Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

don’t know if it is all worth it

don’t know if it is all worth it

Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:03 am
Just Joined

itaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant future
Default Re: don’t know if it is all worth it

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
Here goes

We started looking into moving to Australia about 4 years ago and went on holiday to see what it was like and to help us make up our mind if we really wanted to go or not. We travelled from Sydney up to cairns and over 3 weeks had a really good time. We met some of my partners distant family in Brisbane and had a nice time, we also stayed at Hervey bay and liked that area.
As soon as we got back from the hols we started the visa process, I’m a carpenter so we went for the 136 skilled independent. It took some time but we got the visa no problems. So we put the house up for sale and I started applying for jobs, pretty some we had a buyer for the house and I had got a job on the gold coast. Then just as we where about to exchange contracts they pulled out (ahhhhh). We had already booked flights and arranged shipment of all out things, gutted. Luckily we had paid extra insurance just incase we had to cancel the shipment but we had to use the flights because it was now the 20th Aug and we had to validate the visas before the 16th Sept.
We went to Auz and had another 3 week holiday, again meeting family and I went to meet my future boss as he was very understanding about the house falling through (1st time) and said he would hold the job for me.
When we go back to the Uk we had another buyer and started going through the motions again only to be let down twice more.
Three sales fallen through and one year later we were starting to think about giving up. Then someone put another offer on the house in Jan 2008, things seem to be going OK with the house and we are hoping to exchange this week, but I no longer have the job that I was offered as my employer gave up after the last time the house fall through, so we have no idea where about in Auz we are heading to.
We liked Hervey bay and Brisbane but don’t know what to do or where to go.
My farther in law is hoping to emigrate to Auz and will be looking at getting a sponsor in a regional area so we are now starting to sway towards Hervey bay but nothing is definite
After all the ups and downs its starting to take its toll on us and now we just don’t know if it is all worth it. I keep telling myself and my partner that it is worth it, but its really getting to us now
Anyway that’s how its been for us,
Lee

P.S. And to top it all off I now have some grey hairs (Ahhhhhhhhhh)

gosh that all brings back memories for me. Our sale fell through 3 times and lots of other problems and one nightmare along the way and I was left asking is it all worth it. All I can say is it was all totally worth it and have been in Brisbane for 2 1/2 years now. You are bound to get stressed out by it all but just keep your feet on the ground and live for the day knowing that you will get here one day.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:21 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Give what a try? Hull? Thinking? Moving?

I just don't do happy clappy smilie faces, cyberhugs (Jesus ...) and another 'Good Luck!', but maybe that's all people want to hear these days.

It boils down to this rather raw truth ...

If someone doesn't know if it's worth up-rooting their world and have to turn to this forum for advice then there is a probably a decent reason behind the scenes for not doing it. Which will in all likelihood not be helped by another mindless 'Go For It!'.
Oooo lots of material here for reasoned debate so here goes....

Well firstly I have to say I am speaking as someone for who migration did NOT work - I pretty much wanted to go back to the UK after 2 weeks in Perth and after 2 years in Oz and a LOT of arguing we all came back to the UK and rebuilt our lives here.

Having been through the whole process I can totally see where Vim is coming from - you have to be 100% totally committed and prepared for all the things that can and do go wrong and all the associated risks, a mere 'go for it' really doesn't cut the mustard. It was and still is the most stressful and emotional draining (and the most financially expensive) thing we have ever done in our lives.

HOWEVER I can also totally identify with the 'how do you know if you never give it a try' school of thought. If we had not have done the whole Oz thing I would still be sat here moaning my arse off about the UK and how crap my life is. However now I can see all the great stuff about our lives in the UK that I just did not see before migartion. So although Oz did not work out for us, in some ways it has been a sucess as it totally turned our lives around.

But there is another however.....for others there are costs to emigration that can never be recouped, financial ruin, breakdown of relationshsips, children spilt from their families due to parents wanting to be in one country and the child wanting to be in another..... So I guess the message is think long and hard, if you are willing to take the risks and you are willing to weather the hard times then the whole 'go for it' is probably a good adage to follow. If you are not 100% committed before you have even left the UK then perhaps you should really re-think the whole thing.

On a final note to anyone considering migration, I have to say once you step on the whole migration roller coaster your life will change forever, one way or another, if you are not ready for that then really do think again.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:09 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
Very unfortunate, they should change the law in Englandshire, in Scotland there is no "property chain", if you put in an offer to buy, you have to, even if you're own house sale falls through.
No you don't - that's a very common misunderstanding. In Scotland, just as in England, the house is not sold until it is "sold". Either party can pull out at any time up to final signing.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:13 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
No you don't - that's a very common misunderstanding. In Scotland, just as in England, the house is not sold until it is "sold". Either party can pull out at any time up to final signing.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pommybird

Well firstly I have to say I am speaking as someone for who migration did NOT work - I pretty much wanted to go back to the UK after 2 weeks in Perth and after 2 years in Oz and a LOT of arguing we all came back to the UK and rebuilt our lives here.

Having been through the whole process I can totally see where Vim is coming from - you have to be 100% totally committed and prepared for all the things that can and do go wrong and all the associated risks, a mere 'go for it' really doesn't cut the mustard. It was and still is the most stressful and emotional draining (and the most financially expensive) thing we have ever done in our lives.

HOWEVER I can also totally identify with the 'how do you know if you never give it a try' school of thought. If we had not have done the whole Oz thing I would still be sat here moaning my arse off about the UK and how crap my life is. However now I can see all the great stuff about our lives in the UK that I just did not see before migartion. So although Oz did not work out for us, in some ways it has been a sucess as it totally turned our lives around.

But there is another however.....for others there are costs to emigration that can never be recouped, financial ruin, breakdown of relationshsips, children spilt from their families due to parents wanting to be in one country and the child wanting to be in another..... So I guess the message is think long and hard, if you are willing to take the risks and you are willing to weather the hard times then the whole 'go for it' is probably a good adage to follow. If you are not 100% committed before you have even left the UK then perhaps you should really re-think the whole thing.

On a final note to anyone considering migration, I have to say once you step on the whole migration roller coaster your life will change forever, one way or another, if you are not ready for that then really do think again.
Excellent post! ...

Personally I think no1 reason has to be the weather. That way you shouldn't be disappointed ...

A new start, something different, different surroundings, get away from old job, better life for the kids, and all the rest ... yes too! ... but for us the UK weather has a detrimental effect of both of our lives so as I say for us it WAS the weather being no1 ... and we're happy ...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:45 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup to all of that
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of

Well for us we have no children we are in a financially good position and this life is for living so if we give it a try and we don’t like it, we have lost nothing and gained something and if we love it, we have gained something and lost nothing. At the end of the day its only money and you cant take it with you when your gone
Lee
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant Post, M
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
This was true for us, house sale fell through twice. Depressing stuff.

M
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:01 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
Well for us we have no children we are in a financially good position and this life is for living so if we give it a try and we don’t like it, we have lost nothing and gained something and if we love it, we have gained something and lost nothing. At the end of the day its only money and you cant take it with you when your gone
Lee
It certainly is easier with no kids in tow - good luck with it all