Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:14 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Had a TomTom Go! 510, purchased nice and cheap in the UK in an introductory sale. Bought the Australian maps when we got here - they were pretty expensive, but you can't use 'bent' maps with the full TomTom units. Have no problem with the unit itself, it's incredibly configurable, but the maps have their moments. At least when the map *is* updated, I'll be able to just download the new version.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:20 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
I have this one, and works fab. N70
Yeah, that's the one I have. Does it work fine with POI turned on? I had to follow specific instructions to ensure bluetooth doesn't disconnect which includes turning off POI. This is just a problem with the N70 apparently, other compatible Nokias are fine. In fact, if it wasn't for TomTom I would have been better off with a less annoying phone like an SE W800.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:55 am
Just Joined

zakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
I did try to do a search as I know I have read about it before but I can never get the bloody thing to work properly!!

Anyway want to know do I need to buy Tom Tom here in Australia for it to work in Australia, or if I buy it in the UK will it work here!! DOes that make sense??
Hi i spoke TOM TOM a few days ago and asked the same qustion ,they said there GO range does work in OZ all you have to is go online and down load the OZ map. i have bought the GO 910 and downloaded the OZ map. the satnav itself works very well here in the uk ,we are due to go to OZ mid october so fingers crossed we wont get lost
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:17 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I have Tom Tom on my mobile phone with a GPS box

(Jockstar, Tom Tom is a satellite navigation system that tells you where to go rather than reading maps, so it's better for girls, like me!!!! )

We went to Florida earlier this year and downloaded the maps for there, it worked just fine..... you can get Oz maps too, so no problems in transfering over. Which is good, because, quite frankly I couldn't be without it now. Especially if I get a job doing medical repping in QLD!!

Ali
Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:12 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, we bought our tom tom in the uk, downloaded maps for Aus on the internet, cost about £100.00. hubby said better buying here as obviously have aus map already on. tom tom and garmin both work out here,

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Cool. I dont know if Garmin works in Aus though !

I am going to look into it on Sunday and I will post back then what I have found. I am going to buy one before I leave also, and hopefully get the maps loaded onto it so it's all ready to go.

Cheers
Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:29 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Genie
Hi,

I cannot get TomTom working on my PDA (I think it is the GPS receiver that is not recognised) and have to use Medion instead. Does anyone know if maps are available for that one as I cannot find any?

I have tried their web site btw and they don't list it so I am assuming not, but you never know.
Hi there

I have the TOM TOM Australia maps for a PDA, running Windows.
If you need a copy, drop me a email and I'll email them to you. Due to the size 85MB I'll have to send them via an ftp web site as it's too big as an email atachment.

Neil.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
I did try to do a search as I know I have read about it before but I can never get the bloody thing to work properly!!

Anyway want to know do I need to buy Tom Tom here in Australia for it to work in Australia, or if I buy it in the UK will it work here!! DOes that make sense??
Flicking through the local papers in Bris last month it struck me that prices were generally lower for this sort of thing over there than over here. No hard evidence and I can't remember the numbers now, it was just a gut feeling. There was also a brand I'd never heard of which was even cheaper.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it might be better for you to wait until you get there!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:16 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fnord
Yeah, that's the one I have. Does it work fine with POI turned on? I had to follow specific instructions to ensure bluetooth doesn't disconnect which includes turning off POI. This is just a problem with the N70 apparently, other compatible Nokias are fine. In fact, if it wasn't for TomTom I would have been better off with a less annoying phone like an SE W800.
I havent used it too much to find out, and also my Navman GPS isn't compatible with the N70, so I need to buy a new GPS first.

I have read quite a few reveiws about the N70 with tomtom & I havent noticed any major flaws.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:56 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Genie
Hi,

I cannot get TomTom working on my PDA (I think it is the GPS receiver that is not recognised) and have to use Medion instead. Does anyone know if maps are available for that one as I cannot find any?

I have tried their web site btw and they don't list it so I am assuming not, but you never know.
map for tom tom nav 5 on torrentspy.com

you will need bitlord 1.1 to download it

apparently

Last edited by cresta57; Sep 1st 2006 at 10:09 pm. Reason: breach of forum rules
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:05 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
[
and for the mobiler users tomtom Oz mobile

torrentz.com

Last edited by cresta57; Sep 1st 2006 at 10:10 pm. Reason: remove parts of original quote
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:12 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

and for the mobiler users tomtom Oz mobile

torrentz.com
i see your still hanging around
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:14 pm
Going for a ride

i see your still hanging around
I can't help it.

I gave up drugs and smoking, so that just leaves getting drunk while playing on BE
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:02 am
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

you will need bitlord 1.1 to download it

apparently
Thanks, but I am using Medion Navigator on my PDA as the latest Tom Tom does not seem to recognise my GPS receiver. If someone can help with getting it working on Tom Tom, I would appreciate it. My receiver is a RoyalTek RGM-2000. I have used the settings described on the RoyalTek website, but to no avail.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly you need a "smart phone"

Nokia have a couple in the N "series"

They then have the possibility to install tom tom (or similar)

Once installed, you still need a GPS receiver. about 50 pounds plus. Maps can be bought online (or downloaded)

I have this one, and works fab. N70
We looked into buying the N70 from the UK, getting it unlocked and then using it in Oz.

After having made many calls to unlocking shops, network providers and also having trawled mobile phone forums, we found out the following:

1. The N70 and other Nokia Smartphones cannot be unlocked by anyone other than the service provider IF they provided YOU with the phone on contract.

2. If you satisfy the above, you can request an unlock code, which will be posted to you after a few weeks.

3. It's best to buy an already unlocked phone (but be careful as some of those advertised on Ebay as unlocked are infact simlocked).

I guess we'll just have to pay the premium and buy a more expenive N70 when we get to Oz

Good Luck
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:31 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
We looked into buying the N70 from the UK, getting it unlocked and then using it in Oz.

After having made many calls to unlocking shops, network providers and also having trawled mobile phone forums, we found out the following:

1. The N70 and other Nokia Smartphones cannot be unlocked by anyone other than the service provider IF they provided YOU with the phone on contract.

2. If you satisfy the above, you can request an unlock code, which will be posted to you after a few weeks.

3. It's best to buy an already unlocked phone (but be careful as some of those advertised on Ebay as unlocked are infact simlocked).

I guess we'll just have to pay the premium and buy a more expenive N70 when we get to Oz

Good Luck
I bought mine here in Holland and paid top money as well, but when I leave, at least I dont need to hand it back to the boss.

It might be worth looking out for a special offer as the N70 has been out for a while, they should be getting a bit cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.