Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Doubts/Panic/Stress etc all normal at this stage?

Are Doubts/Panic/Stress etc all normal at this stage?

Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Unhappy Are Doubts/Panic/Stress etc all normal at this stage?

We are on the visa ladder and just put in the application to the visa agent last week! I am alternating between wanting to be over in Oz living there like we have wanted to do for years, then I start wondering whether we're doing the right thing - worrying about jobs, houses, money etc etc.

I guess the waiting is the worst thing - it reminds me of when I was waiting for the results of an MRI to see if I had a brain tumour!!! Luckily all clear or our medicals would be stuffed!

I'm also really worried about medicals - I left my last job as I was off work for months due to the stress causing panic attacks and making me physically and mentally ill. I'm fine now but I have had a long history of depression and loads of illnesses.

Our visa agent says I'll be fine but I'm really worried we'll get to that point, go for medicals and get turned down because of me

Am I driving myself bonkers worrying un-necessarily do you think?

Any advice very gratefully received!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Doubts/Panic/Stress etc all normal at this stage?

can't give you advice i'm afraid

i hope it's all normal - i've just had the worst day in my life ever! a couple of hiccups right at the final hurdle but hopefully by tomorrow all will be sorted!

good luck!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:55 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

well i for one have had exactly the same thoughts as yourself, and i dont think we are unique

i think it is only natural to deliberate over whether it is the right thing to do or not at some stage. i even go from one minute to the next worrying about it

dont get too stressed on these thoughts, it will make you worse. sit back and revel in the knowledge that you are not on your own, and take each day as it comes.

k sent for you to de-stress
xx
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:59 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
We are on the visa ladder and just put in the application to the visa agent last week! I am alternating between wanting to be over in Oz living there like we have wanted to do for years, then I start wondering whether we're doing the right thing - worrying about jobs, houses, money etc etc.

I guess the waiting is the worst thing - it reminds me of when I was waiting for the results of an MRI to see if I had a brain tumour!!! Luckily all clear or our medicals would be stuffed!

I'm also really worried about medicals - I left my last job as I was off work for months due to the stress causing panic attacks and making me physically and mentally ill. I'm fine now but I have had a long history of depression and loads of illnesses.

Our visa agent says I'll be fine but I'm really worried we'll get to that point, go for medicals and get turned down because of me

I could have written that thread myself (well except the MRI business - glad you're sorted). I go from elation at the prospect of moving, to the worst fear and stress which gives me horrendous migraines. I guess we just have to remind ourselves it'll be worth it, and hey, if it's not then we come back, with a lot less cash, but without havign to live a life wondering what if!!

Feel free to pm if you want to rant.

Gill
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:00 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
can't give you advice i'm afraid

i hope it's all normal - i've just had the worst day in my life ever! a couple of hiccups right at the final hurdle but hopefully by tomorrow all will be sorted!

good luck!
Sounds horrible - what's happened? Anything we can help with?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

Okay, first things first, right after you read this, I recommend you go out and buy a bottle of high potency vitamin B tablets,and some resue remedy, and a really funny book. I'm not kidding, all those things put together, on a daily basis, can really help with anxiety. I'm naturally anxious and I do that everyday, and excercise and drink tea's with no caffeine, it will truly help. On the other hand, it's very normal to be worried about the unknown, but you have to let the excitement outway the worry. What difference will worrying make? None. Whatever is going to happen will happen, you can only put in the application, do the medicals and see what happens. Yes, it's a big step and it makes sense to question ourselves when we're making such a huge change in our lives, but sometimes it's best just to enjoy the journey. I have a 5 year old that loves 'finding nemo', and I often find myself thinking I have to be a little more Dory and a little less Marlin. If you've seen the movie, I'm sure you'll be able to relate.

Nicanjoe
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Sounds horrible - what's happened? Anything we can help with?

no just evil aducation providers in australia changing their minds at the last minute.

to cut a long story short they asked for a certificate which i didn't have, they said i need it before i start course etc etc etc... have been told certificate would take 4-6 weeks which is obv not enough time - but after a lot of faffing i got a certification summary to send off and a note from the certificate people over here saying it's as valid as a certifiacate.

we also had duff info (from an AGENT!!!!) about student visas but after an email to australia high commission it's sorted.... we hope!

AND.... silly dog who failed her blood test 2 weeks ago was tested again today so fingers crossed she passes and we get the results by friday/sat

apoligies to OP for thread hijacking!

i'm off for a pint!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

We have a similar problem

I have been unable work for the last 6 months due to ill health, first with a suspect brain tumour, I was then diagnosed with ME,

Due to this I lost my job and we I found out last week I may not have had ME at all but have had an allergic reaction to a steroid nasal spray I was taking. So we are on the road to recovery.

The problem is my medical records still show a diagnosis of ME.

We are just taking one stage at a time, skills have been assessed, main application should be going in next week and I will just wait to see what’s said.

When we are request to have the meds I will list everything down and discuss it with the doc and again wait to see that is said. If it’s a know I will challenge it the necessary report to get through

It is point less worrying as that is a good 4 to 6 months away for us and what will be will be.

