Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:16 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
I did try to do a search as I know I have read about it before but I can never get the bloody thing to work properly!!

Anyway want to know do I need to buy Tom Tom here in Australia for it to work in Australia, or if I buy it in the UK will it work here!! DOes that make sense??
Hi ya

I was in Dick Smith today (like curry's) and here are the prices for their GPS

Navman icn 330 $488
Tom Tom GO710 $949
Tom Tom One $686
Garmin C320 Street Pilot $878
Navma icn530 $649

One of the cheapest places I found in the UK was http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Check them out. 'Apperently' you can download the Australia maps from the internet (or I'll email them to you) but I understand they will only work on a PDA running MS Pocket Windows not a Tom Tom unit. Put it this way, they work on my PDA with out any problem.

Neil.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 12:45 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi ya

Navman icn 330 $488
Tom Tom GO710 $949
Tom Tom One $686
Navma icn530 $649

One of the cheapest places I found in the UK was http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Check them out. 'Apperently' you can download the Australia maps from the internet (or I'll email them to you) but I understand they will only work on a PDA running MS Pocket Windows not a Tom Tom unit. Put it this way, they work on my PDA with out any problem.

Neil.
I got the same system and its been great for finding our way around .
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:41 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
I have read quite a few reveiws about the N70 with tomtom & I havent noticed any major flaws.
Check the Nokia forum for several long rants about bluetooth problems.

Annoyances for me:
  1. TomTom locks when turning on POI
  2. Hands-free mic is poor (compared to K710)
  3. Image quality is poor (compared to K710 which has a LOWER pixel count)
  4. Volume control does not work during calls when using Telediscount (free calls to NZ/OZ)
  5. Forwarding text messages to same recipient takes 10 clicks (2 in K710)
  6. Startup is the slowest I've ever experienced (45 secs)
  7. After startup, signal exists for a second, then disappears for a while before coming back so making a call from a turned off mobile is frustrating.
  8. Nokia PC suite disconnects after about 4 minutes with bluetooth so music transfers need to use USB

Of course, some of these things won't bother some people, depending on how they use it.

Would I pick another phone? Well, no. Why? Because there isn't another phone which is free on contract on O2 (free 0845 calls, handset not locked), is TomTom compatible, has FM radio, a (relatively) decent camera and has a memory slot. Oh, plus I have about 7 months left on my contract .
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi ya

Navman icn 330 $488
Tom Tom GO710 $949
Tom Tom One $686
Navma icn530 $649

Neil.
Speaking as a complete novice on this subject(and looking at the prices you've supplied) would i be correct in assuming it would be lots cheaper to buy a PDA and the maps rather than buy the TOM TOM.Would there be any pitfalls by doing this or would it work just as well
cheers neil regards bobby
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:54 pm
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Originally Posted by The Genie
Thanks, but I am using Medion Navigator on my PDA as the latest Tom Tom does not seem to recognise my GPS receiver. If someone can help with getting it working on Tom Tom, I would appreciate it. My receiver is a RoyalTek RGM-2000. I have used the settings described on the RoyalTek website, but to no avail.
If anyone has a RoyalTek GPS receiver that they cannot get working in TomTom 5, let me know as I have now managed it and it isn't straight forward.