Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone on here have the ear of anyone..

Does anyone on here have the ear of anyone..

Old Aug 11th 2017, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone on here have the ear of anyone..

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, Its shocking.
5 months at the time when we applied was nearly a show stopper for us. I had a transfer offer. I was able to push out the transfer so it worked with the time frame approval. But only just. I think there was a month when I was in Oz and wife was still in UK. Any longer we would have just said forget it. The wife also had a job offer and they too were waiting on the visa approval. We even thought about 457 for her but that was a short term fix with a long term headache.

Hardly a way to bring home talented Aussies working abroad who no doubt earn lots of cash they can pump into the Aussie economy
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Its shocking.
Just apply offshore and you'll be granted in a couple of months.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just apply offshore and you'll be granted in a couple of months.
Not relevant to me, as no-one is stupid enough to want to marry me, I was just answering Beoz that onshore timelines are shocking.
And you know well that offshore was horrific not so long back too, before they equalised the fees so everyone decided to do the 'eta then apply onshore' route.
Friend I now who applied offshore about 2 years back waited 12 months for a 309.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 8:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not relevant to me, as no-one is stupid enough to want to marry me, I was just answering Beoz that onshore timelines are shocking.
And you know well that offshore was horrific not so long back too, before they equalised the fees so everyone decided to do the 'eta then apply onshore' route.
Friend I now who applied offshore about 2 years back waited 12 months for a 309.
Yep, it was fairly equal in terms of processing times. But, as you say, with the equalisation of fees and, crucially, bridging visas with automatic work rights there's now little incentive to apply offshore.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. You are talking onshore. I was thinking offshore.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ah. You are talking onshore. I was thinking offshore.
Offshore was taking over 12 months. Then July 2016 DIBP in their wisdom decided to hike the offshore SPouse Visa fee up by about $2000, to be the same as the onshore fee.
Since then shedloads of people have come to Aus on tourist visas and promptly applied onshore instead - thus getting an automatic bridging visa with full work rights.
As a result offshore timelines have now shrunk greatly down to 6-8 weeks, whilst the onshore timeline balloons out of control.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Offshore was taking over 12 months. Then July 2016 DIBP in their wisdom decided to hike the offshore SPouse Visa fee up by about $2000, to be the same as the onshore fee.
Since then shedloads of people have come to Aus on tourist visas and promptly applied onshore instead - thus getting an automatic bridging visa with full work rights.
As a result offshore timelines have now shrunk greatly down to 6-8 weeks, whilst the onshore timeline balloons out of control.
Interesting to know. That would have greatly helped my personal situation 5 or 6 years back as it was being applied for offshore.

Sounds to me like if speed is the important factor, then both systems can work.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:10 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, the law of unintended consequences. They seriously should give legislators a course in 'disbenefits' and the danger of not thinking things through.