Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does only Sydney have unsafe suburbs?

Does only Sydney have unsafe suburbs?

Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does only Sydney have unsafe suburbs?

Originally Posted by DadAgain
It was the X5 drivers (and the A6s and Lexus princesses etc etc ) I was worried about - definately not bogan - but not 'welcoming'. I felt like I'd be shot for not dressing well enough or making the place look too untidy.
It's not nearly as snooty as the somewhere like Clayfield. Other than some of the river avenues I don't think it looks that flash - even on those streets there are a fair few dilapidated old houses.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide has a few dodgy areas that you would do well to avoid. I wouldnt name any but areas with high level public housing can be dodgy, an unfair stereotype maybe but when the Govt houses people with drug/alcohol and mental health issues all in the same suburb, chaos follows and theres no reasoning with a newly parolled, drunken, schizophrenic meth-head.

Adelaide can be deceiving, with its leafy streets and 'city of churches' label but it hides a lot of disappearances and grisly murders. So whilst you may not have your manbag snatched, you may well be bundled into a van and then dismembered.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble

Adelaide can be deceiving, with its leafy streets and 'city of churches' label but it hides a lot of disappearances and grisly murders. So whilst you may not have your manbag snatched, you may well be bundled into a van and then dismembered.
That's just Adelaide's attempt to seem dark and mysterious
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
It was the X5 drivers (and the A6s and Lexus princesses etc etc ) I was worried about - definately not bogan - but not 'welcoming'. I felt like I'd be shot for not dressing well enough or making the place look too untidy.

My point I guess is that the perception of safety is dependent enormously on your own state of mind and appearance. A guy in a suit driving a Mercedes might feel a little nervous parking up next to the armour plated petrol station in Logan - but the scruffy backpacker might hardly notice (Brisbane grim bits, really arent that grim). By comparison the scruffy backacker might well feel 'on edge' in the 'rich white ghettos' worrid about being swept up by Police, called in by over-anxious curtain twitchers wondering why such a vagrant type would be strolling around their patch of privately owned meticulously manicured street.

...I have of course become far more respectable these days and no longer fear middle class warriors. (but I still dont fear urban degredation environments either)
Yeah, just meant the stares of the snobs wouldn't kill you but their 4wd's would

I was there fairly recently on a sunny day and couldn't help thinking what a thoroughly "pleasant" place it is....cafe's full, people having a afternoon boogie on the terraces, parks full of kids and teenagers, lovely trees, sun shining, some interesting character homes, citycat ferry to the city at the end of the street....bit like Brisbane really....long time until it is as exciting and edgy as bigger cities like Sydney and Melbourne but often is just a thoroughly pleasant place to live....suits people past partying age the most I imagine who possibly have families and just want day to day pleasant (some really sweaty summer days excepted)...
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Perth certainly has some 'dodgy' areas.

Some that spring to mind:

Balga
Armadale
Bassendean
Cloverdale
Balcatta
Add Gosnells to your list.
I live about 15 minutes from Midland and parts of that are pretty dodgy.