Don't belong

Old Feb 15th 2017, 5:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't belong

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nope, football will always be football to the majority of Brits Its like 'think of Christmas, and your mind instinctively says December" Its what you grow up with, ingrained in you!
Soccer is a word that the English invented (it came out of association football) in the 19th century and have used it ever since but in recent years have got a bit precious and snooty about it (despite one of the most popular TV shows about the game called Soccer AM on Skysports)

Pathetic - get over yourselves

Old Feb 15th 2017, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Soccer is a word that the English invented (it came out of association football) in the 19th century and have used it ever since but in recent years have got a bit precious and snooty about it (despite one of the most popular TV shows about the game called Soccer AM on Skysports)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've never understood the negativity. Association Football is one of many football codes and we're lucky to have so many in Australia.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of humour I have laughed at many an Aussie comedian on those evening sessions they do from that theatre venue. It's as black and as wry as English. I never liked English sarcasm and don't miss that one iota. But black deadpan humour travels across borders.

The only problem with Aussie humour is when you find it copying US faux-irony on the tabloid channels but that is what you get if you patronise that format. The thing to remember about Australian life is there are many traditional Anglo groups : it's not all foreign and that you don't have to be part of the mainstream or tabloid.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Football/soccer - they're only words. I find it easier to say football in the UK (referring to the round ball game) because it saves having to explain what I mean. When in Oz, I also say football and everyone knows automatically that I'm referring to AFL. I'm all for an easy life.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to call it what you want..... The people I associate with and talk with all call it football... Foxtel also calls it Football. It's a bit difficult to change something that you've been into fairly hardcore since 1967. It's one handle that is probably changing in Aus though. It'll take a while, but well on the way now.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/watch/a-league.html
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Feel free to call it what you want..... The people I associate with and talk with all call it football... Foxtel also calls it Football. It's a bit difficult to change something that you've been into fairly hardcore since 1967. It's one handle that is probably changing in Aus though. It'll take a while, but well on the way now.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/watch/a-league.html
Indeed. I was just pointing out that the British invented the word soccer, used it for decades but recently got a bit precious and get a bit shirty when it's used. That's all, everything else is details
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Indeed. I was just pointing out that the British invented the word soccer, used it for decades but recently got a bit precious and get a bit shirty when it's used. That's all, everything else is details
Incredible really...!