Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Downunder' by Bill Bryson

'Downunder' by Bill Bryson

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:13 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Downunder' by Bill Bryson

Any good? Worth a read?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:14 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Downunder' by Bill Bryson

Originally posted by diddy
Any good? Worth a read?

Yes! It's very funny indeed!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:30 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Most definitly, very amusing, a while back there was a one man theatre show of it going round the UK, was excellent.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Any good? Worth a read?
Diddy

There have been a few posts on this in the past. You may find a search worthwhile.

It's very good.

G
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:39 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BKate
Most definitly, very amusing, a while back there was a one man theatre show of it going round the UK, was excellent.
I'd totally forgotten about that. Did you see it at the Wolsey in exotic Ipswich. We couldn't make it.

Paul.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

I thought it was very funny, well worth a read - have you read any of his others? I've read a few of his but stopped after I read Notes from a Small Island (about UK), I found it extremely patronising and couldn't bring myself to read any more of his books until Down Under quite recently.

He does have a morbid fascination with all things poisonous but don't let it put you off.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Keithy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Brilliant read i, m just reading it for the second time.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SamG
I thought it was very funny, well worth a read - have you read any of his others? I've read a few of his but stopped after I read Notes from a Small Island (about UK), I found it extremely patronising and couldn't bring myself to read any more of his books until Down Under quite recently.
yeah, I only read one of his books - about the English Language - and it was soooo patronising I stopped half way thru and that put me off reading any of his stuff again
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:46 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but have you read A Walk in the Woods ? It is probably the funniest books I have ever read..in fact Im going to dig it out now!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I have had this book for over a year and I have only just got around to reading it. It is really funny in some parts.

Great read. Some of the stories he tells make you feel like you are there.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:06 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
yeah, I only read one of his books - about the English Language - and it was soooo patronising I stopped half way thru and that put me off reading any of his stuff again
I'm struggling through that one now. But Down Under is excellent, as is A Brief History of Almost Everything (or a title something similar to that )
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lucyb
Yes but have you read A Walk in the Woods ? It is probably the funniest books I have ever read..in fact Im going to dig it out now!
Yes it was the first book of his I read -I thought it one of the funniest I've read too. I quite enjoyed his other books.It was after reading his reference to Mornington Peninsular in "Down under" that I drove down to see it and stayed 10days!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:00 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SamG

He does have a morbid fascination with all things poisonous but don't let it put you off.

I don't see what was so patronising about Notes From a Small Island. Try reading it agin once you have lived out of the UK for a while. Similarly his book on the english language wasn't patronising, he is after all a native English speaker and journo.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:01 am
owieb

Any good? Worth a read?
We bought the listening version of this for when we drove through France on our way to the Alps to go snow-boarding.

This was about 8 months before we left and neither of us had been to Australia before so it was quite interesting to hear what he had to say.

Though he doesn't really talk about Perth much (which is the main area we were interested in), it's amusing what he does say about the place!

Certainly worth a read.

Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
I don't see what was so patronising about Notes From a Small Island. Try reading it agin once you have lived out of the UK for a while. Similarly his book on the english language wasn't patronising, he is after all a native English speaker and journo.
I found it a tad condescending in its delivery and content. (Languages and evolution/development of language are my subject matter. In hindsight, I probably wasn't the ideal audience for this book.) Perhaps I should give him a second shot and try Down Under!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.