Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't Come to Australia

Don't Come to Australia

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:21 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Come to Australia

I'll swap you. Libya is lovely.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spart
Ballox!! I have never met (or heard of) a public servant in Australia asking for backsheesh.
Fees for services perhaps - every permit, licence, registration or other costs money. Is the OP seriously suggesting that you would get a drivers licence issued for free in England?

Local councils of unpaid members on the other hand have been shown as open to influence, especially of the property developer type in western and southern Sydney.
It seems to be business as usual in NSW.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

2 months!? Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:55 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newbie_and_Leaving
I've been in Melbourne two months, my experiences:

1. Customs & Excise charge the earth for inspection and do not do their job. They are trying to charge me $850 for destroying a plastic bucket that they say contains "traces of chemicals" - it's detergent you morons!!
It's not Customs & Excise it's AQIS & yep they are a bit hit & miss regarding the stupid things they pick on sometimes, fair point.

2. Job agents are the worst I have ever encountered, bad manners is just one of their traits.
I've met damn rude ones & very nice ones, you must have had a couple of bad ones.

3. Tram inspectors behave like The Gestapo and are racist, they bully old people and are afraid of youths who DO evade paying.
Can't comment, to young to remember trams in the U.K & never been on one in Melbourne.

4. The train operators cannot even gets their clocks in synch let alone run a service!
Same problem worldwide with probably one or two notable exceptions.

5. An internet connection is the most expensive of any of the 6 countries I have lived in.
Fair point, it's the same for me. Internet costs are outrageous

6. The Govt allow a duopoly for the supermarkets, therefore any item is twice the price it should be.
Yep, again no argument from me, very expensive & quick to rip off the consumer. i.e $20.00 per kilo for bananas because a small proportion of the growing region was affected by a cyclone

7. Every public official I have had to deal with wants money to do their job.
A little backhander to smooth the way, everyone needs a little extra cash now & then, they may have a banana fetish

And I haven't even started on the cost to live here....
Well it's certainly not the cheap place it was 8 years ago, it's not that different to similar economies.

Australia - great place to holiday a nightmare to live, I'm off and so is my taxable income.
It's not for everyone, I love it though despite it's problems, they outweigh the ones elsewhere that I've considered.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
2 months!? Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
I've seen backpackers with more commitment to becoming citizens
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:03 am
Account Closed

I was impressed with the peeps who gave up after a week and a half in Mornington.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I was impressed with the peeps who gave up after a week and a half in Mornington.
And also that poor family where the hubby got arrested on their validation trip
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
And also that poor family where the hubby got arrested on their validation trip
Was that the one in Qld where he was fighting with the locals?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:19 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was a pre-requisite for a Visa?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

After 7+ years in Queensland my trip to the Mornington Peninsular last August was the coldest that I can ever remember being in my life. I even had to sip beer at Hevs house as it was to cold to gulp
I swear there was icicles on the rails down at Fort Nepean
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:22 am

Do tell us more ML
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:24 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one. He was breaking up a fight and the cops arrested him.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:27 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
That's the one. He was breaking up a fight and the cops arrested him.
In my defence, your Honour, one of them Queenslander fellows claimed to be the Prime Minister of Australia, so I was attempting to detain him for impersonating an elected official.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
Ballox!! I have never met (or heard of) a public servant in Australia asking for backsheesh.
Fees for services perhaps - every permit, licence, registration or other costs money. Is the OP seriously suggesting that you would get a drivers licence issued for free in England?

Local councils of unpaid members on the other hand have been shown as open to influence, especially of the property developer type in western and southern Sydney.
The UK also has the ultimate bullshit, bureaucratic tax in the world - the TV 'licence'.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The UK also has the ultimate bullshit, bureaucratic tax in the world - the TV 'licence'.
Worth every bloody penny, once you see what you get without that licence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.