Reload this Page >

Documents to prove you became a foreign citizen

Documents to prove you became a foreign citizen

Old Sep 24th 2017, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

HelpWantedSign is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Documents to prove you became a foreign citizen

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone applying for citizenship by descent of a previous Australian citizen could help me. My dad was born in Australia and lived there for 9 years prior to moving to Scotland with his Scottish mum. She was never an Australian citizen...only my dad (I have his full birth certificate) however prior to 2002 if you became a citizen of another country you automatically lost your Australian citizenship until you reclaim it.

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on who to contact or how to go about getting:

* a statement from the U.K. authorities of the other country stating how and when you acquired the citizenship of that country *

I've contacted the passport agency in the U.K. But haven't had any luck hearing back from them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 24th 2017, 6:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documents to prove you became a foreign citizen

What year was your father born? Was your maternal grandfather born in the UK? Were they married at the time of your father's birth?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:38 am
Just Joined

HelpWantedSign is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What year was your father born? Was your maternal grandfather born in the UK? Were they married at the time of your father's birth?
Hi and thank you for the reply. My dad was born in 1964 his father isn't in the picture and hasn't been since he left Australia so I'm not 100% sure on that but I know he and my gran were married and then divorced when she left.

My dad has a full Australian birth certificate and I know he had to gain British citizenship after he moved to Scotland but my gran then moved country in her elder age and subsequently has passed so finding the document she received for him as a child is a no go. That's why I'm looking for someone that's had to apply for this document before just to nudge me in the right direction for getting it
Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to get your father to complete a Subject Access Request form and send it to HMPO. He should ask exactly how and when he became a British citizen. Once he has that come back and provide the information so we can assess if he did in fact lose his Australian citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s-request-form