At the end of the day I am very luck to have 2 wonderful children and the wife is ok for an olden

My advise it just take one step at a time
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

viccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jon and zen amethyst, my advice is taek a deep breath and try not to worry, there's nothing more you can do about it.
We went thru this with myself and my partner. He hasn't worked for 4yrs at all as has Fibromyalgia and I've been off with chronic uncontrollable neck and back pain, nothing on my MRI either thank goodness, and associated depression and stress from a combination of his and my problems!
We were dreading the meds, both being slightly overweight from comfort eating, he's a smoker and I'm needle phobic and get high blood pressure, what a pair!

We passed, shock horror! Couldn't believe even tho LCU in Sydney said they'd cleared the meds after the 2d we still thought the case officer would put a stop to it, but next thing , 3mths earlier than expected, we got our visas, we'd frontloaded so they're be lots of time to sort out all the medical queries we were sure there would be!

So no matter how crap you think you are and how unlikely you think a pass will be, you've got to give it a shot as what have you got to lose except your chance at a visa. Do however admit everything, but perhaps gloss the details a bit was what our agent told us! If the panel doctor asks then answer truthfully but don;t volunteer.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest, good luck, and see you on the other side
Claire
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:35 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by YoSemite
no just evil aducation providers in australia changing their minds at the last minute.

to cut a long story short they asked for a certificate which i didn't have, they said i need it before i start course etc etc etc... have been told certificate would take 4-6 weeks which is obv not enough time - but after a lot of faffing i got a certification summary to send off and a note from the certificate people over here saying it's as valid as a certifiacate.

we also had duff info (from an AGENT!!!!) about student visas but after an email to australia high commission it's sorted.... we hope!

AND.... silly dog who failed her blood test 2 weeks ago was tested again today so fingers crossed she passes and we get the results by friday/sat

apoligies to OP for thread hijacking!

i'm off for a pint!
Nothing like a bit of stress to focus the mind eh? Hope your dog's results come through OK.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:37 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by jonjon
We have a similar problem

I have been unable work for the last 6 months due to ill health, first with a suspect brain tumour, I was then diagnosed with ME,

Due to this I lost my job and we I found out last week I may not have had ME at all but have had an allergic reaction to a steroid nasal spray I was taking. So we are on the road to recovery.

The problem is my medical records still show a diagnosis of ME.

We are just taking one stage at a time, skills have been assessed, main application should be going in next week and I will just wait to see what’s said.

When we are request to have the meds I will list everything down and discuss it with the doc and again wait to see that is said. If it’s a know I will challenge it the necessary report to get through

It is point less worrying as that is a good 4 to 6 months away for us and what will be will be.

At the end of the day I am very luck to have 2 wonderful children and the wife is ok for an olden

My advise it just take one step at a time
Yikes, you've fairly been through the mill. Hope your medicals all go OK.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:41 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by viccollie
Hi Jon and zen amethyst, my advice is taek a deep breath and try not to worry, there's nothing more you can do about it.
We went thru this with myself and my partner. He hasn't worked for 4yrs at all as has Fibromyalgia and I've been off with chronic uncontrollable neck and back pain, nothing on my MRI either thank goodness, and associated depression and stress from a combination of his and my problems!
We were dreading the meds, both being slightly overweight from comfort eating, he's a smoker and I'm needle phobic and get high blood pressure, what a pair!

We passed, shock horror! Couldn't believe even tho LCU in Sydney said they'd cleared the meds after the 2d we still thought the case officer would put a stop to it, but next thing , 3mths earlier than expected, we got our visas, we'd frontloaded so they're be lots of time to sort out all the medical queries we were sure there would be!

So no matter how crap you think you are and how unlikely you think a pass will be, you've got to give it a shot as what have you got to lose except your chance at a visa. Do however admit everything, but perhaps gloss the details a bit was what our agent told us! If the panel doctor asks then answer truthfully but don;t volunteer.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest, good luck, and see you on the other side
Claire
Congrats on getting your visas. You say you were both a little overweight - do you know how much overweight is allowed before it is considered a problem visa wise?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wait 'til there's a month to go like us ...

It's an emotional rollercoaster. We are going through everything:

Stress
Excitement
Anxiety
Excitement
Worry
Excitement
Should we ?
Excitement
Shouldn't we ?
Excitement

But most of all nervous anticipation.

The major wobbles haven't even kicked in yet ...

Three Legs

Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

viccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura about

Hi Herrchook, apparently it's a BMI greater than 30 with associated signs of eitehr high BP,heart disease,liver Disease,mobility probs or diabetes that give them the shivers. Someone said that when they were queried on their weight they said that they had actually lost 2 stone already, apparently not true!!!

anyway alot depends on your doctor and how busy they are or dedicated to the cause, pray for a tired GP not a keen aussie locum!

no worries mate, you'll be fine and it's easier than you think, Claire
Though of course everyone thinks they're going to fail
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by herrchook
Yikes, you've fairly been through the mill. Hope your medicals all go OK.
i am sure everything will turn out fine in the end and at the end of the day i have 2 wonderful children who are healthy and well and that is all that matters.

Its times like this that put your life into perspective I know make the most of what I have as it all to easy to forget what you have until it is to late.

Good new is have an interview in an hour you never know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.