundaberg is a sh*t hole. Also avoid the rock farm / mystery craters. And the big orange, big banana, big kiwi.

If you want to experience true Australian ugliness drive the route down through Gaynah. Full of depressing small towns with the surly rough local types missing front teeth. etc.

For a chuckle visit Queenslands "wine region" around Nanango.

ISIS and Childers is worth driving though its a very attractive market town.

Mary valley is also nice but touristy and overated full of junky beggars harassing tourists on market days. Consider that fair warning.

Around Esk (road through Dundas) there is some highland-like scenery that if you catch it at the right time in the evening is almost impressive. Worth stopping by to feed the ducks.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

livbel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone - actually decided to freight the car down rather than try to do it in 3 days. Will do the drive one day when have a bit more time ad can enjoy the beauty of QLD more.