doggy problems?

Old Sep 18th 2004, 1:09 pm
zrx
Just Joined

zrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default doggy problems?

Hi, I wonder if anyone out there could share their experiences with me in relation to emigrating to New Zealand with the family pet dog.

My main concern is that we are hoping to rent somewhere furnished in the Christchurch area. Is having a dog likely to result in many landlords refusing to let to us?
Please let me know of your relevant experiences - including any tips re emmigration with pets.

Many thanks ZRX
Old Sep 18th 2004, 1:46 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: doggy problems?

Here's a link to a similar thread...

newfoundland dogs to new zealand

Failing that, try doing a search for "Dog new zealand" in this forum. It brings up quite a few helpful threads.

Sorry I can't help more.

Siren
Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:55 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

we brought our dog out to NZ no probs at all.

Getting a rental was easier than we thought, but I think we were lucky. Try this website www.holidayhomes.co.nz... alot of them will allow a dog and it would be a good base until you get a rental. Dont be put off if they say no dogs email them nicely.,..... they sometimes come around. We had the choice of 3.

PM me if you need more info.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:34 pm
zrx
Just Joined

zrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Thanks very much for the reassuring message and tip about emailing, I will remember that.

Cheers ZRX
Old Sep 19th 2004, 1:21 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by zrx
Hi, I wonder if anyone out there could share their experiences with me in relation to emigrating to New Zealand with the family pet dog.

My main concern is that we are hoping to rent somewhere furnished in the Christchurch area. Is having a dog likely to result in many landlords refusing to let to us?
Please let me know of your relevant experiences - including any tips re emmigration with pets.

Many thanks ZRX
Just read your post. I have some information on pet export, the booklet i have written is really aimed at australia, but the websites could be useful. If you would like it, send me a pm and ill email it to you Wednesday (im in canada at the mo).

Love sam

Old Sep 19th 2004, 7:02 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Hiya

I bought my ESS to NZ and have not had any major problems finding a fully furnished ( and that means towels, sheets EVERYTHING!!! here) house that lets her inside on two occasions.

The first (which we lived in for six months until the owner came back from Tassy) took two hours and the second about a week.

Tips re emigrating with your pets - they get mega dehydrated so if you have to travel with your dog from the airport to home make sure you have plenty of water. Give them little and often. Also prepare yourself that your dogs may look a state when he/she comes out the crate. Mine looked like she was on her last legs - covered in runny poos and very scared but within a few hours she was looking perkier and by the next morning she was her usual madcap self.

The only other thing I have found is that Bracken has developed hayfever because she is not used to the plants she bombs about in on her walks. The vets reckons she should get used to them and grown out of it in a couple of years or so.

If you want to know anything else about bringing a dog to NZ, plea feel free to PM me.